Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Light reading for a Wednesday morning...

Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Light reading for a Wednesday morning...
January 29, 2014 11:12AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

I don't think any of us are immune from this at times.
"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude."

I do see alot of it in rallying though. The scary thing is when a person severely afflicted pass their "knowledge" down to others.

First heard of while reading this article.
http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

I realized today that this coming 100AW, which I am attending to crew for a friend who will be driving his first rally ever, will be the 10 year anniversary of my first rally.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

Re: Light reading for a Wednesday morning...
January 29, 2014 11:19AM
I think it is closely tied to the "Karate Kid Effect".

http://www.cracked.com/article_18544_how-the-karate-kid-ruined-modern-world.html
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 29, 2014 11:42AM
fliz
I think it is closely tied to the "Karate Kid Effect".

http://www.cracked.com/article_18544_how-the-karate-kid-ruined-modern-world.html

That is a good article you linked to. It mentions something that 30 years after having done it I encounter in magazines and books and is very interesting being in this sport full of dreamers and children dreaming about "their career"---from in front of a keyboard...
He mentioned the "10,000 hour rule".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outliers_%28book%29

Outliers: The Story of Success is a non-fiction book written by Malcolm Gladwell and published by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008. In Outliers, Gladwell examines the factors that contribute to high levels of success. To support his thesis, he examines the causes of why the majority of Canadian ice hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year, how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his extreme wealth, how The Beatles became one of the most successful musical acts in human history, how Joseph Flom built Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom into one of the most successful law firms in the world, how cultural differences play a large part in perceived intelligence and rational decision making, and how two people with exceptional intelligence, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, end up with such vastly different fortunes. Throughout the publication, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours.

Some---who evidently can't read, criticize this idea but failed to see where the guy stresses and makes clear it's "10,000 hours of dedicated practice beyond the comfort level"

Brings us to this light review:

The following is an excerpt from Daniel Goleman's new book, "Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence."

The “10,000-hour rule” -- that this level of practice holds the secret to great success in any field -- has become sacrosanct gospel, echoed on websites and recited as litany in high-performance workshops. The problem: it’s only half-true.

If you are a duffer at golf, say, and make the same mistakes every time you try a certain swing or putt, 10,000 hours of practicing that error will not improve your game. You’ll still be a duffer, albeit an older one.

No less an expert than Anders Ericsson, the Florida State University psychologist whose research on expertise spawned the ten-thousand-hour rule-of-thumb, told me, “You don’t get benefits from mechanical repetition, but by adjusting your execution over and over to get closer to your goal.”

“You have to tweak the system by pushing,” he adds, “allowing for more errors at first as you increase your limits.”
Ericsson argues the secret of winning is “deliberate practice,” where an expert coach takes you through well-designed training over months or years, and you give it your full concentration.

How experts in any domain pay attention while practicing makes a crucial difference. While novices and amateurs are content to let their passive, bottom-up systems take over their routines, experts never rest their active concentration during practice.

For instance, in his much-cited study of violinists – the one that showed the top tier had practiced over 10,000 hours – Ericsson found the experts did so with full concentration on improving a particular aspect of their performance that a master teacher identified. The feedback matters and the concentration does, too – not just the hours.

Learning how to improve any skill requires top-down focus. Neuroplasticity, the strengthening of old brain circuits and building of new ones for a skill we are practicing, requires our paying attention: When practice occurs while we are focusing elsewhere, the brain does not rewire the relevant circuitry for that particular routine.

Daydreaming defeats practice; those of us who browse TV while working out will never reach the top ranks. Paying full attention seems to boost the mind’s processing speed, strengthen synaptic connections, and expand or create neural networks for what we are practicing.

At least at first. But as you master how to execute the new routine, repeated practice transfers control of that skill from the top-down system for intentional focus to bottom-up circuits that eventually make its execution effortless. At that point you don’t need to think about it – you can do the routine well enough on automatic.

And this is where amateurs and experts part ways. Amateurs are content at some point to let their efforts become bottom-up operations. After about 50 hours of training –whether in skiing or driving – people get to that “good-enough” performance level, where they can go through the motions more or less effortlessly. They no longer feel the need for concentrated practice, but are content to coast on what they’ve learned. No matter how much more they practice in this bottom-up mode, their improvement will be negligible.

The experts, in contrast, keep paying attention top-down, intentionally counteracting the brain’s urge to automatize routines. They concentrate actively on those moves they have yet to perfect, on correcting what’s not working in their game, and on refining their mental models of how to play the game. The secret to smart practice boils down to focus on the particulars of feedback from a seasoned coach.

From "Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence." Copyright 2013 Daniel Goleman. Reprinted with permission from HarperCollns Publishers.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

January 29, 2014 03:01PM
NoCoast
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

I don't think any of us are immune from this at times.
"The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their ineptitude."

If you want to read that in the long form here it is:

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~suh/metacognition.pdf
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 29, 2014 03:04PM
John, 10,000 on average. Meaning some might get there n 3,000 hours, while others will never. Doesn't discount the idea of deliberate practice.

Here's reference for some more light reading.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/freakonomics/pdf/DeliberatePractice(PsychologicalReview).pdf

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 29, 2014 03:15PM
NoCoast
John, 10,000 on average. Meaning some might get there n 3,000 hours, while others will never. Doesn't discount the idea of deliberate practice.

Here's reference for some more light reading.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs/freakonomics/pdf/DeliberatePractice(PsychologicalReview).pdf

Grant I was saying I've read some dismissals of the whole idea in some "general reading" type things where they say "Oh all you have to do is do anything for 10,000 hours and presto you're an expert...I don't think so and here's why blah blah............"

And the feeling I've gotten reading what the guy wrote and numerous reference to him in other books (we have almost 9 and almost 7 girlies and we wonder what basic skills we should try and nourish) seem to suggest "a minimum of....beyond comfort level"
Of course some things are ultimately easier to achieve some level of "mastery" and then there is the question of what one considers "mastery"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 29, 2014 04:44PM
Fully agree John.
I have a sister that was one of the top 100 volleyball players in the nation. I experienced first hand the level of commitment it takes to be a top athlete. I believe that same commitment is required for success in career or business. It's also why I say the focus on multi-tasking as a skill is so detrimental. You end up with people like me that do a bunch of different shit but none with enough focus to be a master at it. My day today so far had me doing what is basically analytical chemistry, followed by manuscript writing for a medical journal, then did a bunch of what is essential shipping and receiving, now on to web design, and photography (built a light box for product pics) and later I have bowling in league and then after I'm going to do homework, PhD level statistics/measure theory. Oh yeah, throw in some rally shit always on my mind, trying to sell a caged car project and communicating with former customer about adding some stuff to his cage for him, etc.

Grant Hughes
derek
Derek Bottles
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

January 29, 2014 06:42PM
Good concepts.

I think many activities inform other activities so multi taking is not per say a problem but in all cases focus and pushing limits are very important.

The more I know the more I know I know less than I thought I knew.

In the long run reality always wins.
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

January 29, 2014 08:51PM
The corollary is that the more you learn, the more you realize that there's so much you don't know. Or, "True knowledge is in knowing that you know nothing."

("That's US, dude!"winking smiley

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

January 30, 2014 07:49AM
The flip is that if you have 5% more knowledge than your peers, you get nominated the expert and all the responsibilities that come with it. Attend some 4 hour training and now your the _XYZ_ guy. "Go train 85 school principals on that, your the expert."
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 30, 2014 09:52AM
bknblk2
The flip is that if you have 5% more knowledge than your peers, you get nominated the expert and all the responsibilities that come with it. Attend some 4 hour training and now your the _XYZ_ guy. "Go train 85 school principals on that, your the expert."

That's why i say in our little sport: In the and of blind men, a one eyed man is King"

And spell it "ex-spurt"

And the truth is you don't even need 5% more knowledge, you just need to believe you do, and have some real serious heels for digging in when somebody says "wait, you have a rule and hundreds of people have (after wondering and then calling and grovelling or begging or sucking somebodys ego/cock---metaphorically I imagine) been given "waivers"/ er Duh.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 10:00AM by john vanlandingham.
Creech
Scott Creech
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

January 30, 2014 05:46PM
john vanlandingham
bknblk2

That's why i say in our little sport: In the and of blind men, a one eyed man is King"

And spell it "ex-spurt"

And the truth is you don't even need 5% more knowledge, you just need to believe you do, and have some real serious heels for digging in when somebody says "wait, you have a rule and hundreds of people have (after wondering and then calling and grovelling or begging or sucking somebodys ego/cock---metaphorically I imagine) been given "waivers"/ er Duh.

Congratulations: You have just defined the American Political Kleptocracy.....

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 30, 2014 05:48PM
Creech
john vanlandingham
bknblk2

And spell it "ex-spurt"

Congratulations: You have just defined the American Political Kleptocracy.....

Ah but there are klepto-crats and then there are real kleptos. The real ones keep on stealing and hoarding even when they have hundred of millions..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
b00sted
David Barrett
Senior Moderator

February 11, 2014 08:02PM

winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login