Posted by Skye 
Skye
Skye Nott
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

Re: Project Funmobile: Beaters & Mini buggies & Dirt bikes
March 03, 2014 07:29PM
The Honda Pilot/Odyssey looks good but I've been looking around and a good condition FL400R goes for around $6000+ not exactly cheap (I suppose the lower powered models are cheaper if you're going to do a swap anyway) and while there is a big community of enthusiasts they haven't made them since 1990 so parts aren't going to get any easier to find. Then if you're talking about swapping in a 600cc, you're doing lots of fabrication and expense on an already not-cheap platform and I want something to have fun with right away. Then there's also the issue of "transferable skills" to a real rally car and single gear with hand controls isn't ideal. On the plus side, they are small and easy to tow/store, and the right size to have fun at reasonable speeds.

It seems like I'd be further ahead to just get a buggy kit that takes a motorcycle engine to start with. I've been looking around today and the Edge Piranha is the smaller brother to the new Barracuda I mentioned in the first post. It can take most bike engines from 600cc and up. The designer is in Australia (they sell mostly plans but also parts) and the design seems to be very well tested, it's been built many times, dedicated build and support forums, which can't be said of a lot of other mini buggy plans I've been looking at... I'm getting the impression some people seem to enjoy the build/engineering part more than actually driving them (sound familiar?). Also like rally cars, it seems to be a lot cheaper to buy one already built.

Here's the manufacturer's site:

http://www.edge.au.com/Categories/Piranha

Short review: "The Piranha Buggy is an offroad racing buggy designed by Edge specifically to be built by regular people, in their garages. The buggy comes in both kit and plan form, with the plans option giving you the chance to buy separate pieces from the kit, that you don’t have the time to build/weld yourself. We featured the Barracuda Buggy by Edge last month and it proved to be very popular, the Piranha is quite similar to the Barracuda but it’s been formulated to be much easier and quicker to build. The chassis and suspension elements are easier to build (and cheaper to buy), the rack and pinion steering comes right off a road car and the engine options all fall into the slightly more affordable price bracket."

Even though the plans are from Australia I was able to find several for sale without much trouble (one in Ontario for $7500, one in Michigan for $5500) ready to go so for the same price as a nice Pilot FL400R you get a proven design 660-800cc buggy, with sequential gearbox, with clutch/brake/gas pedals so you get experience shifting in/out of corners and left foot braking if you want, etc etc seems like a big win in the "transferable skills" department.

The other options I've looked at
- Badlands buggy in Alberta: lots of plans but not a lot of builds, not well tested, known design flaws
- Krasch AR51: looks nice, but over $10k to build, hardly any built so none for sale
- Drakart: looks nice but website says "Start at $33,900 turn key" fuck that
- DesertKarts: supposed to be good but doesn't take bike engines well. Obviously sand/dune focus

So right now I gotta say the Edge Piranha is looking like the top choice given my list of requirements in the first post

Tell me this doesn't look fun. Lots of oppo, shifting, power slides
Piranha buggy vtr1000

Attaching some Piranha photos below

www.rallyrace.net
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - 3caee397.jpg (47.7 KB)
3caee397.jpg
open | download - IMG_2325.jpg (71.6 KB)
IMG_2325.jpg
open | download - IMG_6737.jpg (52.4 KB)
IMG_6737.jpg
open | download - IMG_6741.jpg (68.6 KB)
IMG_6741.jpg
open | download - IMG_6742.jpg (51.2 KB)
IMG_6742.jpg
open | download - Piranha-Buggy-by-Edge.jpg (62.1 KB)
Piranha-Buggy-by-Edge.jpg
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

March 03, 2014 07:46PM
Time to break this video out again...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Skye
Skye Nott
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 03, 2014 08:10PM
Another 1L Piranha this time a mad Kiwi going rather quick

www.rallyrace.net
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

March 03, 2014 08:20PM
That piranha looks alot more like my honda than the original pilot did. I got the frame from a lady selling her sons old toys (died in desert storm) came with the 250cc 2 smoke in boxes. She was super happy to see it going back into service. He raced it in some 250 class short course stuff but the frame was a totally custom job.

There was also a 700cc two stroke made here in the US That sold for like 17k new. Every now and then one pops up for sale in the 5-6k range. Name started with an R but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but it was bitchen.

I've looked into the piranha but building one is the same as building a car.... Gotta buy one complete.
Skye
Skye Nott
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

March 03, 2014 08:32PM
Looking around videos from that guy.... the description for this one is:

Moto Retro Race Meeting (old bikes, old blokes, cold beer)
Honda Pilots, Piranha Buggys, Canam Mavericks
Top speed 114km
Average speed 86km
Palmerston North 3rd November 2013

Do we have these kind of events and if not why?????

Anyway there's another possibility the Canam Maverick but yeah they are like $15,000 to $25,000 from what I can see

www.rallyrace.net
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

March 04, 2014 09:48PM
http://gokartsusa.com/Joyner-Python-Buggy-800-2-Seater.aspx

This one seems to tick a lot of your boxes.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Project Funmobile: Beaters & Mini buggies
March 04, 2014 10:38PM
john vanlandingham
Eric Ewert
This is brilliant in my opinion, that being said my opinion is not worth much. Top tier drivers (example: f1) start off in go karts. So why would the same idea not work for rally?

The best have OFTEN started with dirt bikes...some were even national level... Gronholm and Biasion spring to mind.

True, come to think of it so did Colin Mcrae. I think thats mostly due to the fact that dirt bikes are more accessible as is racing/ competing with dirt bikes vs the mini buggy. The mini buggy on paper requires skills that translate more directly to cars than a bike though. Also it probably doesn't beat the living fuck out of your body anywhere near to the same extent that dirt bikes do... you know all about that, right John? smoking smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Project Funmobile: Beaters & Mini buggies
March 04, 2014 10:56PM
Eric Ewert
john vanlandingham
Eric Ewert
This is brilliant in my opinion, that being said my opinion is not worth much. Top tier drivers (example: f1) start off in go karts. So why would the same idea not work for rally?

The best have OFTEN started with dirt bikes...some were even national level... Gronholm and Biasion spring to mind.

True, come to think of it so did Colin Mcrae. I think thats mostly due to the fact that dirt bikes are more accessible as is racing/ competing with dirt bikes vs the mini buggy. The mini buggy on paper requires skills that translate more directly to cars than a bike though. Also it probably doesn't beat the living fuck out of your body anywhere near to the same extent that dirt bikes do... you know all about that, right John? smoking smiley

Look it isn't the 'exact body movements that we need to train up.....the real thing is that thing I was talking about once what I said the Xratty matt has down...it is what i call in my own dialect "the approach".....the attuning the eye and the mind to see and translate 'the world' (the crown of the road, the lay of the curve, the slope up/down, the surface marble--ish or grippy or just 2 line swept, shadow, light, the car--gear position on road, the tires fresh/beat---the whole world) and translating that into second by second decisions on what to do---untouched by human reasoning...

The mechanics of a steering wheel or bars, foot brake only versus finger and foot, shift with hand vs foot....gas with foot vs hand---that's not important....

So it doesn't matter if you ride a bike or some fucking delicate expensive 4 wheel thing...it is the same crap in the head (FUCKIN" FULL THROTTLE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!! OH SHIT! Brake! HA! SAVED IT FULL GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH SHIT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!! Whew! er FULL GAS (CLANG!) Yeeeeeeeeeeeee HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW" <------the internal dialog, notice its all crazed yelling and giggling? No reasoning...

A bike is cheaper, fast enough, stronger, easier to fix, and for real growth and learning, HARDER...

Learn in harder conditions, then some ol slow pokey car is comparatively easy...

Thing is though there has to be a big compulsion, a big internal PUSH or external DRAW to FORCE the student to charge harder into the corner and BRAKE!!! And executing it well takes TIME...

Maybe the hardest part is learning to critique oneself without any other baselone..
Thashing around is fun...
PRACTICE isn't always fun...It's practice...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 05, 2014 09:35AM
A friend of mine occasionally says we need to buy things like this...
I usually try to remind him that he has a caged rally car and it would actually cost less to finish that and just go rallying.
Find someone in PNW willing to finish the car for you for trade for something useful or cash. You have web design skills, every shop needs a decent website but doesn't want to pay someone usually. Work it out.
Keep car in states, rally in Oregon/Washington. Problem solved.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login