Off Topic
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Anyone know anyone in TSD around Death Valley?

Posted by DR1665 
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Anyone know anyone in TSD around Death Valley?
June 18, 2014 04:48PM
I'm in the early stages or organizing a charitable "adventure rally" event wherein people are going to be driving in/around/through Death Valley. As a National Park Service special use permit might prove incredibly expensive, if not impossible, it's been suggested I tap local/regional TSD folks for feedback on routes in/around/through the area.

Anyone here know anyone in TSD around Death Valley? Appreciate any leads at all.

Thanks.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

Re: Anyone know anyone in TSD around Death Valley?
June 18, 2014 05:17PM
I was JUST about to link you to a website you may have heard of... gearboxmagazine.com and tell you maybe get ahold of this guy. He wrote a thing on driving in death valley and might have some useful info.

came back to hit ctrl+v, and glanced at your name.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

June 18, 2014 05:43PM
one assumes you've already contacted these folks:
http://www.therallyeclub.org/index.htm
http://carzero.freeservers.com/
?

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 19, 2014 10:19AM
Paddy1337
I was JUST about to link you to a website you may have heard of... gearboxmagazine.com and tell you maybe get ahold of this guy. He wrote a thing on driving in death valley and might have some useful info.

came back to hit ctrl+v, and glanced at your name.

Haha. That guy. You made my day, dude. Could not have asked for a better reply. Thanks.

By the way, not sure if Mike mentioned this, but even though you're pretty much stripping 464 down and starting over at this point, here's some of its history if you were bored/curious.

Aaron Luptak
one assumes you've already contacted these folks:
http://www.therallyeclub.org/index.htm
http://carzero.freeservers.com/
?
I've not! Almost reached out to LVSCCA, but then remembered I know this really cool, no-BS, let's-do-excellent-shit rally forum and decided to post up here first. winking smiley

Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 19, 2014 04:25PM
DR1665
By the way, not sure if Mike mentioned this, but even though you're pretty much stripping 464 down and starting over at this point, here's some of its history if you were bored/curious.

I think he mentioned it, but without the link, i didn't realize the vast amount of info actually contained. I'm reading through trying to catch up now. 464 is using oil on the little DD i put it through, right now I've been assuming/hoping it's the turbo, but obviously have engine int he abck of my mind.

Mike said it had a pretty fresh, stock rebuild on that engine. Is the engine I have this one? http://www.dr1665.com/2012/03/4641000-rebuild-report-engine-prep/

all the details like lifters used and evo cams, etc. etc., will be seriously helpful info if/when i tear the engine apart. be nice not to replace EVERYTHING...
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 20, 2014 11:20AM
That's exactly why I document stuff like that. Pretty cool how these cars have badges making tracking so easy. You know when you bought it, and now you know when Mike bought it. I bought it from Roger Hull in Prescott, who used to rally a G5 90 GS-T. He bought it from Brett Norgaard, who does hill climb/road racing out in California.

A favorite story: Rally friends Kris and Christine Marciniak stopped over on their way to the Prescott Rally. Kris, getting out of his truck, says "Hey. I think I know that car." I tell him about Roger and Brett. He shouts back to Christine, "Hey Christine! Brian bought Brett Norgaard's old VR4." Then he tells me, "Man, he used to autocross the SHIT outta this thing."

smiling smiley

I hope you keep the AC in the car, as I installed that from pretty much nothing, and it will blow 45°F in 115°F ambient while stuck in traffic without skipping a beat. Great for those summer turnaround stages, right?

Can't really speak to the oil use, as Mike lost a bearing within the first year and had to redo the entire thing. Might have even replaced the engine? You'd have to look up my thread in the General sub on the Org to get those details. (Mike continued my prep-for-sale thread with his troubleshooting efforts a year later. Worth a read.)

Also, unless Mike upgraded the cams, you've got DSM bits. I hadn't modified the Evo units yet, so did not install. I'm saving them for a future 4G63 project, along with an Evo 8 ECU and Cyclone intake, since nobody bought them after 464 sold.

Good luck. Take care of it, it will take care of you. Can't wait to see BOTH my old GVR4s on the stages...

Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

June 20, 2014 03:51PM
DR1665
I hope you keep the AC in the car, as I installed that from pretty much nothing, and it will blow 45°F in 115°F ambient while stuck in traffic without skipping a beat. Great for those summer turnaround stages, right?

too much to reply to it all, but the a/c was taken out prior to me getting the car. Part of the sale agreement, he kept the a/c to sell, I got to get the car at a price I wanted to pay. Same with manual seatbelts and stuff like that.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

July 17, 2014 02:00PM
I **maybe ignorantly** thought that most TSD's don't need any special permissions.

if the TSD always has competitors @ or below the speed limit , and obeying all traffic laws, there's no reasonable requirement for an extra permit (government not being reasonable may require one though)

but i'm fairly sure you don't need any permits unless you are going to make it a "Brisk TSD" but even those can stay @ or under the speed limits ?

I'd be very interested in doing this TSD btw ... sounds like fun , and a good excuse to take the Kid on her 2nd rally .....
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

July 17, 2014 02:27PM
A1337STI
I **maybe ignorantly** thought that most TSD's don't need any special permissions.

if the TSD always has competitors @ or below the speed limit , and obeying all traffic laws, there's no reasonable requirement for an extra permit (government not being reasonable may require one though)

but i'm fairly sure you don't need any permits unless you are going to make it a "Brisk TSD" but even those can stay @ or under the speed limits ?

I'd be very interested in doing this TSD btw ... sounds like fun , and a good excuse to take the Kid on her 2nd rally .....

You may be right. I might be crazy. Or so the saying goes, right?

I'm going to see about working with the guys at landops.com on planning a route and "eyes-in-the-sky," if you will, for this event. Not mentioned herein, you'll have to get a buddy, fundraise the purchase of a $500 POS Ford Focus, fix it up, get it to the starting line, drag race it, time attack it, rallyx it, and then see it auctioned off in Vegas less than 48 hours later. cool smiley

Details forthcoming.

A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

July 17, 2014 03:18PM
Still interested... unless the rules state i can't sell tshirts to pay for the focus (Only need to sell 2.5 shirts)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login