Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

re: Hey Anders, long time, no see...Boy do I have some observations on O'Neille's casual talk that was all over..."The sponsors don't want to see old cars........so maybe we'll have to have a 5 year rule or something..." They could just gouge their sponso

Posted by randyzimmer 
randyzimmer
randy zimmer
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
rallycross 13B Miata

Facebook sucks for this type of shit. The last thing I want is a little red box dinging constantly as each and every asshole with fingers hits SEND.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Junior Moderator

Its a dumb idea, but again, that is the beauty of a non-profit club, the members can vote them out and get rid of the stupid ideas.

Now, I'm not suggesting shit-canning O'Neil and all from the project, but obviously they are biased. Voting people onto the board to create some moderation in their ideas vs an echo chamber is probably not a bad idea.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

The enemy of innovation is a committee. Sounds nice and egalitarian, but it is the worst possible structure if you want to be able to have a body that is responsive to its competitors. All you have to do is look at the insert in Sportscar (if they still have that) to see how ridiculous and officious and slow a member-run organization can be. So much so that SCCA even broke out "Pro-Racing" to get it out from under the membership, but even managed to run that into the ground.

If you have a structure where the sanctioning body treats the competitors as customers - which they are - then all of a sudden you have responsive, streamlined innovation. If the customers don't like it, they can vote with their feet.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Jens
Jens
Godlike Moderator

Who the hell is O'Neille? Oh nevermind I suppose he's the latest rally savior. He doesn't like old cars, eh? Boy that sounds familiar. I bet he/they start yapping about painting those old, ugly trailers.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

Hi Jens. Good to see you're still kicking.
I believe they're talking about Tim O'Neil and the new American Rally Association that has been formed to cure all the ills/bs/etc that RA has thrown the sport.

Don Kennedy
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

i will say i'm not a big fan of a five year rule, but for top level national series why not?
WRC, ERC, Etc have an age limit. I stopped watching the wrc ,erc,etc years ago, its boring.
Walter Rohrl predicted this years ago.

for the weekend have a good time divisional folks no way! run what you brung
i will say that if all the cars that are rallying that event are five years or newer, i will not be there.

manufacturers want to see new cars out and not have an older model making the newer look bad for any reason.

maybe we need more of a weight penalty for AWD cars to help the 2wd cars in the fracas.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Jens
Jens
Godlike Moderator

tdrrally

manufacturers want to see new cars out and not have an older model making the newer look bad for any reason.

How is that manufacturer thing working out in the U.S.? Last time I looked (maybe 10 years ago) the manufacturer blow jobs were only working for the top few teams.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

my point exactly

how many teams are running 5 year or newer cars in US rally now ?
how many many factory or semi factory teams are there in north america rally ?

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

Meh... 1, occasional help for 2 in Canada.

My '88 is mid pack in the field of grey hair'ed'ness...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login