Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Tire options
March 08, 2006 01:04PM
So a few friends of mine have a rally gear shop here in Denver. They have been trying to get rally tires to sell. They were selling Kumho's for a while but were getting them from Tire Rack at little discount and I believe Tire Rack is done importing them. They have been looking at other options and have actually been trying to get Hankook but the Hankook people have been worthless and not returning phone calls or blowing them off or something. I've recommended they focus on tires that aren't $150 and try to get something for real people like Dunlop or Colway or etc. Anyone have any other recommendation and/or contacts for a tire company that they should look into. Champagne Motors contacted Dunlop two or three years ago (around the Firestone/Ford fiasco) about importing their tires and they wanted absolutely nothing to do with the US market for fear of legal implications and sending us non-DOT tires.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2006 01:04PM by NoCoast.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Tire options
March 08, 2006 01:44PM
Skye and I were all set up to import Black Rockets from Finland but the currency exchange markets, stating they had NO CONFIDENCE in the Bush clique's complete and utter lack of any economic programs, had no confidence in the US Dollar, and it sunk from 1 Euro costing 0.885 cents to a high of 1 Euro costing $1.295.

In fact, I am the Oafish-al Black Rocket agent for North America, and Skye and I agreed to be co-distributors for the People's Republic of Canuckistan.

Just did a price check and they price remains steady so they could be sent over.

BUT!!!! the minimum sensible number is about 100 tires with respect to sea frieght and getting any kind of discount.
There is a VERY small margin on tires, the profit comes from the volume.

These are good tires and made on Michelin or Pirelli casings depending on size.
Sometimes maybe Dunlop, again depending on size.

If you guys have capital to do a straight order of at least 100 tires, then problem solved for getting tires which work very nearly as well as Michelin according to our rezident test driver, Derique Boitiles.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
derek
Derek Bottles
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

Re: Tire options
March 15, 2006 02:11PM
Bridgestone also makes rally tires

To quote Eric, I do not have a HP problem I have a tire consumption issue.

Derek

In the long run reality always wins.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login