Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
October 09, 2016 12:36AM
This place would be so much more valuable if people wouldn't feel the need to parse every sentence of a post in order to make futile points that won't resonate with anyone who isn't watching the fight from the sidelines WITH a program.

We all know that the vast majority of drivers in north america are no-where near the capability of their cars, and the simplicity and strength of a well developed 2wd platform can be seen MUCH closer than looking at a WRC level driver in a high spec historic car.

If you look at the results from last weekend's Pacific Forest Rally, besides seeing me filling out the bottom of the pack in an impressively anemic Subaru just ahead of the DLBF crowd, you'll also see someone in their 1st event in a new FiestaR2 running faster than many cars with more power, forced induction, and more diffs.

In fact, The Fiesta R2 beat Adam on every single stage but for one, where Adam eeked out a 2 second gap. If it weren't for a 4 minute timing error, the R2 would have finished 5th overall, and over a minute ahead of the next car. Not bad for the driver's first time out! (there was at least one testing session, and I think maybe two.) No offense intended, but I'm not sure I'd call the driver of the R2 a 'great' driver.

Anyway, I've lost track of what all the back and forth is about - just as most everyone else has I'm sure.

As I see it, the boil down really is:
Good drivers beat bad drivers, no matter the equipment.
Good cars can make it easier for bad drivers to drive well.
Simple, well built cars make for simple, trouble free rallies.
For most - if not all - of us, focusing on improving driving skills will take us farther than focusing on the next piece of bling for the car.

And just for the irony of it
The strongly opinionated guy who says strongly opinionated Calgarians know nothing, doesn't know that Adam isn't from Calgary.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 12:37AM by Not Trolling.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 09, 2016 01:42AM
Not Trolling
(snip)
And just for the irony of it
The strongly opinionated guy who says strongly opinionated Calgarians know nothing, doesn't know that Adam isn't from Calgary.

Who care? where ever the ignorant, conceited little snot was from, he is one now.
A Perfect example.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

October 09, 2016 02:48AM
john vanlandingham
Who care? where ever the ignorant, conceited little snot was from, he is one now.
A Perfect example.
A perfect example indeed.
Adam lives in Edmonton, not Calgary.

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

October 10, 2016 01:24PM
Not Trolling
If you look at the results from last weekend's Pacific Forest Rally, besides seeing me filling out the bottom of the pack in an impressively anemic Subaru just ahead of the DLBF crowd, you'll also see someone in their 1st event in a new FiestaR2 running faster than many cars with more power, forced induction, and more diffs.

In fact, The Fiesta R2 beat Adam on every single stage but for one, where Adam eeked out a 2 second gap. If it weren't for a 4 minute timing error, the R2 would have finished 5th overall, and over a minute ahead of the next car. Not bad for the driver's first time out! (there was at least one testing session, and I think maybe two.) No offense intended, but I'm not sure I'd call the driver of the R2 a 'great' driver.

Anyway, I've lost track of what all the back and forth is about - just as most everyone else has I'm sure.

As I see it, the boil down really is:
Good drivers beat bad drivers, no matter the equipment.
Good cars can make it easier for bad drivers to drive well.
Simple, well built cars make for simple, trouble free rallies.
For most - if not all - of us, focusing on improving driving skills will take us farther than focusing on the next piece of bling for the car.

And let us not forget where that driver got his start... the mighty Saab 96!

Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

October 10, 2016 02:41PM
Robert Culbertson
And let us not forget where that driver got his start... the mighty Saab 96!
True enough. He's also expressed a preference for being dragged through the stage over being pushed around. I think he'll find a happy home in the R2.

dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Godlike Moderator

October 11, 2016 03:54PM
Not Trolling

A well deserved result from a good driver. I have no problem admitting I'm slow, I've said it many times before smiling smiley

Of course, there are a lot of variables you are leaving out in your analysis, but overall, I approve of the message. I think my point was well defined and expressed, and I stand by my previous statements.

Edit-
Oh yea, and to get this back on track a bit and inline with the whole windows aneurysm inducing conversation, enclosed trailers will save rally :p

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2016 04:19PM by dreamsofjvl.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

October 11, 2016 11:56PM
dreamsofjvl
Not Trolling

A well deserved result from a good driver. I have no problem admitting I'm slow, I've said it many times before smiling smiley

Of course, there are a lot of variables you are leaving out in your analysis, but overall, I approve of the message. I think my point was well defined and expressed, and I stand by my previous statements.

Edit-
Oh yea, and to get this back on track a bit and inline with the whole windows aneurysm inducing conversation, enclosed trailers will save rally :p

Adam,

No, enclosed trailers wont save rally (I say flat towing will)... nothing but rally will save itself.

I'd say cannin' the holabollo would save rally but it won't, (we're too immature for that) .

It's been pointed out more then once, watching 2 yr old cars go by slow will not save rally. Watching 20 yr old cars go by kinda fast won't save rally. However: 30 cars of different shEeet goin' friken fast will save rally

Finding out how to solve $5000 in insurance costs for 1000km's... will probably save rally in Canada.. or at least in ON and QC, and NS....

Fawk

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2016 12:27PM by Mad Matt F.
randyzimmer
randy zimmer
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
rallycross 13B Miata

October 12, 2016 09:41AM
re: insurance
I don't live in CDN but if faced with that in NY I'd get creative.
We have a Dealer Plate and Insurance deal that could be used if you got together and trusted each other.
The "Dealership" has to own the cars to use the common plates and insurance.
Being cars for sale, they don't always conform to the rules but they will have to, to be sold... eventually.
In the meantime, they can be test driven and sent to outside shops for repair work (transporter plate).
I worked at a couple shops who had owners and part-owners who were primarily there to use the dealer plates to drive their Ferrari(s).
Not cheap but more ralliests involved make it work.
Take it from there.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Godlike Moderator

October 12, 2016 09:59AM
I don't think there is a good way around Ontario rules, its insane, no insurance shorter than a 6 month term??!

Thats just asinine. Now of course, unless insurance inspections are required with insuring a car, legally they can not remove you from their policy until after an accident has happened and been dealt with. "I modified the car after I got insurance".

Of course, as it is liability insurance, it would be tough to not pay for a liability issue even if the car didnt meet the criteria in the first place.

Honestly, I wouldnt be rallying if I had to go through facility. I can justify throwing money away on a lot of stuff, but $5k per year for car insurance? I'll go race in Mexico at that point, $5k covers a lot of flights.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

October 12, 2016 12:00PM
Canada is charging $5K /yr for liability insurance on a car?

How do people who can't afford a $5K car in the first place get insurance?
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Godlike Moderator

October 12, 2016 12:11PM
fliz
Canada is charging $5K /yr for liability insurance on a car?

How do people who can't afford a $5K car in the first place get insurance?

Not quite.

ALL people must be provided the ability to purchase liability insurance to drive (Canadian law I believe). No one said it had to be affordable.

As such, there is a program in place called "facility insurance" which is basically deadbeat super expensive insurance. Anyone considered "high risk" gets sent there. Cars with rollcages or other racing gear basically get automatically dumped there. That is the insurance that costs $5k/year, paid up front. At the age of 28, my liability only insurance costs $400/year in Alberta for one car. When I first started driving at 16, it was $1400/year.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

October 25, 2016 11:01PM
Zero entries listed for a rally in 18 days time will save rally, if only someone would just enter they would be confirmed truly Elite... and Extreme

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Godlike Moderator

October 26, 2016 12:33PM
MattP
Zero entries listed for a rally in 18 days time will save rally, if only someone would just enter they would be confirmed truly Elite... and Extreme

If someone enters but nobody else does and DNF's immediately, do they still win? And are they then crowned NATIONAL champion in that case if no one shows up to any events the rest of the year?

Damn, that would be some good marketing! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Mega Moderator

October 29, 2016 12:32PM
MattP

I would expect that there is either a glicth in the online registration or they've chosen to keep the entry list hidden. I can't imagine any event not getting a single entry two weeks out, particularly when one of the sponsors is promoting three entries to the event (one each of a car, bike, and ATV - although likely not 'paid' entries but given as a part of the sponsorship deal)

I'm truly interested in seeing what happens with this series. A high-mileage stand-alone regional championship with spec fuel and tires is a bold move in a time where events in that area are complaining about poor entries. It is even more interesting when you consider the organiser ha previously mandated short, one-day rallies for the regional championship he ran for the CARS region. (Those restrictions being his, not the region's)

dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Godlike Moderator

February 14, 2017 11:46AM
JVL posting on facebook will save rally.

Not often I agree with him, but a certain used rally suspension being for sale, John's comments are spot on and I can not disagree with anything he has said.

Also, with the USD, MCA and DMS are downright affordable for USA'ers. $4k usd for suspension good enough to get you to a podium in North America. Rally (suspension) is saved? winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login