Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
November 24, 2015 07:53PM
DG_Rally
Oh and "national" teams entering regional events will save rally? ...or polish the ice for the rest of us?

Are there national teams entering? I just see a bunch of privateers. winking smiley

Maybe every rally should just offer $50 entry fees to any team traveling more than 1000 miles.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

November 24, 2015 08:11PM
john vanlandingham

They could be even more innovative and do like some places have done and go reverse seeding..
The relative differences car-to-car are the same so should be no more catching on stage than is normal and the less prepared cars can better cope with the theorectically nicer roads, and they maybe have a chance to get seen so the Big Sponsors will be gob-smacked at how marvelous they are and how much grit they have, sign the up for million dollar deal, they can quit their jobs and be full time Pro drivers..

And thereby save rally.

I really like the reverse seeding at PIR/1st day of OTR. The speed issue would definitely be interesting on the longer stages though! I'm all for a little more action on stage smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 24, 2015 11:05PM
NoCoast
DG_Rally
Oh and "national" teams entering regional events will save rally? ...or polish the ice for the rest of us?

Are there national teams entering? I just see a bunch of privateers. winking smiley

Maybe every rally should just offer $50 entry fees to any team traveling more than 1000 miles.

Rocky Mountain Rally did that back when it was run by a bunch of furriners who had rallied back home.
Only it was 1000 km.
I joined the club up there just in case I did anything so that the point would show (you could enter on SCCA licence but not get any of the Big Dollar Spors to notice if you didn't score points) and as we all know I never did anything ever, just a 7th or so...maybe because it was a LONG event) and in some sodden beer fest afterwards the Regional guy and Terry Epp---later to run CARS for a long time---and I came up with the idea of "Reciprocal Free Entries" in Alberta for any Washington or Oregon crews and I was apponted to try and negotiate that same deal the other way...

I went to one of the SCCA Rally meetings and gave a report and was basically shouted down by the establishment---bullshit like "Why do you come here and try and create problems?" "What are you trying to accomplish with crazy ideas like that, we have important things to discuss".

Well all but one of those angry guys is dead now so whatever. Thje Canadians thought it was a great idea to encourage some cross-border fun, making it a "PNW vs Alberta Challenge"...and add a little color..
Nope.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

November 25, 2015 09:57AM
DG_Rally
There were rumors that the entry was going to be cheap but wow.

Nemadji Trail Winter Entry List

They did things a little different with the entry fees for the Nemadji Trail Winter Rally too. From the supps:

"In order to assure that the event will break even with a minimum of 10 cars, the
entry fee for the first 10 paid entries is $330. Beginning with the 11th entry all previous
entries will receive a rebate on their entry fee according to the attached rebate
schedule. If we have 15 entries the 1st ten entries will receive a rebate of $110 for a net
entry fee of $220 while the 15th entry will pay $330. The purpose of this rebate program
is to encourage early entry and payment."

Also from Bulletin #1 and their Facebook page:

"***The highest finishing competitor holding a Regional Rally America license will be awarded a $200 discount on the entry fee for the 2016 Sno*Drift National Rally!*** (Competitors holding a National Rally America license are ineligible.)"

Minnesota organizers are trying all kinds of incentives to increase entries, we'll see if it saves rally.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

November 28, 2015 03:22PM
Anders Green
Everything in one place will save rally!

http://tallpineslive.com/

Have a good thanksgiving everyone.

props to whoever took the time... but this is the worst mobile experience eva... can't do anything but sit and wait for it to load, then scrolling around is terrible. rather go to each site.
Perry
Perry Seaman
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
under construction

December 02, 2015 10:51AM
Anders Green
In the world of rally experiments, it will be a good one. I've long held the belief that at "reasonable" entry fee levels, the distance one had to travel made a much bigger impact to the decision to race than any other factor.

Like, if there's a free rally in California, I, given that I live in North Carolina, will not be attending. Even at "they give ME $200", not attending.

Anders

In other forms of motorsport I'm also noticing that the time commitment is a big factor. some of the formula race car events offer essentially free practice starting Thursday morning and folks grumble because they need almost a full week off to tow there, run and return. And, in that crowd if you don't show up for the seat time and car sorting you typically have a significant disadvantage. The organizer does it to give more seat time and people end up skipping events due to it.
I know for me SBR and BRS are typically at least 2 vacation days just to volunteer.

Maybe we should put together overnight Saturday rallies lol. tow out Saturday morning, race all night, tow home Sunday afternoon. cheaper costs all around and achievable without time off for a bunch of folks. Make it friendly for multiple drivers in one car like the crapcan races and see who shows up.

Overnight multi driver "Endurance Rallysprint" will save rally!

Perry

FE570s course bike
KTM 950 ADV
74 Beetle turbo-efi etc..
72 Beetle stage rally project WRX powered
Attended about 15 rallies, usually a volunteer in a course car.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

December 03, 2015 09:38AM
Anders Green
In the world of rally experiments, it will be a good one. I've long held the belief that at "reasonable" entry fee levels, the distance one had to travel made a much bigger impact to the decision to race than any other factor.

Like, if there's a free rally in California, I, given that I live in North Carolina, will not be attending. Even at "they give ME $200", not attending.

Anders

While large distances like that, yes, it's true. I wouldn't tow to Cali for a free event either.

However in the case of the MN rally. If it was a $500 regional with 60-80 stage miles? Ehh... I'd tow up there maybe for a full 2 day event doing 130 miles, but isn't worth my cost to tow 12 hours for 60 stage miles.

But make that cost $50? Well, I'm there without even thinking about it. Just cut my event cost in half.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

December 03, 2015 06:41PM
I'd tow to California for a free event. smiling smiley

On the other hand, I'd happily pay a full (regional) entry fee to an east coast event if I could get a free tow.

Anyway, I think we've had this conversation before.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 08, 2015 04:03PM
Smart watch apps will save rally!

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 08, 2015 07:02PM
Watched still exist?

Grant Hughes
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

December 09, 2015 11:11AM
Having a lower cost to build the car and enter the event would really help. even the the speeds are lower.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2015 12:39PM by tdrrally.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

December 11, 2015 10:06AM
^^^ Grammar, proof reading and/or spell check will save rally?

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Ultra Moderator

December 11, 2015 10:20AM
tdrrally
Having a lowing cost to build the car and enter the event would really help. even the the speeds are lower.

I actually think this focus is hurting the sport.
Instead, I think there needs to be a focus on delivering events that people feel are fairly priced and doing our best to block the 'space race' in car builds and parking lots. In western Canada - admittedly a myopic view of a local phenomenon - we see the majority of teams showing up with enclosed trailers and new-ish tow rigs... this tells me the cost of the build isn't the problem. Then again, we also just had a regional event that drew more entries than most of the National events in the CRC.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 11, 2015 12:44PM
Not Trolling
tdrrally
Having a lowing cost to build the car and enter the event would really help. even the the speeds are lower.

we see the majority of teams showing up with enclosed trailers and new-ish tow rigs... this tells me the cost of the build isn't the problem.

So! Something that we can agree wholeheartedly on. Take it even a bit further and ponder what people choose for daily drivers--and how many newish expenive cars they have, the sheer size of the houses people chose to buy, their frequent vacations to Maui or similar, and then the mundane spec of the cars they build and its hard to believe the complaints that a gearset and final drive is too expensive.
And if you can't belive a person, how do you take their laments seriously?

(And of course I contrast that with what I know elsewhere in the world and I see people living in what by US or Canajian standards would be modest houses or apartments, 15 year old Transit diesel van (whopping 2.5 liter motor) simple lightweight trailers, 20-30 year old cars--but even 20-25 years ago with typically 200-220 hp, close ratio boxes, short final drives, REAL rally cars..
Or even here 30 years ago most guys with a beater van and trailer, rallying a old RX3 or 510 and daily driving the same thing--- and back then we had 8-9 events in just Washington--and 35-45 cars at bigger events... Can't help but to ponder the relationship between the often newer cars and lower participation and mundane driving. Or the types of people who on the one hand are begging for free money to go play on Go-fund-me, then buying a new $32000 car and dropping it off for a pile of paid prep work---and the same guy when a newbie in Alberta is trying to save a couple of hundred bucks on postage and is asking if anybody could detour 3.7 miles--the guy says Yeah, for $80...what a disgusting human being, what a parasite)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

December 11, 2015 12:51PM
Not Trolling
tdrrally

I actually think this focus is hurting the sport.
Instead, I think there needs to be a focus on delivering events that people feel are fairly priced and doing our best to block the 'space race' in car builds and parking lots. In western Canada - admittedly a myopic view of a local phenomenon - we see the majority of teams showing up with enclosed trailers and new-ish tow rigs... this tells me the cost of the build isn't the problem. Then again, we also just had a regional event that drew more entries than most of the National events in the CRC.

sound like thing are better up there than down here in the lower 48. i can go fly cheaper than building a rally car. hill climbs, road racing both have lower cost to build, and enter than rally. the closes event to me is going to have one of the highest entry fees, i question if i even want to volunteer to work it at this point or use my time and money to go do something else. when i got in to rallying the cost was lower than road racing, i could buy an old show room stock cars put skid plates and mud flaps on it and rally and do well enough and most important have a great time. people being invested in the sport is what will save the sport.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login