Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
September 01, 2011 02:52PM
But does the umbrella count as clothing, therefor rendering them not naked umbrella girls?

What else is the new latest? I've heard only very small rumors of what's next and it hasn't impressed me much... so what do you guys have?

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

September 01, 2011 03:16PM
How about RallyMoto as an entrypoint to rallying?

Instead of trying to get Hare Scramble and moto guys, why not convince new rally driver wannabes that the quickest and easiest way onto stage is to buy a bike? They learn road reading and self-preservation, and their costs are quite a bit cheaper than owning a rally car.

You did RallyMoto, you think it's something new competitors would find appealing?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 01, 2011 04:17PM
This won't save rally, but it will save rally videos!
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/camsports-hdmax-motorsports-tv-pack.html

Rechargeable battery.
Integrated screen
Remote start
Second Channel audio input from Peltor or Stilo. Still captures the on-camera microphone for post production mixing
Optional stereo mic with adjustable sensitivity for capturing decent audio.
Ability to hard wire to car for no charging ever.

Seems like this has everything I've ever wished for. I don't find many things more disappointing than in-car video with the shit sound that comes from GoPro cameras. Look at Monster Tajima's record setting run. The fact that the audio is absolute shit is nothing short of disappointing.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 02, 2011 11:58AM
fliz
How about RallyMoto as an entry point to rallying?

...why not convince new rally driver wannabes that the quickest and easiest way onto stage is to buy a bike?

You did RallyMoto, you think it's something new competitors would find appealing?

Hmmm. Chad, that's an interesting thought that I have not considered. I know of existing rally racers (car) that are thinking about or have done RallyMoto because they see the fun and the dollar value of it.

For myself, watching the old Dakar videos (before I rode) I remember thinking it would be amazing to race Dakar in a car... but I didn't consider learning to ride a bike so I could do it more cheaply.

I wonder if it's like "Oh, you like chocolate ice cream? Try some peach ice cream instead." Are you in it for the chocolate, or the ice cream?

Now that I've done RallyMoto, I can comment on "Would starting to rally on a bike help with later rallies driving a car?" Yes. Event flow, rules, timing, servicing, planning, transport, and scheduling are all there. They are also almost all simplified, since you only have to worry about one person and a mechanically much simpler vehicle and less infrastructure. So yeah, it would cheap, fun, and would get you rally experience just like driving a car would.

Would it change your initial stage speed? Probably slightly. I know that I was faster on my bike on stage when I turned on "rally driver brain" than I would have been without having driven rallies.

Would the speed change be a lasting effect? I think it would all level out to experience fairly quickly. I'd bet two similar people, one with four rallies on a bike and four in a car would be very similar to someone with eight rallies in a car. I don't know that you could pick who might be faster. But the bike/car mix guy certainly did his first season for a lot less money. (Assuming he already had the bike, or sold it when done.)

I think it's hard to get people to want Y when they want X. There's certainly a percentage who, if they can't have X, aren't interested at all. Especially when they don't have the existing experience to know what would or wouldn't be fun. "Can't run the turbo AWD I already own? Not going then."

Anders

aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

September 02, 2011 12:22PM
plus why would I wanna pay a 3 or 400 entry fee to rip my bike up a dirt road. The license to ride state land is super cheap.
I get what your saying, but until rally moto entry fees reach the $50-75 range, I'm not really interested. 3-400 is 3-400 closer to completing the rally car. Also, rally moto seems like a lot of risk for very little reward. It's not a matter of if, its when. I think I'll stick to the trails where my cornering speeds are much lower.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

September 02, 2011 12:29PM
I wonder if that's why the Rally moto with in the CRS has fallen down so low ? sad smiley compared to other options the bikes get, the bang for the buck just isn't quite there..

could also be a year of scheduling conflicts. I know since i started rally I've barely done autocross, and primarly due to schedule conflicts. last year i nearly did a full season, this year 1 event...
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

September 02, 2011 12:36PM
Supposedly a bunch of local riders are chomping at the bit to run Rally Idaho next year. We had 2 bikes this year. We'll see what happens but there has been deliberation on changing the date of the rally to cooperate with their schedule and avoid Fathers Day next year.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

September 02, 2011 12:57PM
ooh, i hope they don't overlap it with the VCHC . i was really excited that i can do both next year.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

September 02, 2011 02:56PM
Shouldn't, they were thinking a week earlier. rather than later
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 02, 2011 09:03PM
aj_johnson
I get what your saying, but until rally moto entry fees reach the $50-75 range, I'm not really interested. 3-400 is 3-400 closer to completing the rally car.

That's what I said:
Anders Green
I think it's hard to get people to want Y when they want X.
Entry fees will never be 50-75 for bikes for proper size rallies, any more than they will be 100-150 for cars. The economics don't work, since the length of the train limits the number of entrants. There is no way to scale a rally to 300 entrants.

aj_johnson
Also, rally moto seems like a lot of risk for very little reward. It's not a matter of if, its when.

I feel the ratio is very similar to cars, all things considered. Besides, the reward for cars is also zero. winking smiley

Anders

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 02, 2011 09:36PM
Anders Green
[ since the length of the train limits the number of entrants. There is no way to scale a rally to 300 entrants.

Anders

How'd they do it before?
They even had typical summer evening rallys in Soviet Union (way up there in the Northern latitudes, like in the NW region for the old Leningrad 59N (Fairbanks is 64N ) they routinely had 300+ entries..
If gawddam Commie Rooskies can beat us and have 300 plus entries America ought to beat them, gawd dammit..
Wot da fock are you incinerating?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 09:37PM by john vanlandingham.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 02, 2011 10:05PM
john vanlandingham
How'd they do it before?
With a million miles of road, that you don't need to marshal, you have a train that never wraps.

Anders

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 03, 2011 12:03AM
Anders Green
john vanlandingham
How'd they do it before?
With a million miles of road, that you don't need to marshal, you have a train that never wraps.

Anders

Very short SS miles maybe 30 miles to 40 max. Hundreds done before others have started.

I was at one RM --Riksmasterskap-- a step below National Championship in 89 in Karlstad, same main club that organises Swedish VM rally, and there the boss said, "it's so disappointing, you work so hard and hope for a good entry, and 340 enter but only 320 bother to show up..., so disappointing"

He shat the bed when I told him that then we had maybe 340 in all of America...and had recently had Nationals with 13 entries

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 04, 2011 07:27AM
Yes, it's not the length of the stage, but the length of the whole circus. Many rallies in the US, with 320 cars, 1 minute apart (a bit over 5 hours), the guys at the front would be on top of the guys from the back because of road reuse.

Anders

A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

September 08, 2011 01:31PM
Parts of the Jens version of Idaho might work with 300 entries .. I don't think I've been to an other rally that would work.

I've done dirt drives, that if ran as a rally, would support 300 entries. isn't 300 (besides a fun movie ) about the number of unique US rally drivers that compete in a given year?

I think if we had a rally that kept getting 60 competitors every year, with a waiting list they would find a way to make 80 work. if they kept getting a waiting list at 80 they would find a way to make 100 work. (etc, etc, etc)

What rallies currently are getting waiting lists?

sounds like an awesome problem for a rally to have... maybe .. maybe someday ... er well probably not... lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login