NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Max Attack Mountain West
December 26, 2012 04:02PM
Max Attack Mountain West Regional Rally Championship:
3-4 event regional championship rally series. Mountain West is composed of all states west of and including the Rocky Mountains. Each local series has a single major event. Olympus (PNW), Idaho (Utah/Idaho, North CA/NV), Prescott (CRS), and Colorado (Front Range, 2014 and beyond).

Each competitor has to define a home event and must enter their home event, enter a minimum of two events, and attend the championship finale to qualify for the championship.
$10,000 prize purse is goal.
Two types of points.
Seed points for starting an event.
Finishing points for 1-10 position at each event.

Payouts:
At finale, 40% of purse ($4000) will be distributed evenly to all entered teams.
An additional 20% ($2000) will be distributed to all teams with 2-3 seed points prior to the finale
Remaining 40% ($4000) will be distributed to top 5 teams for championship based on cumulative points.
1 - 40% - $1600
2 - 25% - $1000
3 - 20% - $800
4 - 10% - $400
5 - 5% - $200

Additional funds raised for prize purse will be split with 50% of funds being divided between all competitors and 50% going toward top 5 purse.

Example:
20 drivers
8 drivers with 2+ seed points.

All 20 drivers get $4,000 / 20 = $200
8 seed 2 drivers get $2000 / 8 = $250
1st place + $1600
2nd place + $1000
3rd place + $800
4th place + $400
5th place + $200

No Coast Motorsports will provide video production for the complete series which will be broadcast as Youtube webisodes and delivered to each organizer and any other interested parties for submission to local public broadcast channels. No Coast will deliver the production to the local Denver channel.

Now to figure out who to talk to for each event... smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Max Attack Mountain West
December 26, 2012 11:47PM
I can't tell if this idea is silly and ignored or poorly timed and ignored. Maybe I should switch it to open light instead with aim of at least getting ANY feedback. Meeting with potential funder tomorrow. I should focus all that money towards even closer local efforts probably.

Grant Hughes
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

December 26, 2012 11:56PM
I dunno, Grant. I think it being just after Festivus, it's tough to get serious interest, especially since you posted it in the damn lies forum.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 27, 2012 01:16PM
That's because it's just a rumor now. I emailed it to a few friends on the 24th also but didn't hear any comments about the idea then.
Now that I think about it though I don't know that there is enough 2WD guys in this region that will be willing to travel. It may make more sense to change it to Open Light. We ended up building five cages in 2012. A Subaru, a subaru, a subaru, a subaru and an integra. We have another getting dropped off Saturday and another on the horizon. Both Subaru. RWD is so much more fun but... We have two shop BMWs to cage and one customer one that is mimicing Daves build and thus overcomplicating the build (towers and engine swap) but not in the smart way of just writing an even bigger check to have someone build it combined with health issues for the owner we'll see when that gets started.

One additional part of the idea that I did not mention was tiered entry fees. Home event you pay the full price entry but non-home events you still pay the full price entry but a portion is refunded after the finale. Let's say each event was willing to do a $200 rebate.
If you claim Olympus as your home event and enter just Olympus and Prescott, you'd get a $200 rebate from Prescott at the awards ceremony. Using the above example, if you do not place in top 5, you still get $400 back from the series.
If you entered Olympus, Idaho, and Prescott, you'd get $200 back from Idaho as well so a total of $200+250+200+200 or $850. If you also took first place for the series you just won almost $2500.
Getting the organizers to agree to this idea is harder though. I have often thought that all events should have a reduced regional "out of area" entry fee. By proclaiming that reduced fee as a rebate provided you compete in the full series should motivate people to enter all the events a little more? Or is all the bitching about $100 for a license fee just bitching and $100 or $200 is not really enough to motivate people to actually do anything?

Grant Hughes
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

December 28, 2012 03:34PM
well i really want to finish the rx7, i wont make olympus due to poor timing, but should be at Idaho.

whats this colorado business?

I dont know if the numbers game between turn out for olympus and idaho would make a rebate possible

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

December 30, 2012 11:15PM
my reasons for not commenting earlier were:
a) got a little confused early on, and kinda went into tl;dr mode.
b) from skimming, an even on deeper reading, it's not exactly clear what the post is trying to do - state a fact, solicit input, ???

the bit that confused me:

Each local series has a single major event. Olympus (PNW), Idaho (Utah/Idaho, North CA/NV), Prescott (CRS), and Colorado (Front Range, 2014 and beyond).

are these local series a prerequisite for this championship? IMO only 2 of the 4 locales you've listed have anything even resembling a local series currently...

aside from that confusion-inducing bit-

interesting approach to the payouts. at first I was going to bitch about seeding points as being unnecessary, but I understand how/why you're using them. Would it really change the proposal that much to change the 20% payout to be "teams that have started 2-3 events before the finale"?

I think, with meaningful local series to feed into it, a championship structure like this could work pretty well - with my criteria for a "successful championship" being a) high % of competitors "entering" the series (ie. doing enough events to have a shot at winning) and b) close points battles.

how will it work in the current rally climate? will it be a viable "next step" for the competitor looking to expand from doing their one local rally a year? I could see this, although your structure might bias entry numbers towards the finale (since all "entries" have to compete in it), with a slight secondary bias towards the next closest event to the finale (for those entries for whom the finale is their home event). will it entice not-quite-competitors to finish (or start) that car in the garage and work towards it? speaking just for myself - marginally; the thought of having a meaningful regional championship to compete in is nice, but not much motivation compared to the thought of 3-4 ~$300 rallysprints 2-3hrs from home.

in other words: not as useless an idea as a National Championship, but not as useful as other ideas. In fantasy-land, that sponsor who'd kick down $10k for a mountain west championship would be willing to throw $2.5k at a Front Range local series, and that'd be the way to go - but unfortunately, your sponsor probably lives in the real world...

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

January 16, 2013 07:20PM
Jeez, Grant. I didn't see it until now.

I'm in.

Gotta do better than posting in some obscure subforum of some obscure internet forum for it to work.

And tell me more about CO.

Self-righteous douche canoe
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

January 16, 2013 09:19PM
More comments.

The CRS has dropped its CRS-GT class in favor of an Open Light class, so there might be more Open Light cars being built in the SW. I know of a few that're in the works. However, I think that the Open Light guys are at about the same budget level as the Group 2 guys, so they're probably just as likely to tow/not-tow to events.

As mentioned above, I'd seriously consider competing in such a thing, but I'm a 2WD guy and have no plans to switch.

Since Olympus is two weeks after Idaho, it might make sense to look at some kind of alternate event selection. Not sure what to suggest though. Mendocino might make a good candidate, but they probably need one more year to mature. They're expanding with some new roads, but it's unclear what kind of impact that will have on the event.

And finally...tell me more about CO.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 30, 2013 06:14PM
Holy shit! Mendocino is now two day and 100+ stage miles!
Revised schedule.
Idaho - Olympus - Mendocino - Prescott.

Grant Hughes
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 30, 2013 06:48PM
hmm... very tempting to make this work out. pics seemed good for mendi. Olympus is just on top of idaho so that sucks for me... Id like to actually make a little series...

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 30, 2013 07:22PM
so idaho in june. olympus in june. mendocino in late july... Man thats a busy busy summer.

shiza
Dan Norkus
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

January 30, 2013 10:05PM
I didn't see this until now. I will be out of the country for all of those events unfortunately.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 31, 2013 10:44AM
Gravity Fed
so idaho in june. olympus in june. mendocino in late july... Man thats a busy busy summer.

Better to be busy than bored!

Plus it gives you all winter to get ready, makes it easier as you can make it into one big towing loop. Stupid Mark is having his wedding reception in Iowa on July 21st but it seems like a tow from Denver to Boise, then Boise to Seattle, fly home, fly back, fly home, fly back, Seattle to Mendo, drive home. Or head south to Phoenix and leave rig ready for Prescott.

Grant Hughes
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 01, 2013 08:19AM
NoCoast
Better to be busy than bored!

There's no fixing bored.

Busy, well, you can just stop. Watch some TV or have a drink. But bored... aweful.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login