Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Rally Country Club
January 11, 2013 10:00PM
Here's another idea.
Fleet of vehicles.
Each driver pays $X as an initial buy in.
They then pay $X annually for maintenance.

This membership guarantees them use of a spec rally car at local sprint events up to X times per year.
They have to provide wheels and tires though they are available through club at discount and storage/swapping is provided.
Allowed X number of testing/practice days.
Allowed X number of track days
Allowed X number of school days in car, both gravel and snow.

Sound silly?

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

Re: Rally Country Club
January 11, 2013 11:38PM
Only sounds silly in light of all rallyists being perpetually broke.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

January 12, 2013 12:26AM
I'm hoping to pick up a few acres when we move to Montana for a bit of a home made one...
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 12, 2013 12:02PM
It would be neat as a way of sharing costs. I imagine there would be more people in the clab than there are cars so therfore, costs are spread out and cheaper than owning your own car.

Question is, can you get enough people to make it affordable and avoid resource conflicts where more people want to participate in a particulat event than you have cars?

Why would I participate? Sounds like it could be a cheap way to try out the sport. Less cost than getting my own car, a support group of others involved in the sport, less risk if I decide it's not for me after a year. I don't have a car I need to sell for half what I paid for it.

Why wouldn't I participate? I'm more independent and I like the control and freedom of owning my own car. If I decide I don't like the sport, I could sell the car and may end up losing less money than a years membership cost me.

Tim.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 12, 2013 01:30PM
I think Dave may be planning to build the other compact as a rental and something for people to get feet wet in a rally car. I plan to build low spec and sell but it occurred to me, why not instead of building and selling for 5k, sell to two people at 3k plus annual fee of 1k for upkeep.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

January 14, 2013 01:55PM
NoCoast
I think Dave may be planning to build the other compact as a rental and something for people to get feet wet in a rally car. I plan to build low spec and sell but it occurred to me, why not instead of building and selling for 5k, sell to two people at 3k plus annual fee of 1k for upkeep.

Biggest problem at the moment is lack of events for a shared car and/or enough $$ to be able to purchase land to ensure a long-term place to use the cars. I wonder if it simply makes more sense to rent the car instead...maybe a rent to own like some of the shops are doing with HANS devices?

Dave
TylerEstes
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
E30 325E "practice girl"

January 14, 2013 05:03PM
NoCoast

I'm not saying that's a bad idea ,but if I drop $4k on something, I wanna own it. What if someone crashes and it's not fixed by the time I wanna race it? My jimmies would be thoroughly rustled.

wanna rent for two years? That's $8k for something you don't own. You don't get that money back. Might as well just cage a Foxbody or Camaro or 240 or something and sell it at a slight loss.

would it make more sense to have rally cars that aren't quite as good (i.e just cage and tires) and have the fees be cheaper? say, $1,500 a year? More availability, more renters. More cars, etc.

Why do you even need brakes? Are you some sort of pansy or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 05:07PM by TylerEstes.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 14, 2013 05:33PM
I guess we'll add math to the list eh Tyler. smiling smiley
$3k buy in (aka one time fee) plus $1k per year. So it's $3k up front then $1k per year to show up and race and the only thing you have to worry about is buying tires and wheels. It's no specific car, might be green one event, red the next, etc.
You can buy the car outright in the full race ready spec for $12k. Buy in will prorated towards purchase of your own car in future. Options for utilizing the car at larger stage rally events would exist.

Probably grossly underestimating the cost of the club.

We would have to have as many cars as members built in case the entire club all wanted to run the same event. If we're also selling tires and built cars this still benefits us.

Rally car ownership is overrated.

Grant Hughes
TylerEstes
Tyler Estes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
E30 325E "practice girl"

January 14, 2013 05:43PM
NoCoast
I guess we'll add math to the list eh Tyler. smiling smiley
$3k buy in (aka one time fee) plus $1k per year. So it's $3k up front then $1k per year to show up and race and the only thing you have to worry about is buying tires and wheels. It's no specific car, might be green one event, red the next, etc.
You can buy the car outright in the full race ready spec for $12k. Buy in will prorated towards purchase of your own car in future. Options for utilizing the car at larger stage rally events would exist.

Probably grossly underestimating the cost of the club.

We would have to have as many cars as members built in case the entire club all wanted to run the same event. If we're also selling tires and built cars this still benefits us.

Oh okay. I misunderstood.

Yes...do that.

Can guys show up in their own rally cars and race guys in rented cars?

Why do you even need brakes? Are you some sort of pansy or something?
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

January 15, 2013 01:50PM
Rallymech
Only sounds silly in light of all rallyists being perpetually broke.

Not all... but the ones that aren't spend their time jetting around and drinking expensive liquor, not posting on internet forums like us. *grin*

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
JohnLane
John Lane
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

January 27, 2013 10:08PM
NoCoast
Probably grossly underestimating the cost of every piece of the puzzle you've thought up sofar... not to mention the reality that getting this insured... -Uh-oh.

Helped you out with that.

Sounds all nice-nice until a car or three gets wadded up.
An engine or three gets kaboomed.

Hell.... It's a rental and the driver's only responsible for tires.... Ponder that for a moment.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 30, 2013 06:12PM
JohnLane
NoCoast
Probably grossly underestimating the cost of every piece of the puzzle you've thought up sofar... not to mention the reality that getting this insured... -Uh-oh.

Helped you out with that.

Sounds all nice-nice until a car or three gets wadded up.
An engine or three gets kaboomed.

Hell.... It's a rental and the driver's only responsible for tires.... Ponder that for a moment.

Actuarial estimates mean the total revenue per year covers expected costs. The hard part will be when all three engines go kaboom two weeks before an event, then you'd better make sure you have some cushion money in the club.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login