Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Growth touted again in a sport that's down 20%.

Posted by webkris 
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

Re: Growth touted again in a sport that's down 20%.
January 23, 2013 12:09PM
MConte05
I know you guys really really hate RA on here, but they aren't stretching the truth much....

Hey Matthew,
I was talking specifically about the RA National entries (what the PR was about). I'm not sure if the hype machine is getting regional competitors to come out, or the economy is actually rebounding. What do you think?

Here's what I'm referring to: (source - http://www.rallyracingnews.com/)
NEFR (MFPR) National Competitors
'06 - 40
'07 - 30
'08 - 24
'09 - 17
'10 - 27
'11 - 23
'12 - 27

100AW National Competitors
'06 - 31
'07 - 35
'08 - 31
'09 - 27
'10 - 29
'11 - 28
'12 - 28

Snow Drift National Competitors
'06 - 26
'07 - 35
'08 - 31
'09 - 25
'10 - 33
'11 - 26
'12 - 29

Even if we see the National entries to these National events climb back up to average (35ish) - constantly talking about growth here is just a lie. Look at the 100AW Entry for 2013 - http://www.100aw.org/?page_id=63
I count 18 National entries...
23 for Snow Drift this weekend.

How tied together do you think these are? Is the number of National Competitors driving the Regional? Or - Is there no correlation and we should have stopped trying to push regional and national a long time ago? OR - Do we have it all wrong and we should focus on the regional competitors?

- Kris

* edit - snow drift is THIS weekend - 100AW is a month out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 12:16PM by webkris.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

January 23, 2013 12:52PM
Just think, if Subaru was paying start money at Sandblast, your entry would be chump change.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 23, 2013 12:53PM
MConte05
At least it is people out there having a blast for cheaper than trying to run some hard-to-find car. Sometimes it pays not to be an automotive hipster.

There are zero Volvos out here in the midwest, and hardly any Xratties. Subarus alone are tough to find.

Move.
To pursue my sport--which was somewhat more popular than rally is now, but still an obscure sport then---I worked, saved some money, and moved from Seattle to Stockholm, Sweden..

when I was 17 years old...

If a high school graduate can move across the world at 17, it can be done.

Move someplace with more activity, more woods, more good cars..

OR!!!!
Ponder this:
How have those crash-happy maniacs in Finland fill their entry lists with cars that ceased production more than 20- or 25 or more years ago--often with 3 or 4 times as many of these 20-25 year out of production cars---than we have total entries??

How especially when we see them crash more cars in one event than we get in entries?

The key to a lotta stuff is in these questions...

You certainly have seen the videoes. They are not waiting around. They are significantly faster than 99.9% of North American "so called pointie headed endz o da stickie" ..

How do they keep the cars flying?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

January 23, 2013 01:45PM
Right, quit my fantastic job that I enjoy, sell my house that I just bought and move somewhere so that I can run a Volvo a few more times a year than I already do.

I do this for fun, I have fun. I'm not the quickest by any shot. I don't care what car I am in. I got a Subaru because I found it for stupid cheap on CL. I enjoy that Subaru corporate helps out with rallying in the USA, it helps me do my HOBBY more often.

A lot of us do this for fun a few times a year. Rally America has helped me do that. I am not dedicating my life to doing it, I'm not out to win a championship. It's me and my best friend having an absolute blast.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 23, 2013 02:21PM
eh mazda's contingency program seems much better in my opinion. Subaru doesnt really do crap for me unless im running a newish model at a National level.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 23, 2013 02:22PM
MConte05
Right, quit my fantastic job that I enjoy, sell my house that I just bought and move somewhere so that I can run a Volvo a few more times a year than I already do.

I do this for fun, I have fun. I'm not the quickest by any shot. I don't care what car I am in. I got a Subaru because I found it for stupid cheap on CL. I enjoy that Subaru corporate helps out with rallying in the USA, it helps me do my HOBBY more often.

A lot of us do this for fun a few times a year. Rally America has helped me do that. I am not dedicating my life to doing it, I'm not out to win a championship. It's me and my best friend having an absolute blast.

Well you seemed to be making something that sounded like I don't know what. A complaint or a snide comment...

and you know just because a car is hard to find in the one place for cheap doesn't mean it can't be done...There are roads going all over the place including where guys can get cars cheaper, like nearly free.....just might take a little driving...

And just because a car is competitive and capable of lots of performance for a relatively low cost doesn't distract from the fun factor.
Some suggest it enhances the fun factor to be able to mod a car for fractions of the cost of some others.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

January 23, 2013 02:41PM
Gravity Fed
eh mazda's contingency program seems much better in my opinion. Subaru doesnt really do crap for me unless im running a newish model at a National level.

Everything helps it's a couple stickers and a phone call to sign up. The Subaru pay out to regional guys went UP $100 this year. good for them.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 23, 2013 02:42PM
Gravity Fed

Well then just run out and buy a new one! It's just debt!
If you were serious you'd just step right up!

(thank Gawd we ain't serious!)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

January 23, 2013 02:44PM
We all do this for fun a few times a year.

I just don't understand why a contingency program wasn't the thing announced??
Why not say "Subaru, Ford and Honda are supplementing entry fees and helping out with A, B, C, cheap parts and service for regional and national competitors - getting more people interested in the sport!"
Instead of this weird disconnected “ - even more excitement for the manufacturers, fans and teams this year,” just give us the details on how getting Manufacturers involved is awesome for EVERY competitor! Why is a MFR. National Championship great? How does it help all of the people competing?

Who are these press releases even for?

"The Subaru contigency certianly is helping a ton. That $900 regional entry fee is now $600 for me (already paid!)"
If this is true - why the hell wouldn't you mention that in a Press Release about a National Manufacturer championship support?! - http://vtcar.com/rally/subaru-contingency-program/

Your audience is down here RA. We're in the service park busting our ass to get enough money to attend your events.

- Kris
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 23, 2013 08:47PM
subaru start up increased? nice. whats the information on that? my OL guy i codrive for and I are planning OTR

John Reed
John Reed
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

January 23, 2013 09:21PM
Maybe I need a BRZ body kit for the Corolla. Haha

Great to see some manufacturers supporting the sport, and not simply by funding a single team.

Can't exactly blame anyone for wanting to rally a scoobie, potential for some factory support, a bazillion rally specific parts, etc.

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 09:21PM by John Reed.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 23, 2013 09:34PM
but... but... rear wheel drive! dang it!

MConte05
Matthew Conte
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

January 24, 2013 07:41AM
webkris
We all do this for fun a few times a year.

I just don't understand why a contingency program wasn't the thing announced??
Why not say "Subaru, Ford and Honda are supplementing entry fees and helping out with A, B, C, cheap parts and service for regional and national competitors - getting more people interested in the sport!"
Instead of this weird disconnected “ - even more excitement for the manufacturers, fans and teams this year,” just give us the details on how getting Manufacturers involved is awesome for EVERY competitor! Why is a MFR. National Championship great? How does it help all of the people competing?

Who are these press releases even for?

"The Subaru contigency certianly is helping a ton. That $900 regional entry fee is now $600 for me (already paid!)"
If this is true - why the hell wouldn't you mention that in a Press Release about a National Manufacturer championship support?! - http://vtcar.com/rally/subaru-contingency-program/

Your audience is down here RA. We're in the service park busting our ass to get enough money to attend your events.

- Kris

I will agree with you 100% there. They should market their new contingencies as the big manufactures helping out the little guys. Not really sure why they aren't!
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

January 25, 2013 08:00AM
Gravity Fed
subaru start up increased? nice. whats the information on that? my OL guy i codrive for and I are planning OTR

http://vtcar.com/rally/subaru-contingency-program/regional-program-rules/

up from $200 previously. any subaru, any year, any drive configuration winking smiley and no more registration apparently, the money goes to the organizers it seems.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

January 25, 2013 08:14AM
KTurner
Gravity Fed

http://vtcar.com/rally/subaru-contingency-program/regional-program-rules/

up from $200 previously. any subaru, any year, any drive configuration winking smiley and no more registration apparently, the money goes to the organizers it seems.

That alone makes it fantastic IMO. Used to be you'd get a check cut from Subaru a month or two after the event. Now its $300 that I can use to better prepare the car prior to the event. Only catch is that you have to have the money ready very quickly after registration opens, as it is only for the first 10 cars.

I had to petition to VTCar to allow for older legacies to be included. It used to only be for 93 and newer Imprezas, or 1995 and newer Legacies. Didn't make much sense, had a few emails with the guy running the contingency, they talked with Subaru, and decided to let all model year Legacies run. So far to date have gotten $700 saved thanks to the contigencies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login