Posted by Anders Green 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: What's gonna happen in 2014?
January 03, 2014 09:40PM
Here's one thing that's has already happened, FIA seats changing to date of manufacture instead of expiration year as of 2014. Maybe belts too, I can report back when my first inventory order comes.
Oh yeah, No Coast Motorsports retail is also happening in 2014. Suppose I should finally learn to build a website shopping cart...

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

January 04, 2014 11:05AM
Snidewhips
curious to see if cars extending seat life brings in or back competitors complaining about it. as for me hope to be on stage june. seam welding is done, time to insert integra stuffs and drive to cagingst

we'll see... I had hoped we had dodged a bullet, but alas, my seats are '03, 8 events, and need replacement.

crowdfunding anyone?
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

January 04, 2014 11:12AM
Mad Matt F
we'll see... I had hoped we had dodged a bullet, but alas, my seats are e11 years old and need replacement.

Did you read through the MSA test material regarding seats?
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/news/Stage_Rally_seats_report_Sept_2013.pdf

It makes a clear case for something I've said for a long time. Composite seats degrade in strength over time regardless of if they are used or not.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2014 11:28AM
yeah Keith I read it.

I run cheapo sparco sprints. tube steel... so the untested weakening by corrosion inside a tube that has never been outside is going to give way when my infinite improbability drive goes into over clock and I go up in a ball nanoparticles. ..

I understand the composite issue...

I really think we should be pushing some speed factor rules like drag racing...

the justy, the echo, the lada... they are not fast. yes accidents happen to slow cars...

edit.

the 1.75 DOM cage in my car is unprotected on the inside. I guess I should cut the cage out...

not trying to be a prick... just saying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 11:48AM by Mad Matt F.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

January 04, 2014 11:47AM
Mad Matt F
the justy, the echo, the lada... they are not fast. yes accidents happen to slow cars...
Actually, the worst non-fatal (but life changing) injury I've seen at an event was in a 'slow' car on a slow corner.

Mad Matt F
I really think we should be pushing some speed factor rules like drag racing...
Such as?
Can you point to other sanctioning bodies who do this for rally? (CAMS does, I think)

As a side point. The Sprint is an absolute SHIT seat. I can't imagine spending a whole day in one of those.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 04, 2014 12:06PM
We will not have problems like this:

Re: Finnish rallying championship news

Unread postby Japé » 04 Jan 2014 09:31
At this point does not look too good: SM (Finnish Rally Championship) 24 participants. F-Cup only 139 participants. I'm sure the economic situation has given negative effects to Finnish motorsport serieses already couple of years.

We will continue with 3 classes for Blue Subarus with no visual difference, no performance difference, and the drivers can can continue to write press releases about th class winds that nobody cares about because nobody cares about rally anyway

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2014 12:10PM
Keith,

I know, and I have heard you speak of that incident before. I understand we could have a big one. .. But the probability of it actually being big is lower (saying nothing of the probability of occurance), as we are traveling at a lower speed through every corner (a likely lower speed unless I forget to brake!). So over the whole course we have less energy to dissipate...

20 + yrs of coaching ski racing tells me accidents happen to beginners, yep they break femurs too... but kids doing 120km/hr down a super g are going off bigger then the 8 yr old on the t bar...

I find the Sprint fine. I'm 5'8" 165lbs. it is essentially suspended so it soakes up bumps. I could sit in it on a drive to the Soo and not complain.

as per drag racing. .. I don't know specifics but if you pass under x you need a hoop, under x-1 a 4 point and belts, x-4 better cage and so forth.

Edit's 'cause typing on a phone sucks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 02:07PM by Mad Matt F.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2014 02:02PM
Keith,

Re-read your post on a real screen...

No I can't point to another sanctioning body that does it for rally. Wanna be the leaders or the followers? ;0

Ultimately I will buy new seats (probably another set of sprints, yeah yeah, head wings, whatever... it's all part of my point)

The rising cost of sport is really getting out of hand... Probably driven by our overly affluent lifestyles.

In the eighties, I raced on one pair of skis, I got to choose between slalom's or GS... When "break-away gates" hit the little leagues, we duct-taped newspaper rolls to our shins.

At the turn of the century the kids I was coaching - at the same level I raced at - had 2-4 pairs of skis, training slalom, and training GS; race slalom, and race GS, speed suits worth upwards of $500, armour from head to toe for slalom. We had B netting set down the side of every GS course, training or otherwise. No more of those kids went further than any of my friends... in fact my generation of racers probably saw more "make it" then the following, and our parents spent considerably less % of their disposable income on us.

Today I couldn't ski a Slalom on a pair of GS skis, because the technology has become so good, so specific, the ski won't turn like that.

It's the same with Hockey...

I'm just trying to be part of the BRAKE on the whole thing. If we keep coming up with ways to protect ourselves more, we will go faster, so we'll need more protection, so we can go faster... and soon we'll be sitting at our PS6, remising of the days when we actually got in a real car out in the woods.

Oh yeah, almost pulled out infront of an oncoming car on transit at Pines, as I was struggling to turn my head in the HANS, Nice borrowed carbon fibre unit with free tethers...
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:

January 04, 2014 02:31PM
Sorry to beat a horse...

Just thinking more on this.

In 2004, I was "applauded" for showing up in a entry level car, with "seats", when the rules didn't require them. OEM stuff was still fine.

Some 10 years later... we have gone from ligit OEM seats to current rules.

I feel like being the barking dog today, sorry.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

January 04, 2014 11:35PM
One point to add to Matt's counter against Keith's slow-car/slow-corner example. It's a single event. An anecdote. And, as Grant can verify, the statistics for single events - especially outliers - have monsterous confidence intervals. Even when the mean level of danger for one group is twice as high as that for another (and Cohen's d for the difference is as high as 2), the odds that the single highest amount of danger faced is from the "safer" group is still almost 1:1 when the Ns are small, as they are for North American rally.

tl;dr - fuck anecdotes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2014 11:36PM by Iowa999.
NBS2005
Jeff Rivera
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 Mazda 323

January 05, 2014 10:57AM
Iowa999
One point to add to Matt's counter against Keith's slow-car/slow-corner example. It's a single event. An anecdote. And, as Grant can verify, the statistics for single events - especially outliers - have monsterous confidence intervals. Even when the mean level of danger for one group is twice as high as that for another (and Cohen's d for the difference is as high as 2), the odds that the single highest amount of danger faced is from the "safer" group is still almost 1:1 when the Ns are small, as they are for North American rally.

tl;dr - fuck anecdotes

Toby, don't be bringing science to a good interweb debate. We don't need no stinking science!

And yes, I could not agree more with what you posted.
Paddy1337
Tim Patrick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Galant VR-4

January 05, 2014 12:56PM
I'm going to hit some rallies this year. We start the cage on Monday.

But will be missing my hometown rally, Sandblast, due to being in Afghanistan. One more reason to hate that place, lol.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Professional Moderator

January 05, 2014 02:45PM
NBS2005
Toby, don't be bringing science to a good interweb debate.

Too much like bringing a knife to a gun-fight, isn't it?

Well, at least I omitted the proviso concerning the shapes of the distribution(s). Although, to be honest, I did this mostly because I couldn't bring myself to type "Normal" (with or without an upper-case N) ... not on this site.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

January 05, 2014 04:29PM
Tell me about it.

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 06, 2014 03:44PM
In 2014, Fearless SharkCat (now old enough to drive legally) enters & saves Rally using only 1wd and double inverted JVAB-telestruts

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login