Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

Hello from the midwest!
March 24, 2014 03:53PM
Hello,

I'm a current college student looking to transition from the pavement pounding I'm used to into running on gravel, snow and various other surfaces. I've been doing autocross racing for 8 years now and after visiting the 100 acre wood rally I'm seriously looking into setting up a Volvo for stage rally.

Granted I run a Mitsubishi on the pavement I'm quite familiar with the Volvo chassis, having spent most of my childhood riding in them and currently using a 91 244 as a daily driver. As soon as I'm sure the old car will survive I'm planning on taking it to run rally cross events to gain seat time. So for now I'm here to learn and seek advice on car set up and the general background comings and goings associated with a rally event.

I have enjoyed watching rally events since I learned that they existed back in middle school, so I'm really looking forward to graduate and start making money to set up a car to sling gravel with.

Tim Ritter
#72 SMF
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Hello from the midwest!
March 24, 2014 09:50PM
Autoxgalant72
Hello,

I'm a current college student looking to transition from the pavement pounding I'm used to into running on gravel, snow and various other surfaces. I've been doing autocross racing for 8 years now and after visiting the 100 acre wood rally I'm seriously looking into setting up a Volvo for stage rally.

Granted I run a Mitsubishi on the pavement I'm quite familiar with the Volvo chassis, having spent most of my childhood riding in them and currently using a 91 244 as a daily driver. As soon as I'm sure the old car will survive I'm planning on taking it to run rally cross events to gain seat time. So for now I'm here to learn and seek advice on car set up and the general background comings and goings associated with a rally event.

I have enjoyed watching rally events since I learned that they existed back in middle school, so I'm really looking forward to graduate and start making money to set up a car to sling gravel with.

Tim Ritter
#72 SMF

Hi Tim. man seems to be a new locus of RWDdom growing in the Misery, Kansas Tejas area. Where's Shitsburg?

Whatcher studying? Alternative Theatre Marketing and Promotion?

You couldn't have chosen a better car---who cares how its spelled...
You been looking at Patrick Derows of Ericv Everts or Justin Mason's builds..Justin is closet , he's in Gladstony , Misery...And then there's Al Kun's and Ian Toppings cars done already and here in Sleezattle there's 3 240s already...

Something is spreading....it's like a ......disease!

How long you have left to fawk off enjoying the good life of a student?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 02:30PM by john vanlandingham.
Creech
Scott Creech
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

March 24, 2014 10:09PM
Pittsburgh.

About 20min.. "Left" of Joplin, MO.

About an hour from me......

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 10:11PM by Creech.
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

March 24, 2014 10:40PM
Honestly, the wrong car I chose has proven to be an excellent platform. Its been super reliable and requires just enough fab work for custom parts to get me started into things and learn without being overly difficult. For a wrong wheel drive it is very well balanced and I've come to learn a lot about performance driving in it.

I don't really tend to play favorites with cars though, just some that really get my attention, like the old bolbo's.

I'm studying Automotive Service Management, but since I got a hands on associates its called Power Mechanics. I don't really care what its called its been good for me and hopefully will continue to in the future.

Pittsburg is like Mr Creech said, about 20-30 minutes west of Joplin and almost directly south of Kansas City by about an hour and 45 minutes. Funny thing though, I see a lot of you all are from the midwest, I happen to have grown up in Marysville WA, just north Everett.

That is good to see people in this area that are into more then just circle track and drag racing. It seems the only relief is the SCCA guys in KC and the Ozark Mountain region, but on a college budget I haven't been able to do much more than squash cones.

As I've said before, its gonna be around this time next year before I even start on building a car, so I can graduate and settle into a good job. Actually I'd rather purchase a car and go, but its gonna be a volvo, haha. So if in a years time anyone feels like selling me a car, let me know!

So for now I'm here to learn what I can as to hopefully not make too much of a fumbling ass out of myself when I'm finally ready to rally!
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

March 28, 2014 04:23PM
Tim,

Either John missed the n't at the end of could or he's pulling yer left leg with a b22 crank...

He's probably the Current Nort 'Merican Abandoned Volvo 240 salesman of the year... (He made me buy one years ago (RIP)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 28, 2014 04:54PM
Mad Matt F
Tim,

Either John missed the n't at the end of could or he's pulling yer left leg with a b22 crank...

He's probably the Current Nort 'Merican Abandoned Volvo 240 salesman of the year... (He made me buy one years ago (RIP)

That was a good 'un twern't it?

Well don't snivel, fly out stay on couch and we'll send you home wif an udder....Ya so when the mighty Justy is banned, or they add 1200kg ballast AND a 10mm restrictor cause the big buck teams feel threatened by the sheer fawking awsom-itdue-nessly bitchiness of it you'll have a Flan P.
Or Plan B, (getting loopy--I really am starting to have troubles with p/f, t/d, b/v and th is almost gone..Sumpins puckin wif me head)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

March 31, 2014 02:20PM
I've come to find the humor on this site is more along the lines of how more things should be, ie no need to take everything too seriously.

I don't think there is much that needs to be sold about a Volvo 240, RWD, proper gearbox (albiet weak), and delightfully simple, what else do you need? I mean, unless your my girlfriend, who thinks mine is too loud, stinky, hot, ugly, catches fire too often, and encourages me to drive way too fast and sideways on snow and gravel, but come on, thats why I love the car!
Anders Green
Anders Green
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

April 01, 2014 07:18AM
Yeah, she's totally wrong. I think it catches fire just about as often as they're supposed to. winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

April 10, 2014 10:02AM
Well the first time wouldn't have happened if O'Reilly's didn't sell me an FPR with a faulty O-ring that shot fuel all over the turbo, oops. Good thing I have plenty of experience with surprise fires, lol.

After that It shot oil out the crankcase vent doing some wicked sideways spinny things in a parking lot and shot oil on the downpipe, wasn't really a big deal, a casual low water drop was sufficient in getting it under control. Now it vents to the exhaust, which pulls a lot of vacuum, so if it happens again the fire will just go out the tailpipe! Which is always cool in my book!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login