OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

Sunroof Panels
August 16, 2014 08:59PM
Two part question,

1) We have a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS prepped for CARS Production 4WD rules. CARS rules state that sunroofs must be non-class and 'in a fixed position' which we've just interpreted as 'closed'. The guy who built our car thought it was awesome that he saved the working sunroof but I really wish he hadn't. Scrutineers haven't bothered us yet but I'm not sure if that's just because they haven't bothered or we're operating under the correct interpretation of the rules. I don't want to poke the bear by asking officially. smiling smiley

2) I'd would like to get rid of it but frankly the operation hasn't made it to the top of our priority list. What do most folks do to remove them? Take out the panel/gear and weld a skin in place? Rivets (ugly!)? Or is it best to replace the whole roof skin?

I really want to add a trucker vent to the roof since our events tend to be pretty dusty, but with the sunroof in place the edge of the panel is right where the vent would go so there's no real way to do it without taking the roof out anyway.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: Sunroof Panels
August 16, 2014 10:31PM
CARS 17.3.5 indicates traversing a stage with the sunroof open is a serious violation, 10 min penalty. If you weren't allowed to have an operable roof, the penalty wouldn't exist.

When I built my RX7 I confirmed this and left the sunroof operational. Interestingly, FIA's Gr.N regs at one point said glass roof panels needed to be laminated glass or have anti shatter film.

Replacing the roof skin is probably the easiest and cleanest way, bit we regularly see a patch in the hole. Gutting the sunroof after the cage is in might be tough.

As for the vent... You could install it further back and still get positive pressure in the cabin to keep the dust out.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
OjNK
Gordon Sleigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS P4WD

August 16, 2014 11:02PM
Thanks Keith, never put the two rules together to make a logical answer. That makes me feel better about having it there. I still want to get rid of it in the end though.

As for installing the vent further back I guess it could be done into the sunroof panel itself, but then the sunroof is non-operational anyway so it might as well be done properly (And have less chance of leaking over time). Plus with the 'X' of the roof bars there's not a lot of placement flexibility.

Atlantic Canadian Region Rallysport: http://www.rallyeast.ca - Ledwidge Lookoff Rally http://www.lookoffrally.com
2000 Impreza 2.5RS CARS P4WD (Sponsored by Rally-Tech, Great North Performance)
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

August 16, 2014 11:27PM
I was thinking 'behind the main hoop' far back.
Airflow will be less than optimal there, but should still create enough flow to keep the dust out.
Airflow past the occupants really is a side benifit of the vents, the main purpose is to stop the dust from getting in by creating a positive pressure environment in the cabin.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

August 17, 2014 08:04AM
The normal deal is to take the guts out but leave the flanges on the roof and the sunroof panel. Then use tabs to weld the sunroof flange to the roof flange. That way you don't warp the roof or burn the paint. Then fill the gap with Sikaflex 291 or similar.

You can kind of tell in this picture.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 17, 2014 10:55PM
Using the moonroof panel is the easiest route. We weld little tabs in the bottom and then set it in, tack it in a few spots and fill the rest in with whatever shit someone else does it with because I haven't been there so couldn't tell you but I'll probably get some of what Dave recommends since Dave recommends it and that's the whole point of this forum.
Ryan's wagon had an aftermarket SUN roof so we had to reskin it with a junkyard roof. Spot weld drill bits and battery powered reciprocating saw at junk yard made it not too bad and not too expensive. Even color matched it if you're Michael Jackson.

Grant Hughes
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

August 17, 2014 11:34PM
would super structure glue be an acceptable by cars standard? over kill with jb weld and let set. with sunroof skin? mines not glass and fitted perfect.

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login