Advanced

T5 Wizard Help Needed

Posted by Eric Ewert 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

Re: T5 Wizard Help Needed
December 14, 2014 10:37PM
It does look like those steps are from a manual john. i used my super sleuthing skillz to find that out.
But little ol me can't figure out why you thinks I don't knows all dis stuff. But I had worked so hard to learns ze knowledge.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 15, 2014 12:31AM
Robert Culbertson
It does look like those steps are from a manual john. i used my super sleuthing skillz to find that out.
But little ol me can't figure out why you thinks I don't knows all dis stuff. But I had worked so hard to learns ze knowledge.

All I know is what you wrote "NWC have 200-240 ft/lb capacity"
That coupled with "WC 300"..

Neither are correct, and neither are helpful.

And neither have anything to do with what the poor bastid was trying to get an answer to.

I can't figure out why you wrote what you wrote..

Whatever, the kid got his answer and he's moving on...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

December 15, 2014 12:33AM
Morison
Eric Ewert
If you were actually trying to make a point that john has quality knowledge on these transmissions (which I seriously doubt you were) then you may want to re-evaluate how you say it. I won't speak for others but as far as i'm concerned those were clearly shots fired at him that were both inaccurate and unjustified.

I suggest you take a step back and re-evaluate things you read.
Yes, I was actually saying that John's knowledge and opinion here comes from study and experience.
No, I wasn't taking a shot at him (and am at a bit of a loss to figure out how complimenting someone's knowledge and experience can be seen as a shot)
Stop being paranoid, particularly on behalf of another, and take what is being said at face value.
Stop forcing drama into places where it doesn't exist. There's enough bullshit in the sport hobby these days.This is one of the areas that only a fool would question John's knowledge and experience. I ain't no fool.

I'll be honest the "what more do you need to know" comment struck me as something intended to mock him. Kind of along the lines of very sarcastically saying " well he is all knowing."

To be fair I, and all of us have seen a fair bit of carnage between the two of you and I just didn't want that because I am tired of that shit every time I try and ask something (its not always you two btw). So I jumped to a conclusion. Sounds like you genuinely meant good by what you said so I apologize.

Well now two gear boxes disassembled and will hopefully press both counter gears out this tuesday. Hoping to have a bag of gears ready to go minus adapter plate by the end of the week.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 15, 2014 12:41AM
Eric Ewert

To be fair I, and all of us have seen a fair bit of carnage between the two of you and I just didn't want that because I am tired of that shit every time I try and ask something (its not always you two btw). So I jumped to a conclusion. Sounds like you genuinely meant good by what you said so I apologize.

My only concern was that what he says I say was wrong... I say the ratios are more important to fret about that small details of needles vs roller bearing or supposedly hi-tech coatings on the syncro ID..
I've never said that.

Whatever--again, you got the answer, you know what you're doing..

Hey you checking the ID of the tailshaft housing bush? Ya know where the yoke pokes in?
Lotta guys skip that and then chase driveline vibrations and decide they need aluminum or carbon fiber prop shafts--cause the yoke is sloppy and wobbling around.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

December 15, 2014 01:24AM
Yea, eh honest mistake. Moving on.

The bushing? You referring to the seal at the end of the tail housing? Cause I got a new one with the rebuild kit.

Oh do you happen to have a handy chart showing tooth counts and associated gear ratio? Cause i'm starting to wonder if gearbox #2 is a v8 one.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Junior Moderator

December 15, 2014 02:38AM
John, I was sort of adding some insight to what Pete was asking. He ended his post in a question.
Anyways, I did not post the encyclopedia version of the t5, just a range of crap and the reasons why some people choose the WC over the NWC. I have both, chosen for drastically different reasons. Oddly enough, none of them were chosen for their torque capacity.
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

December 15, 2014 06:32AM
Eric Ewert
Yea, eh honest mistake. Moving on.

The bushing? You referring to the seal at the end of the tail housing? Cause I got a new one with the rebuild kit.

Oh do you happen to have a handy chart showing tooth counts and associated gear ratio? Cause i'm starting to wonder if gearbox #2 is a v8 one.

All V8 boxes are 2.95 or 3.35 ratio 1st, the transfer gear ratio dictates the torque capacity, taller gear means less stress trying to rip the trans apart. Taller transfer ratio means taller 1st gear. Nutshell: IIRC this generally means the input gear has 23 or 24 teeth depending on if it is a 3.35 or 2.95 1st box. I have a Ford one of one count, need a Chevy one of that count, Chevy never made one with that gear, so I have to have my Ford one machined down to Chevy input size and hope it doesn't become a wear item.

Mating a Ford box to a Mazda engine, Mazda was kind enough to make their pilot Chevy-sized, but they put the starter where the trans flange would be so the available trans adaptors are for Ford T5s (which is a different mounting flange than any other Ford trans because Ford can be dicks sometimes)

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 06:35AM by Pete.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 15, 2014 11:20AM
john vanlandingham
My only concern was that what he says I say was wrong...
Which is why I couched the comment with 'Unless I'm mistaken - which happens from time to time.'
Apparently this is one of those times.
The point stands that this is one of the areas where your well thought out advice is invaluable.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 15, 2014 11:29AM
Eric Ewert
Fair enough.
Unfortunately most of what flew around here stemmed from misreading what people said, or by reading things into it that weren't intended.
Start with the comments at face value and see what you get... if it doesn't quite make sense, only then look for the other layers.
Personally, I'm doing what I can to get rid of needless drama around me... including the crap that flies around here.

Eric Ewert
Well now two gear boxes disassembled and will hopefully press both counter gears out this Tuesday. Hoping to have a bag of gears ready to go minus adapter plate by the end of the week.
Well done.
When I do tackle a bit of mechanical work - which isn't often enough - I find it very satisfying. I can imagine the pleasure you'll get from ripping down a stage with a gearbox you've assembled yourself.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2014 11:32AM by Morison.
AaronJMcConnell
AaronJMcConnell
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Impreza

December 15, 2014 11:54AM
Sounds like a lot of effort. It might be easier to order a gearset from gearboxman. Not expensive. Available in close or wide. Just a suggestion. Good luck
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

December 15, 2014 10:38PM
Well thanks Keith but I am famous for taking stuff apart and never getting it back together. This has to be an exception or I am screwed! That being said this Bag O' gears strikes me as pretty straight forward to rebuild.

Aaron I have pondered that but its the case I need to swap. Both gearsets are good its just the v8 ratio gearset is in the broken case (bellhousing tab broke off). As far as ripping the second one apart down to case it took roughly an hour and most of that time was spent drinking beer. If I had the dough I would order up a brandy new one or a different box all together. This way I save a fair bit of $ over buying a refurbished one or a new gearset. And I get the v8 ratios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login