Posted by William Marenich 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Another VW MKII Golf
February 10, 2015 02:37PM
I'm still wondering why people are spending time blasting springs? Who cares if it weakens them.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
I really have one and use it.

February 10, 2015 02:39PM
I apologize to William, who started this nice thread about a VW Golf ...
William : again, Nice car. good luck.

I'm out... way out.

Sincerely, John B.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2015 02:41PM by Yellowhammer.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

February 10, 2015 03:18PM
video: http://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=854883087883985
But what's the spring rate of a tabby?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 10, 2015 07:34PM
Yellowhammer
Hey, again... just STFU about arguing..
No Shoulder-chip found here, and I think my record is pretty solid on NOT telling people what to do or not do, cause I done-did it back in the stone ages so-it-must-be-right= always, for everyone..

I was just talking out loud again... without doing my 729 years of research, again.. is that ok with you sir ?!? no? ok, just deal with the fact that not everything is a book report and needs footnotes.

again I don't give a fuck and I don't think I am honestly bothering anyone but you. Are you the fucking forum cop here now ?

_ __ _____ _______ _____ thumbs down ANARCHY!! ... no not really.

* what a total dick you are. Stay off the internet for 10 minutes and build some shit..
Hey, there's an opinion for you, not a fact...
take it any way you like it, sir.

jesus.

I'm not a total dick---only people that I have problems with are ego maniacs and idiots...

You get off this guys thread with your imbecilic old wives tales of bullshit some other retard told you.

go get one of your "rally cars" going one day instead of blabbering shit for 7 or 8 years.

I've spoken with him several times, spoken, like humans, he's a bright guy with feet on the ground not some schmuck living in some fantasy make believe land..

And change you name back so we all see the name of an idiot..

Because being an idiot is obnoxious.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Yellowhammer
John Barnett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
I really have one and use it.

February 11, 2015 06:46AM
john vanlandingham
Yellowhammer
Hey, again... just STFU about arguing..
No Shoulder-chip found here, and I think my record is pretty solid on NOT telling people what to do or not do, cause I done-did it back in the stone ages so-it-must-be-right= always, for everyone..

I was just talking out loud again... without doing my 729 years of research, again.. is that ok with you sir ?!? no? ok, just deal with the fact that not everything is a book report and needs footnotes.

again I don't give a fuck and I don't think I am honestly bothering anyone but you. Are you the fucking forum cop here now ?

_ __ _____ _______ _____ thumbs down ANARCHY!! ... no not really.

* what a total dick you are. Stay off the internet for 10 minutes and build some shit..
Hey, there's an opinion for you, not a fact...
take it any way you like it, sir.

jesus.

I'm not a total dick--- only people that I have problems with are ego maniacs and idiots...

objectively, I am neither.

You get off this guys thread with your imbecilic old wives tales of bullshit some other retard told you.

Not an old wives tale. The person telling me that was not a retard. that is a fact. but yet you are spewing your usual bullshit and whom exactly am I arguing with ? you ? huh?

go get one of your "rally cars" going one day instead of blabbering shit for 7 or 8 years.

-will do. mon furrer. That's what I'm trying to do and will do. Sorry I missed a few days wasting time and arguing on the internet because of my annoying day job. oh, Please come tell me, in person, at a rally some time how much of an idiot I am. please.

I've spoken with him several times, spoken, like humans, he's a bright guy with feet on the ground not some schmuck living in some fantasy make believe land..

- until he says something you don't agree with, then he's arguing, an idiot, or an egomaniac...your words. now you throw in schmuck and fantasy land....

And change you name back so we all see the name of an idiot.. because why? because you want me to ? please quote the statement I made to anyone (else) calling them anything negative or saying "if you don't do it the way I said, you are a moron.."

Because being an idiot is obnoxious.
I absolutey agree with that. .

You argue and shit on seemingly everything and everyone, every thread is treated as your personal thread, yet you, even when not being talked to directly, want to come in and start calling names and calling people idiots.

On one point you are absolutely right and occasionally I do need to be reminded of : Internet rally forums are about the biggest waste of time I have ever run across. They should be a place to exchange ideas, good and not-so-good, without some pissing contest that you concoct in your mind. new plan : More time working on a project and less time reading your bullshit.

I wish nobody else any bad will, but JVL you are the most miserable fucking narcissist I have had the pleasure of feeling sorry for. Wasted potential.

I guess we should all just empty our checking accounts and send it to you and maybe whomever is deemed worthy by your arrogant ass might get a completed car in less than 7 years. hahaaha not.

'Oh dear! John Van Rallyking does not approve of something I said or did... whatever shall I do ?'
eye rolling smiley

I mean seriously, what exactly is it I said or did that infuriates you so ? cause I'd like to keep doing it - it's kinda funny how pompous you are and get so revved up over nothing.

and I don't think I will let you get the last word in, chief.

this could have been responded to this way :

"yes, sandblasting springs with sand or ____ , is probably not a good idea, but I have done shot-peening or whatever and it works great, and here's why = " -

was that be so hard ? something like that would be helpful.

... or am I 'arguing' with you again ?

you, cap-locking to anyone that they need to quit arguing, that makes me lol in real life.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

February 11, 2015 08:21AM
^^ Cool story bro. I thought you said you were leaving this thread yesterday?

William, sweet car! Are you going to run any events this year? Magnum Opus?

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
ReluctantGolf
Kevin Andrade
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Mk2 Golf for my rookie year in SCCA RallyX...MK2 GLI with 1.8T for my first event..

February 11, 2015 10:07AM
William, congrats on the car!! I actually looked at this car but didnt move fast enough! I wish I had though! Good luck with it!
DexterVW
David Baker
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

February 12, 2015 09:32AM
Yes back to this Car, this thread and this mans dream! Sweet car! I looked over it at a hillclimb last summer, its clean and ready for a lot of abuse! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Good luck!
Dave
William Marenich
William Marenich
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

February 12, 2015 12:50PM
Sorry, I have not updated this much. I was recently bit by a dog and was unable to turn any wrenches. Things are healing up nicely, and I should have some updates with in the week.
Towona
Tony P
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

February 12, 2015 01:07PM
Takes lots of pictures... of everything. I regret not doing that over the years.

Runamuck Rally
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 12, 2015 02:18PM
William Marenich
Sorry, I have not updated this much. I was recently bit by a dog and was unable to turn any wrenches. Things are healing up nicely, and I should have some updates with in the week.

Bit by a dog?
Don't be so hard on the car!
A little engine work and 4.67 final drive and it won't be a dog, it'll kick ass!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
William Marenich
William Marenich
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

February 12, 2015 04:20PM
While I am in there, I might as well install a multi-plate diff, something nice like a gripper. What is the shortest RnP I go with? I keep seeing in my searches about a group buy in the past, is there any more laying around?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 10:20PM by William Marenich.
DexterVW
David Baker
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

February 12, 2015 04:29PM
Also look into getting an O2A/O2J trans. They are a lot beefier! Usually you can make the money back on the swap by selling off the 020 to some other dub head.
William Marenich
William Marenich
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

February 16, 2015 08:06PM
I had a bit of time to tear apart my shocks, here are the inserts, hopefully we can use of the parts. I can see totally see why the VW Golf top mounts are junk. After I pulled the passenger side shock from the car, bits and pieces and bearings crumble to the floor. Pretty much the same thing happened to the other side, it just waited a bit longer.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2015 08:38PM
OK, it's those kinda inserts (sigh--or groan) OK the upper part, the 40mm part can be used. Hoping of course they're straight. The rod (which is inside the yellow tube) is threaded on its end and screws into the bottom part...usually it is staked.. Like 4 points the center punch it so it doesn't unthread itself in use. When its those kind the threads are usually about 10mm length.

When we make real rally stuff the upper part rides on 2 long bushes about 38mm long with a gap about the same (which we fill with grease)...The rod threaded part is then about 19mm long so first it threads into the strut bottom and sticks out about 10mm and on that we run down a jam nut..

So the instructions written should be "Change rod to normal rod--19mm threaded portion--set travel at (you decide) 190 or 200mm......valve 300/100" and return to JVAB..

With a manly man type grip you ought to be able to slide the yellow tube off...That'll let ya see if the bump rubber is still there and exactly what shaft travel is on those, and let you measure the upper body just to be sure what length it is...All the 12-15 VWs that I've done the half-upgrade thing were straight inserts, so they didn't have to change the rod....
I guess you got the low-priced spread...

WAIT!!!! P30?!!!

P30? Er uh I think the normal stuff is P36 (P is patrone, French for "cartridge" which les Allemendes borrowed for example see Wiki.de

Die Patrone 7,62 × 51 mm wurde als Ablösung der Patrone .30-06 Springfield von Frankford Arsenal aus der .300 Savage entwickelt. Im Dezember 1953 wurde sie als Standardpatrone der NATO eingeführt. Die Firma Winchester bot diese Patrone erstmals 1951 unter der zivilen Bezeichnung .308 Winchester an.

In Deutschland wird die Patrone vor allem im Sturmgewehr Heckler & Koch G3 und dem Maschinengewehr MG3 verwendet.

Klar, junge?

The inverted 40mm --the normal stuff for lighter cars, and the 41mm stuff is known as P36..
40 or 41mm OD of the upper body and a 36mm working piston..
There is some smaller stuff, I've mostly encountered it on those other things, aus Bayern, weisst du, but street stuff--just so they can pose and brag they have Bilsteins...

Dood, whip out your super präcsion Messschieber and measure the upper body, please.
And report...

The rears maybe the easiest is I cut a few new snap ring grooves lower down for letting the lower spring seat sit someplace that lets you run a nice long spring so coil bind isnät anywhere near happening..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login