Posted by deaner 
deaner
Dane Aura
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Harness mounting ??????
February 19, 2015 07:37PM
So I'm figuring out a plan for mounting harnesses when my seats show up next week. Planning on wrapping the shoulder straps on the cage and welding in plates for the lap belts. One on the sill and the other on the tunnel. Question I'm pondering is the sub/nut crusher belt mount. Vag cars (vw/audi/Porsche) have the stoooopid built in slider doohickey with the slide release bolt/pin in the front. Just forward of about where your nuts would be. Could I run a bolt through that mount for that belt?

If not, I was planning on welding a plate in for the nut crusher. Is it best to weld that in under the seat some so it's got more of a "shearing" pull to it vs pulling straight up if it was mounted further forward? Does that make any sense?

Cars in the back of the shop buried until I get another chassis cut up and out of the shop, otherwise I'd post up pics of the "vag slide release doohickey," but I'm about positive more than a few of you know what I'm referring to.

Thanks!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

Re: Harness mounting ??????
February 19, 2015 11:39PM
Don't weld in plates. A shitty weld can make things worse than just the plain sheet metal as far as strength. Use eyebolts with backing plates and get clips for the side and crotch belts. You can get the hardware at racerwholesale.com. Makes adjustment and replacement a lot easier too. The eyebolts will actually fit the threaded holes that held in the stock belts in your vw, but those holes will not be optimally placed for use with race seats. Crotch belts should be located near or behind crotch and wrap around. Mounting them too far forward could cause you to submarine.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 11:40PM by wvonkessler.
themxracer121
Adam Hardin
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Jetta

February 20, 2015 08:53AM
Unless you're freakishly short and mounting the seats closer to the firewall the seat "slider doohickey" is too far forward to mount sub belts.

On my Jetta I just cut them both off so I could mount the seats lower and then the sub belt is wrapped around a slot in the seat mount (located rearward of the slot the belt goes through in the seat) Then the cross-car "tunnel" that the seat slider was on top of made for a great place to mount fire extinguishers on the front side. They fit just in front of the seat and basically sit on the floorboard.

Adam Hardin #122 VW Jetta Mk3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2OLsNlm1z7gWe-Q-hTx8Q
deaner
Dane Aura
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

February 20, 2015 09:22AM
themxracer121
Unless you're freakishly short and mounting the seats closer to the firewall the seat "slider doohickey" is too far forward to mount sub belts.

On my Jetta I just cut them both off so I could mount the seats lower and then the sub belt is wrapped around a slot in the seat mount (located rearward of the slot the belt goes through in the seat) Then the cross-car "tunnel" that the seat slider was on top of made for a great place to mount fire extinguishers on the front side. They fit just in front of the seat and basically sit on the floorboard.

Haha I figured it was a bit far forward. Been sometime since I've worked on the car so my memory is a bit foggy. So for your sub belt you wrapped it around the rear seat mount/bar?
deaner
Dane Aura
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

February 20, 2015 09:28AM
wvonkessler
Don't weld in plates. A shitty weld can make things worse than just the plain sheet metal as far as strength. Use eyebolts with backing plates and get clips for the side and crotch belts. You can get the hardware at racerwholesale.com. Makes adjustment and replacement a lot easier too. The eyebolts will actually fit the threaded holes that held in the stock belts in your vw, but those holes will not be optimally placed for use with race seats. Crotch belts should be located near or behind crotch and wrap around. Mounting them too far forward could cause you to submarine.

So you're saying to sandwich through the floor? Unless I'm missing something, both the seat mounts and cage feet are welded in just fine. Is there something different about belt mounts? Good call on the eyebolts and clips. Until I looked today, I thought the tabs on the harnesses were stitched in, so you couldn't change them to clips. I'm still learning..... Haha
themxracer121
Adam Hardin
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Jetta

February 23, 2015 08:47AM
my cage and seat mounts were done here in St. Louis at Izzy's and the driver/codriver seats are swappable so the sub and lap belts are attached to the upper part of the seat mount which then bolts to the cross bars welded between the sill bar and the tunnel.

the sub belt isn't at an extreme angle, it's actually wrapped around the front part of the upper seat mount, but it happens to be slightly rearward of the slot in the seat. you just definitely don't want it mounted forward of that position. I don't have a good photo of it unfortunately and nearly impossible to get a photo without removing the seat. if you're still confused maybe after 100AW I'll take them out to clean the car up and snap a photo.

Adam Hardin #122 VW Jetta Mk3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2OLsNlm1z7gWe-Q-hTx8Q
deaner
Dane Aura
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

February 25, 2015 09:06AM
themxracer121
my cage and seat mounts were done here in St. Louis at Izzy's and the driver/codriver seats are swappable so the sub and lap belts are attached to the upper part of the seat mount which then bolts to the cross bars welded between the sill bar and the tunnel.

the sub belt isn't at an extreme angle, it's actually wrapped around the front part of the upper seat mount, but it happens to be slightly rearward of the slot in the seat. you just definitely don't want it mounted forward of that position. I don't have a good photo of it unfortunately and nearly impossible to get a photo without removing the seat. if you're still confused maybe after 100AW I'll take them out to clean the car up and snap a photo.

I think I'm understanding. I need to flip through the RA book again and double check, but I'm pretty sure FIA doesn't allow belts to be mounted to any part of the seat mount? My cars buried in the back of the shop, my seats and harness isn't here yet and I'm pretty sure in overthinking this whole thing haha. Good luck at 100AW!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 09:06AM by deaner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login