Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

Re: Introduction / 4 seater cage question
February 24, 2015 05:48AM
I LOVE IT!!!

colt vista awd turbo , protoevo ? of a sort

keep up the good work

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
William Marenich
William Marenich
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

February 24, 2015 06:51AM
With your knowledge of the CSM/DSM, I am surprised you are not building one of these.

This was my first failed attempt at building a rally car. Second time I bought one.

tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2015 07:21AM
next time use the subframe from outlander

its all beefy evo I-III bits and nearly bolts in

Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

February 24, 2015 08:57AM
Now that Galant is an excellent rally car! Build that! We beat the ever loving shit out of one competing in Africa and it was perfect.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 10:18AM
timiacobucci
No you are totally correct, I'm not saying I don't love my colt, but I would have built that gsr. It did not have a proper title

Is the galant better than a dsm? What about a 3000gt?

Uhhhh Yeah (in best socal Valley Girl accent)

Galant is WRC worthy car..
Those other things are piles of shit.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2015 10:55AM
a dsm is a parts car for galant and mirage/lancer

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 01:11PM
You gonna drive a micro van at least do a version of this, with some Misterbitchy car painted on instead:

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

February 24, 2015 02:11PM
I second the Gaylant.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 02:52PM
wvonkessler
I second the Gaylant.

Well the thing is the piccies of all the real nice stuff shows the guy has money.....so the cost of a derelict blown Gaylant is NOT a consideration....

This bizarre microvan is a choice, something chosen. All the "reasoning" is all rationalization after the fact..
He wants to do a micro-van.
Because.
Well once again in best Valley Girl accent "Like. What evar"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2015 03:16PM
follow the pack or blaze your own path

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 03:32PM
tdrrally
follow the pack or blaze your own path

The only "pack" in North America is the Subaru pack...

Most of whatever that is good in the world is done using existing GOOD Models as a beginning point...Ignoring the collective experience of in essence the whole world not only appears foolish, it is..

But there is something to be said when putting effort into something that the thing might also be driven well...Its not like any of us are particularly good, and just because somebody can stick a bunch of unrelated parts together doesn't mean its going to be any good...

Whadd eva

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 24, 2015 04:05PM
at the end of the day its about having fun

so build what makes YOU smile its your time and your money

and have FUN!

case in point
http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/the-humbler-five-buddies-built-this-cheap-turbo-jeep-to-go-12s-and-destroy-on-the-autocross/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2015 04:41PM by tdrrally.
timiacobucci
Tim Iacobucci
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Plymouth Colt Vista

February 24, 2015 05:06PM
William so how did your first build fail? It looks like you had allot done.

Galant racing in Africa, now that sounds like a hell of a story. Any interesting life advice or auto /rally advice to take away from that experience?

Ok, first off how do my parts show money? There is exactly 1 new part that I bought used off someone for less than half price. The upgrades for the wavetrac were all of like $25 too. Every other part is used and most of the good shit is from tear downs and part outs I put a ton of work into to make profitable on the side.

I don't mind most of the other stuff talking shit about the minivan, that is expected but I did work my ass off and learn a ton to find and collect the parts I've shown you.

I'm not sure how to say this about the galant/minivan thing because I don't want to sound disrespectful in a new community so try not to take it as such. I really do listen to advice from those I know have more experience than me in a given subject. The big BUT here though is I don't ever just take advice for its own sake. If I can't see why what you are telling me makes sense then I feel like I am missing something and I haven't really learned anything at all, teach a man to fish an all that.

So if you have such strong opinions I would really love to hear the actual reasoning behind that opinion otherwise its sort of useless.

I think I've been pretty up front about showing you my hand and my work and time and effort in learning and building a properly appropriate rally machine. The drivetrain mechanicals and steering are mostly akin to evo stuff so I don't think you can dislike that. The engine is very proven. The suspension is directly taken from the galant you all love so much so no argument there. The only major difference I can see left is chassis structure which is the exact subject matter I've been trying to ask advice about this whole time.

It is just stiffness? I've been all the way down to the stripped chassis nitty gritty of my colt, dsms, galants and 3000 gts recently. If it is the chassis structure you are objecting to I honestly don't see the fuss. The 3000 gt has much better bracing than any of them but that's also part of the reason why is weighs so goddamn much. The dsm is braced better than the galant. In fact structure wise I would say the closest thing to the galant is the vista. I would wager the front end chassis is actually stiffer on the vista, so it's down to the main body shell and the rear. It is the hatch you dislike? I can understand the structural loss of not having the sheetmetal the sedan body has between the back window and the trunk. That is valid but not exactly insurmountable. I mean there have never been any successful rally hatchbacks right? RIGHT?

Ohhhh wait

Wait, let it sink in. I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just more open minded.

/sarcasm. So honestly though the difference between a wrc level galant and a stock galant is much greater than that of a stock galant and a stock vista. The difference is mainly in the cage and the structural reinforcement you would give it. Which is why I am here and what I am trying to learn about. Some of you guys build these cages professionally and i have asked quite a few on topic, rally specific cage related questions about fia rules and received like 2 actual answers so far.

Again, not to seem disrespectful or ungrateful for any advice given or hopeful to be given.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 01:46AM by timiacobucci.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 24, 2015 07:01PM
The difference is basic to the structure and layout and dynamic of the chassi.

Not a piece of this and a piece of that The basics of the car,, Gaylant has proven successful history--proven despite being the heaviest car in the WRC at the time..Good length, width, HEIGHT, and seating position and outwards visibility...

The Lancia has a proven record at the highest level--straight WRC dominant car for years.
It is physically about the same size, width and HEIGHT as a MkII Golf--with less overhang...

I have driven one of those Vista things for about 8-10 days when we had a huge snow storm followed by an ice storm..My partner I manufacture rally parts with has 2: one for him, one for his wife.. I drove wifeys cause she didn't dare venture out.
It WAS a fun fuck around hoon car.. Both have rear clutch plate diffs....

It was fun----under 35 mph.

A lotta cars are fun to hoon in...but that doesn't mean it would be wise to expend the same TIME, EFFORT and Money --or more---into building them as something that you could spend the same---or less---time money and effort and have a car which is MORE fun, and more competitive---and when you decide you can't afford rally, MIGHT be able to be sold to somebody to re-coup some of the money---it happens...

But get the principle clear: just because a car is GOOD doesn't mean its less fun. (To build and actually rally)...

I was just talking to a guy in NH about 40 minutes ago who is building a nice car--a car physically very close to the Gaylant---and Le-gassy--also from that same era----we were both searching for understanding this really bizarre fixation on doing weird shit--convertibles, minvans, micro cars with 84" wheelbase and 45 HP... and the inevitable "I want to do something different than "everybody else"...

I siad---knowing it is a BIG presumption----let's say you are playing bouncy bouncy with your ____________ (girlfriend--boyfriend--wife--whoever, fill in blank) there are some certain limitations (where you put it is there, length of dong is X length, it works best when it sorta goes in and then out) and then there are well agreed about 104 known positions (let's list them...Face to face (back of the room somebody shouts out 105!!!!)
So at any given moment when you're doing the horisontal boogie there is a highly probable chance that in the world at that moment there may be 237,000 people going bouncy bouncy in exactly the same way as you are with your ______________(fill in the blank)

Does the knowledge that there are 237,372 people going plongé plongé in the same postion at the same time somehow diminish the fun and excitement of what you are doing?

Obviously not..

So the compulsion to do some weird ass thing when there are easier, better and more effective things you are fully aware of means the central thing is not the car but the mind's whim and the need for imagining that doing "something unique" is meaningful or "funner-er"...

He recalled a post here--lemme see if i can find it...It was referring to the Hyper-self-promo model of some American guy infamous for his made-for-Tv antics,
It seems this is the central thing:

So aside from the HEIGHT and the lack of interior space and ...whatever..
Do what you want...
you are going to anyway...

(And the Group A Gaylants eventually did have some pretty nice special;ty parts, those parts had to bolt in +-20mm of the original positions....So the Group A parts were bigger and stronger, but BASICALLY---the car was the car----and they did phenomenally well as Group N cars)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
timiacobucci
Tim Iacobucci
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Plymouth Colt Vista

February 24, 2015 07:37PM
Thanks allot for the detailed response, that's all I was looking for really. Height and overhang are the big differences here. I mean look at it though, it really is just a bit larger delta. I have compared the wheel base, weight, spring rates ect from the dsm, vista and galant. The really outstanding difference is spring rates. The front rate in in/lbs for the awd versions are, 3000 gt 218, 1g dsm 146, 1g galant 134, vista 117. All mchpherson strut with very close motion ratios. I am making many changes at once obviously but I really think simply putting the dsm springs with decent struts on the vista and the bigger front sway bar would change everything.

It means allot that you have actually driven this exact car and are not talking out of your ass. I honestly think the spring rates are the biggest contributor to the feel above 35. Aside from the addition of more cage structure at roof level, I don't think there's allot of mass up there really to be too worried about. If anything it ought to make a bit more head clearance near the cage.

I'm not just throwing shit together randomly though, if it appears that I am in specific ways, well, that is why I am here, tear into it, tell me about it.

Your point of view about trying to be unique is valid. It does not apply to me though. I honeslty have been collecting this stuff from all my dsm days, I didn't even know these vistas existed until recently. I've never even seen another one in person other than mine. I am building it because I really think it has the overall foundation for offroad and abuse akin to and better than the galant in some ways. I'm not denying the galant is proven but people put time and effort into figuring that all out. I think most of that will carry over fairly directly to the vista. I picked it because of all the stuff that does carry over, hell I have an entire rear subframe from a dsm, which is identical to a vr4 galant I can mount in the vista. I just wanted to try out the full trailing suspension system first because the e30s do well already so that suspension design is pretty well proven too.

I have not posted most of these pictures anywhere else on the internet, I'm not looking for attention I just figured it would help you guys take it a bit more seriously that my questions and intentions are real.

Whats the issue with overhang in the back btw? Polar moment of inertia? Clipping shit sliding around? Same deal with the top though, I don't think there's a whole lot of mass after the rear axle, at least not that is any different than an awd dsm or galant with the fuel tank back there.

If anything part of the appeal of the car to me is the lack of attention it gets from police and thieves. I can put time and money into this and not worry about it getting fucked with near as much as some of my previous cars. In my modded dsms or my mr2 every honda in the universe seems to find you at stop lights and all the cops are watching. Complete 180 in the vista and I love that. My interest is function over form, not unique form despite function.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login