Posted by 1fastben 
1fastben
Ben Hetland
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
None, right now

Coil over spring retainers?
March 22, 2015 07:26PM
Hokay, so I'm trying to repurpose the Hypercoils I was trying to sell by putting the tall 14"er's on the back of the 142. But the spring retainer for the 142 springs isn't made for a round 2.5" ID spring, it's obviously made for a Volvo spring.

Is there something out there that will hold my springs in nice and secure? Or am I using coilover springs in a way that they're not meant to be used and asking for problems?

Ben Hetland
1973 Volvo 142 project car (with some cone-smashing on dirt in it's future, however)

"No. Rally Racing is a back alley sport filled with jackals, headhunters and thugs!"
-Pops Racer (Speed Racer movie)

www.utahrallygroup.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150321_142707.jpg (38.4 KB)
IMG_20150321_142707.jpg
1fastben
Ben Hetland
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
None, right now

Re: Coil over spring retainers?
March 25, 2015 10:24PM
So should I just pull a spring retainer from a salvage yard; if so, does anybody know off hand what would more or less fit a 2.5" ID spring to keep it in place?

The problem in the above pic is that the retainers allow for the spring to slip off and over them.

Ben Hetland
1973 Volvo 142 project car (with some cone-smashing on dirt in it's future, however)

"No. Rally Racing is a back alley sport filled with jackals, headhunters and thugs!"

www.utahrallygroup.com
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

March 26, 2015 02:25PM
You want a 2.5" spring cup: http://pitstopusa.com/i-19425255-howe-lower-spring-cup-w-o-center.html

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 26, 2015 03:33PM
I was going to say just weld on a piece of exhaust tubing the can fit inside the spring to both sides. That's about what Wilson's link looks like.
The weird thing might be the spring rate in relation to the motion ratio. If the spring is kept in stock location but is a spring designed to be on a coilover further out near the wheel the rate may be way too soft. A little tech that I one day need to think on and wrap my head around for the BMW stuff to determine what spring rate we want if we retain stock spring location instead of a coilover.

Grant Hughes
1fastben
Ben Hetland
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
None, right now

March 26, 2015 11:21PM
That's a very good point, Grant, I hadn't considered that. In which event the springs would definitely be too soft, as they're something like 250 pound springs. Maybe I'll just try it and see, even still.

It won't be bad for a coilover spring to be mildly bent the way that it is on this setup, will it? It's not really in the springs specific design, but maybe that doesn't matter.

Ben Hetland

www.utahrallygroup.com
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Ultra Moderator

March 27, 2015 01:49AM
When at ride height, your spring should be more in line/straight. The rate will decrease if it's bowed out, but I wouldn't worry about it breaking.

The spring rate with that setup will be slightly over 250lb/in on bump, and slightly less in roll.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login