Posted by kerozev 
kerozev
Eric Bishop
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 vw golf 1.8 8v

Vw Mk2 build yes another one.
April 02, 2015 02:01PM
Hey everybody long long time lurker don't really post in forums often haha. So i decided to build my first car and got a 1992 golf for a steal with only minor rust (I live in Canada so that's amazingly rare) car has stripped interior, a short shift and upgraded linkage, vr6 strut tops and i have a 2.5" cat and flow through getting welded up and pipe bent tomorrow hopefully. And just did a bit of body work and primed the car as the paint was terrible. Oh and it has lowering coilovers.... Going jvab 50's with Subaru strut tops. right now my focus is suspension, then brakes, then cage. trying not to get ahead of myself. I'll post more pictures as I take them. Any and all advice welcomed!!! So just saying hey for now I guess but questions will follow haha.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150331_190002080.jpg (36.5 KB)
IMG_20150331_190002080.jpg
DexterVW
David Baker
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

Re: Vw Mk2 build yes another one.
April 08, 2015 12:54PM
Good luck and have fun, if you run out of the first make sure you have lots of the latter.
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

April 08, 2015 02:56PM
Welcome! The more Golves the merrier. Are you planning on running in the OPRC? There are 2 of us, occasionally a third and I hear of a fourth one to come.

If you're staying with the 8V, try and get the 6 bolt exhaust manifold and downpipe to free up a few ponies and mid-range torque vs. the toilet bowl manifold.

Keep us up to date on your build and if you have questions don't be shy...

Chris
Towona
Tony P
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

April 08, 2015 05:19PM
Welcome! Read up as much as you can on past builds

Runamuck Rally
kerozev
Eric Bishop
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 vw golf 1.8 8v

April 15, 2015 07:11PM
Small update haha figured out there was a leak in the windshield, which led me to find the wool crap in behind the dash (sound deadening) was constantly wet and in turn got the front carpet wet and in turn caused the front floor to rust out so I somehow went from there to stripping all the tar off the cars interior (90%) done. Then removed the rear bumper to remove the rear plastic molding around the wheel well and found a bit more rusty goodness I'll need to fix, so going to cut the floor out soon and finish some more body work then repaint. The pictures are of it as it sits atm. Next to go is those good dam coil overs replacing with some jvab sweetness front and back!!!
And yes plan to run the oprc and anything else I possibly can haha and I can't find anything on the exhaust manifold you mentioned is it off a certain year 8v or the gti ? A link would be amazing? Also my bumpers can I replace the heavy AF bumper support etc with a piece of bent tubing under the factory skin?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20150415_200813662.jpg (28 KB)
IMG_20150415_200813662.jpg
open | download - IMG_20150415_200754145.jpg (42 KB)
IMG_20150415_200754145.jpg
open | download - IMG_20150415_200732545.jpg (33.3 KB)
IMG_20150415_200732545.jpg
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

April 15, 2015 08:13PM
Maybe one of these will work for the 8V? They could be awesome, or crack like crazy.

Fleabay

Jegs

Techtonics Tuning
They also make decent drop in camshafts for 8v vws.
kerozev
Eric Bishop
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 vw golf 1.8 8v

April 15, 2015 08:24PM
Unfortunately the rule package says (correct me if im wrong been a bit since i red em) I have to use a stock manifold the rest of the exhaust is free though smiling smiley
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

April 16, 2015 05:24AM
Yeah, CARS adopted that manifold rule recently when they updated things. It's too bad because the stock manifold on 8v's sucks. It's a 4-2-1, but the way it's designed it's nearly a 4-1, and chokes things up. Also, it's held on by these really irritating spring clamps. (The VW manuals talk about driving a succession of wedges in to get them free, but you can do it with some big U-bolts. I can give you more info on that if you like.)

The manifold you want is the G60 one. It came on Corrados G60s and the Mk2 Rallye Golfs and I think you can still buy them aftermarket. It bolts right up to the 8v head (same gaskets) and mates right up to the 16v midpipe, which you can get from any 16v car. That manifold is a 4-2, and then the midpipe is a 2-1 that meets much further down and the whole thing flows better.

If stock is stock then I don't think there's much you can do, but if stock means "any part from any variant of the same model" (in other words, you can swap parts from a Mk2 GTI to a Mk2 Golf and so on) then you can claim "but they came on the Rallye versions!" and you're golden.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 16, 2015 09:39AM
hoche
Yeah, CARS adopted that manifold rule recently when they updated things. It's too bad because the stock manifold on 8v's sucks. It's a 4-2-1, but the way it's designed it's nearly a 4-1, and chokes things up. Also, it's held on by these really irritating spring clamps. (The VW manuals talk about driving a succession of wedges in to get them free, but you can do it with some big U-bolts. I can give you more info on that if you like.)

The manifold you want is the G60 one. It came on Corrados G60s and the Mk2 Rallye Golfs and I think you can still buy them aftermarket. It bolts right up to the 8v head (same gaskets) and mates right up to the 16v midpipe, which you can get from any 16v car. That manifold is a 4-2, and then the midpipe is a 2-1 that meets much further down and the whole thing flows better.

If stock is stock then I don't think there's much you can do, but if stock means "any part from any variant of the same model" (in other words, you can swap parts from a Mk2 GTI to a Mk2 Golf and so on) then you can claim "but they came on the Rallye versions!" and you're golden.

Wha? Stock manifold? What the fuck? 2015 and....god damn... What the fuck is it with people making rules? Are they always idiots?
Is no thinking a test given "Yup, brain dead duh yep we got a flatliner here...give 'im a keyboard and a rule book so they have something to fuck with"

I'm going to go see if I have a Corrado one left over.

Eric send me a link about the OPRC and zero in on the rules..re engine.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

April 16, 2015 01:49PM
Ha! You can drop $2k on suspension but you cant spend a few hundy on an exhaust manifold.

Those are some nice rules.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

April 16, 2015 02:47PM
Whoa whoa whoa...

Before we go beating on CARS... and OPRC is under CARS rules.

Only production limits the manifold

12.6 Open 2WD
12.6.1 Definition.
Any 2WD vehicle which meets the requirements of 12.1 to 12.4, and 12.6.2 to 12.6.6. This includes vehicles
of series or limited production, which are modified beyond what is permitted in Production 2WD. Innovation
and modifications within the rules are encouraged.
12.6.2 Engine and weight.
The engine is unrestricted, but must be derived from the product line offered by the vehicle manufacturer.

12.812.7 Production 2WD and 4WD
12.8.112.7.1 Definition.
Vehicles available through normal marketing channels in Canada and/or US, with limited modifications in
order to make them more suitable for competition with respect to safety and reliability. Modifications, unless
allowed under 12.7.2 to 12.7.15, are not permitted.

bla bla bla

12.8.912.7.9 Exhaust.
The exhaust system is free, except that the stock exhaust manifold(s) must be retained. The pipe(s) must
exit behind the driver and external to the body. A functioning catalytic converter must be retained or installed.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 16, 2015 03:10PM
Mad Matt F
Whoa whoa whoa...

Before we go beating on CARS... and OPRC is under CARS rules.

Only production limits the manifold

12.6 Open 2WD
12.6.1 Definition.
Any 2WD vehicle which meets the requirements of 12.1 to 12.4, and 12.6.2 to 12.6.6. This includes vehicles
of series or limited production, which are modified beyond what is permitted in Production 2WD. Innovation
and modifications within the rules are encouraged.
12.6.2 Engine and weight.
The engine is unrestricted, but must be derived from the product line offered by the vehicle manufacturer.

12.812.7 Production 2WD and 4WD
12.8.112.7.1 Definition.
Vehicles available through normal marketing channels in Canada and/or US, with limited modifications in
order to make them more suitable for competition with respect to safety and reliability. Modifications, unless
allowed under 12.7.2 to 12.7.15, are not permitted.

bla bla bla

12.8.912.7.9 Exhaust.
The exhaust system is free, except that the stock exhaust manifold(s) must be retained. The pipe(s) must
exit behind the driver and external to the body. A functioning catalytic converter must be retained or installed.

Stupid rule and stupid rule writer..

1) if its anything older, the burden of finding a uncracked, un rusted out iron header could exceed the cost of a simple "anything" header which you just pick up the phone and order it IF YOU WANT

2) the idiots forgot that not all cars had cats till _______________...
All idiot rules writers should remember to say "if originally fitted with a cat, a cat must be retained in PRODUCTION classes..

There is NO POINT in requiring a cat when engine mods are allowed, the cat is only efferctive in a narrow range of O, O2, CO...beyond the narrow range , requiring a cat is just a gesture as empty as the heads writing these dumbb rules

It seems those charged with writing rules feel compelled to write rules
BECAUSE THEY CAN......rarely thinking of the costs or benefits.

2nd against the wall when the Revolution comes.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

April 16, 2015 03:18PM
delt with:

Unless a car was legally registered before a catalytic converter was required in Canada, then a
functioning catalytic converter must be retained or installed. (Burden of proof that a catalytic converter is
not required for a particular vehicle rests with the competitor and should be furnished to the CARS
technical director so that an exemption waiver may be added to the vehicle log book.)

And again, the stock manifold is only for Production, in which case... If you want to stay in production, then stay in production, and dem's the rules. otherwise it t'aint production now tis it?

smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 16, 2015 06:05PM
Mad Matt F
delt with:

Unless a car was legally registered before a catalytic converter was required in Canada, then a
functioning catalytic converter must be retained or installed. (Burden of proof that a catalytic converter is
not required for a particular vehicle rests with the competitor and should be furnished to the CARS
technical director so that an exemption waiver may be added to the vehicle log book.)

And again, the stock manifold is only for Production, in which case... If you want to stay in production, then stay in production, and dem's the rules. otherwise it t'aint production now tis it?

smiling smiley

Well shock! Imagine that! They could have maybe looked when the LAW mandated cats whenever that was 1990?

and---
Well then what's poor Kev going on about then? Is this ACRONYM cup requiring fucking production cars?
When are they going to kill the stupid class?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

April 16, 2015 07:15PM
No, OPRC is the Ontario performance rally competition. it is a series of rallies that mostly happen in Ontario with the exception of a few eastern Quebec ones. normally 6 or so rallies per season.

it follows cars rules, and includes both open and production classes. it for while also had a great historic class that was old capris, 2002's tercels, corrolas etc. Not sure of the current state.

my guess is kev saw the note under production and assumed it applies broadly... or he's building a production car....

Ontario emissions law states if your car came with a cat it needs one.... most other provinces are similar. CARS is just keeping with local jurisdiction... btw, I'm not a CARS board member or anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login