Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Audi CQ Rally Build
February 23, 2016 01:59PM
dalspaugh
john vanlandingham
dalspaugh
not totally what I wanted to hear about the blue lines although I can't say I wasn't partially already thinking it...

In the continued spirit of not wanting to go through hell to remove the chassis adhesive over those blue lines... what about laying in 1/2" x 1/2" angle and then welding the two sides??

16g would do fine for the L strip. I do that along the floor to sill junction--a wek and sometime sketchy area.

Hmm... I'm not seeing any angle thinner than 1/8" thk. Would make for some poor welding... .125" angel to (probably) .060" chassis steel....

Are you talking about 16 gauge flat strip John?

Yeah. The CAR is stamped out of crap less than 1.0mm--around 0,9 or about 036"
So 16g or .0625" is arout 50% thinker...so a strip hammered over the edge of a table, then tacked on one side, hammered to fit as you go along the seam
easy!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

February 26, 2016 09:17AM
john vanlandingham
dalspaugh
john vanlandingham
dalspaugh
not totally what I wanted to hear about the blue lines although I can't say I wasn't partially already thinking it...

In the continued spirit of not wanting to go through hell to remove the chassis adhesive over those blue lines... what about laying in 1/2" x 1/2" angle and then welding the two sides??

16g would do fine for the L strip. I do that along the floor to sill junction--a wek and sometime sketchy area.

Hmm... I'm not seeing any angle thinner than 1/8" thk. Would make for some poor welding... .125" angel to (probably) .060" chassis steel....

Are you talking about 16 gauge flat strip John?

Yeah. The CAR is stamped out of crap less than 1.0mm--around 0,9 or about 036"
So 16g or .0625" is arout 50% thinker...so a strip hammered over the edge of a table, then tacked on one side, hammered to fit as you go along the seam
easy!

I like this. I like this a lot. Thanks John! Stay tuned....

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

February 26, 2016 09:38AM
Make friends with your local HVAC shop. They have a huge brake and will 90 up a couple strips of steel for nothing more than a 6pack of tall boys. (If you don't feel like hand bending that is)
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

February 29, 2016 12:27PM
aj_johnson
Make friends with your local HVAC shop. They have a huge brake and will 90 up a couple strips of steel for nothing more than a 6pack of tall boys. (If you don't feel like hand bending that is)

Not a bad idea, and at work we even have a small break. But i was looking at it this weekend and the pieces will be small enough that I don't think it will be too bad to each piece by hand since each will pretty much be unique.

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

February 29, 2016 12:49PM
Got in the garage and started the welding. I found that my paint was peeling off the engine bay anyway, I'm guessing that's because of the cold dark and moist environment that the chassis has been in since It's been painted.

oh well, on to welding, and go easy - I'm a beginner:

Prep:

More Prep:

Total welding for the morning:

Close ups:

But yeah, this section really isn't too bad since its exposed with no adhesive. Stay tuned for more.

Other things:
Installed a new fuel pump in the OEM location (in-tank)
Have a plan for running the fuel lines inside the car, will post pics soon
found the right orings for the new injectors, need to buy more
new EGR gasket, blockoff plate installed
reinforced the stamped inner tie rod pin piece, first coat of paint on
removed OEM flywheel, lightweight flywheel on the way

LOTS more parts on the way - time to kick this project into gear... I want to drive it this year!

dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 09, 2016 01:00PM
So! I have been busy although I haven't been giving the phorums much love. I'll let the pictures do much of the talking. I'm still a novice at best with this whole welding thing...

Then I also decided to use the grinder to cut out the remnants of the battery tray and some other bracketry that is long gone. It's looking almost certain that I will be moving out to the Seattle area at the end of June so I've been working hard to get this car water tight, rolling, assembled - SOMETHING so that I doing get stuck paying for a garage on the east coast while I'm thousands of miles away.

Other things done:
Every gasket besides the Head gasket has been replaced on the engine
New Injectors with Orings
Turbo motor windage tray and oil filter housing (with cooler ports)
New clutch installed
Wrapped exhaust manifold installed
New Knock Sensors
New Vapor/Vent line
So many other small jobs
New Fuel supply and return lines shown here

Started digging into a rusty rocker corner

New Motor Grounds

This was a HUGE pain in the ass and time suck. Never again, but its done now:

Continuing tonight for the 4th day in a row!

dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 09, 2016 01:29PM
Goals for the next about 45 days:

Weatherproof (weld up sunroof, plug antenna hole, weld up open rocker, seal airbox intake)
Rolling (Build coilover assems, install bushings, build front/Rear Suspension assems
Running (Install Motor / Trans / Wiring)
Driving (All of the above things need to work + Driveline, Seat (old Audi seat)
Leagal (Headlights, bumpers, signals etc.)

Tick tick tick...

Also may be looking for some wrenching space if anyone knows of something available at a decent price...

Dexter
Dexter Clark
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally all of the things

May 10, 2016 07:44PM
dalspaugh

This was a HUGE pain in the ass and time suck. Never again, but its done now:

Continuing tonight for the 4th day in a row!

I did that fancy wrap on my turbo header. I agree, never again. I'll pass on the advice I got too late also: soak it in water and wrap it wet. If you re-nig, you'll know.

For me, I'll send my stuff to Swain Tech before I use that exhaust wrap again.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

June 01, 2016 02:05PM
So its official, I'm moving to Seattle in a matter of weeks, I don't have a job secured so if there's someone looking for a mechanical engineer in the greater Seattle region... let me know! This also puts a pretty demanding timeline on the project... I need to get it in a decent state... ASAP.

But anyway, who cares about the serious stuff, let's look at the project.

I've been busy since my last post although my pictures don't really tell the story....
I've got the motor and trans mated up again which is nice. only waiting on new mounts to call it ready to be dropped in!

meanwhile on the chassis side of things, I've got the bay painted, and I've started installed pieces. It actually goes together quite quickly... steering rack and booster in.

I've also been getting the fuel lines tidied up, AN sure looks pretty but DAMN it adds up so fast... $$$

I forgot to take a picture but I've got the 4 coilovers (OEM) built up and ready to be dropped in. Man I hate spring compressors...

I got the front brake lines routed. I had to sort of guess where a good spot for the bulkhead fitting would be... we'll see how that goes later when its time to order the last few feet of brake line to the caliper.

Also had to make up a temp blockoff plate for the climate control intake. I eventually would like to get a manual set up but theres no time for now.

I'm also making this fuel line cover for where the fuel fittings leave the fuel tank then get immedietiely rerouted into the car. There's about a 5 inch hole in the underside there that needs to be protected from the gravel machine gun. Just need to weld this up and add a fitting so I can see if/when I have a fuel leak from that area.

aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 01, 2016 02:20PM
That will work for the brake lines to rear. Though I'd probably use hard lines wherever possible.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

January 05, 2017 10:49AM
Wow so its been some time since I've posted here and I could use some help with something.

I'm trying to size my primary wire from my battery to kill skitch. The run looks like it will be about 14.5 ft. I'm trying to figure out what kind of amperage I can expect through this cable to size the wire. It seems like it should be in the 1 or 2 awg range. sound right?

I'll post up a more detailed update in the future... but how about a teaser...

https://cnt-01.content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/A9ffw_GV67IHNnZEcBlBvlQyc1IooYBbwgpu3vnAsSgpX92IB?viewBox=2560,1920

no cage for now, I guess I'm thinking RallyX and shakedown for the immediate future...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 10:50AM by dalspaugh.
Pete
Pete Remner
Ultra Moderator

January 06, 2017 07:03PM
I've always used the biggest I could get. I think my RX-7 is cabled with 2/0. It was like two bucks a foot at Home Depot, such hardship!

I crimped the lugs on the ends with Vise-Grips. Worked at least as well as using a smooshing die in the 20 ton press. Heat shrunk too, of course.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login