John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Ukiah High School Rally Car
May 17, 2015 10:46AM
napearson
Great video Eric, thank you!

Flywheel is on, new clutch is on. Engine installed. The 83 engine harness won't fit through the firewall so now I need to swap the plate from the 83 into the rally car.

I watched all of project binky and am amazed!

One day...

You check your PMs?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 18, 2015 07:47PM
Not much done today but I fixed some wiring harness issues and pulled a 5lb weight off one of the firewall plates! And welded up the holes for the ac lines.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (44.1 KB)
image.jpg
open | download - image.jpg (52.4 KB)
image.jpg
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

May 19, 2015 11:49AM
so what your saying is, you have a class field trip planned to the Mendocino rally.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 19, 2015 05:51PM
Gravity Fed
so what your saying is, you have a class field trip planned to the Mendocino rally.
Yes! May I should start prepping the short bus! Any rules as far as vehicle weight? How about cage recommendations for a bus?

Today we swapped fuel lines, painted the firewall plate, and tore out the fuel pump power bypass. Previous owner had hooked a wire to the pump that was long enough to reach the battery. It was all coiled up and jammed in the rear jack point! Rally ready.
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 19, 2015 10:41PM
Have a question about shaving the head on our B23. I would like to run pump gas so how much can I take off and still run 91 octane?

How about removing material from the stock flywheel? Advisable/desirable/worth the effort?

Last one! I have been thinking about dampening a bunch lately. I come from a mountain bike racing background where suspension has become very effective. I am wondering if there is a way to get a progressive spring and progressive dampening in my Volvo? Does anyone make anything like this? Bike shocks use air springs which naturally get stiffer as they compress... air springs on a car?

Thank for your time!
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

May 20, 2015 12:41AM
I had the head shaved 80 thousandths, no problems at all. It did wake the motor up a bit and probably could go more. I have the K cam and I really like lh 2.2 injection. That motor was plenty amusing, as long as you were not going up a big hill.

No need to carve the flywheel, works fine as it is, and you don't want it failing.

progressive suspension and air springs…nah, don't waste your time. A major lesson from rally is to not reinvent the wheel.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

May 20, 2015 07:47AM
napearson
Have a question about shaving the head on our B23. I would like to run pump gas so how much can I take off and still run 91 octane?

How about removing material from the stock flywheel? Advisable/desirable/worth the effort?

Last one! I have been thinking about dampening a bunch lately. I come from a mountain bike racing background where suspension has become very effective. I am wondering if there is a way to get a progressive spring and progressive dampening in my Volvo? Does anyone make anything like this? Bike shocks use air springs which naturally get stiffer as they compress... air springs on a car?

Thank for your time!

Nick I come from the exact same background as you and like Al said don't waste your time trying to reinvent things that are well known to work. At this point in the game someone has almost certainly tried what your thinking and it didn't stick around; probably for a reason.
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 20, 2015 08:14AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the 80 thousands shave turn it into an interference engine? Are you using a stock timing belt? Adjustable cam gear?
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

May 20, 2015 08:58AM
napearson
Thanks for the replies guys. Does the 80 thousands shave turn it into an interference engine? Are you using a stock timing belt? Adjustable cam gear?

It will definitely be an interference engine even with the lazy K cam. For a timing belt, the 2.0L pinto belt is 1-tooth shorter and helps address the cam retarding and allows the tensioner to work when the head is shaved that much. An adjustable cam gear is a good way to go (nuke proof if you're going to adjust it more than once, IPD if you're going to set it and forget it). Also grab a solid dowel for the cam gear and aux shaft gear to replace the failure prone roll pins.

As far as suspension goes, yes it does exist. Reiger Suspension does exactly what you're talking about (multi stage damping, roll rate control, more magic). It's about $10k for the basics from what I've heard, or ~4x what a set of JVABs will run ya. It's like Fox Shox versus SR. Suntour. It works, but there is much better stuff available at an extreme cost increase.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 09:00AM by Robert Culbertson.
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 20, 2015 07:34PM
Good day today! Tried to start the engine today and nothing. No cranking, no lights no fuel pump nothing. I started freaking out because I thought it was my wiring repair job. All of the insulation on one section of the engine harness was crumbling so i had to individually wrap each wire. I decided to start checking things instead of freaking out. Always pays to stay calm!

Figured out the battery that was put in was not the good one that came with the car, check.
Used a remote starter to check that the starter functioned. Check.
None of the dash lights come on with the key... which got me thinking that the computer was not working... but checked for spark anyway. Check, there is spark...
Jumped the fuel pump turned the ignition on and used the remote starter to start it and it fired right up!

After doing other things for a bit, I realized that the wiring harness had come out of an automatic car and this is a manual... idiot! Jumpered the neutral safety switch and it started with the key! Runs like a dream! No dash lights still but that is minor stuff.

Now to get it ready for smog! Radiator, exhaust, etc.
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

May 23, 2015 10:02PM
you're movin' at a clip on your volvo! seems like i'm going backwards half the time.

quick question: saw your nice ac firewall job and was wondering what you did with the ac compressor? i'm dying to get mine out, wondering how you have yours rigged.
napearson
Nick Pearson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 244

May 24, 2015 04:35PM
Paul Buck
you're movin' at a clip on your volvo! seems like i'm going backwards half the time.

quick question: saw your nice ac firewall job and was wondering what you did with the ac compressor? i'm dying to get mine out, wondering how you have yours rigged.
Have not finished yet but we unbolted the compressor and now we need to make a spacer for the power steering pump pulley to line up with the crank. We are using an aluminum bracket from a 93 240 to mount the power steering pump. I'll get you some pictures when we get it all done
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 24, 2015 06:22PM
AC delete is almost as much pain on 240 as Xratty---another mysterious similarity..
I think I saw some B230 AC delete/keep PS kit on Turtpoatpricks

OEM brackets are out there but seem rare and annoying...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

May 24, 2015 09:24PM
would this work?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6615/106153-ac-bypass-kit-240-1978-1984

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

May 24, 2015 10:19PM
It's a great kit if you don't mind leaving the AC compressor in. Just a spacer and a long ass belt to run diagonally from the main crank. Thought about it for myself, but the AC must go. Must go!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login