Posted by DexterVW 
DexterVW
David Baker
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

CV Joints
June 01, 2015 12:52PM
So I suffer on my Mk3 Golf with VR6 suspension and Hotbits struts of not having enough plung on my axles causing the circlips to break and the inncer cv's to only last about 200 miles before they are death clicking...

has anyone used a cv like this before... It should bolt in
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=301174CC

Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: CV Joints
June 01, 2015 01:26PM
DexterVW
So I suffer on my Mk3 Golf with VR6 suspension and Hotbits struts of not having enough plung on my axles causing the circlips to break and the inncer cv's to only last about 200 miles before they are death clicking...

has anyone used a cv like this before... It should bolt in
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-details.aspx?sku=301174CC

You thinking of using that inboard? I think that bolt circle is toooooo big, and no idea of if the spline is correct.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 01, 2015 01:42PM
There is every chance that photo is 'generic' and not type specific.

Also, why not sell off the 'draggers' and get yourself into something with real potential for top finishes? Many RWD cars don't leave you dealing with CV joints.

I'm prety sure Ford stRangers have live axles in the back, meaning no CVs an only driveshaft plunging. (oooo.... that sounds dirty)
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

June 01, 2015 01:59PM
I believe that Eric Burmeister worked with RCV for axles on his Mazdaspeed3, or maybe the Protege?

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

June 01, 2015 02:14PM
First, why are you breaking CVs? What is it about your setup that's causing them to overplunge? Is the car lifted too much? Is it lowered too much? Do you have custom A-arms?

The OEM GKN/Lobro ones should be just fine until you get over 200hp or so.

Self-righteous douche canoe
DexterVW
David Baker
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

June 01, 2015 02:43PM
No i'm not ditching the VW in favor of a furd flamer or so other "top finishing" car... I build this one cause I liked this one... I'll learn to drive with this one then start shooting for the top when I have the $$ to hit the trees as hard as they will let me go.

I think its a little too much wheel travel with the hotbits coupled with the torque of the TDI (240ft-lbs rough estimate). I've debated limiting straps, putting the front sway bar back in (as it seems to be tarmac cornering that kills em) and I've put in steering limiters so that should solve that.

The stock cv can only handle about 17 degrees articulation and .7" plunge while these are rated for 25 degrees and 1.25". You can also get upgraded cages and center pieces to boot.

The only thing I don't know right now is if the splines are correct, they are both 28 spine but thats all I know.

Dave
DexterVW
David Baker
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

June 01, 2015 03:02PM
BTW for those who didn't follow the link... thats a "930" (porsche) based cv joint, very popular in the offroad/dunebuggy world
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

June 01, 2015 03:50PM
I use Porsche 944 100mm CVs for my bug. Never had one break in all of my rallies. Although it is RWD, so the wheels aren't turning and providing power like FWD.

Odd you are breaking inner CVs. Seems like a geometry issue.

If you go to Porsche 930 108mm CVs then I suspect you should never be breaking them.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

June 01, 2015 04:44PM
DexterVW
BTW for those who didn't follow the link... thats a "930" (porsche) based cv joint, very popular in the offroad/dunebuggy world

David, I think these have been used before but you may want to check with some folks at Oneil's or Chris D.

I am still pretty sure that inner CVs break from too much plunge cause by the motor moving around too much. I doubt the Hotbits have too much travel... Shouldn't have problems with 200mm or even a tad more.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 01, 2015 04:59PM
DexterVW
No i'm not ditching the VW in favor of a furd flamer or so other "top finishing" car... I build this one cause I liked this one... I'll learn to drive with this one then start shooting for the top when I have the $$ to hit the trees as hard as they will let me go.

I think its a little too much wheel travel with the hotbits coupled with the torque of the TDI (240ft-lbs rough estimate). I've debated limiting straps, putting the front sway bar back in (as it seems to be tarmac cornering that kills em) and I've put in steering limiters so that should solve that.

The stock cv can only handle about 17 degrees articulation and .7" plunge while these are rated for 25 degrees and 1.25". You can also get upgraded cages and center pieces to boot.

The only thing I don't know right now is if the splines are correct, they are both 28 spine but thats all I know.

Dave

Doubt very seriously the Hot Bitch has too much travel.Stock is 155-160mm, and I have only seen that much on the various dead Hot Bitch stuff that I've held or been sent piccies of on a wide variety of cars..
How you going to connect a big 930 CV to the little VW CV? Different bolt circles.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

June 01, 2015 10:33PM
Pretty sure DBottles ran the 930 axles. Kinda remember reading about him getting something machined just cant remember exactly what...

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
DexterVW
David Baker
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

June 02, 2015 07:14AM
john vanlandingham

Doubt very seriously the Hot Bitch has too much travel.Stock is 155-160mm, and I have only seen that much on the various dead Hot Bitch stuff that I've held or been sent piccies of on a wide variety of cars..
How you going to connect a big 930 CV to the little VW CV? Different bolt circles.

Same OD and bolt circle as the mk4 1.8t output flanges that install nicely into my O2? transmission. The stock mk3 axles already have a 28 tooth spline which I hope matches the 28 spline on the 930.

Tonight I'm going to try putting in some seriously stiff mounts instead of my somewhat stiff mounts.

I'm also going to measure the flange position in full droop and compression and see where I'm landing. Put some numbers to this issue.

Dave
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

June 02, 2015 11:43AM
Did you use the complete mk3 GTI / VR driveshafts when you converted to the 5 stud setup?

The mk3 4 and 5 stud type driveshafts are different lengths so just swapping outer CVs could be the problem.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2015 12:10PM
DexterVW
john vanlandingham

Same OD and bolt circle as the mk4 1.8t output flanges that install nicely into my O2? transmission. The stock mk3 axles already have a 28 tooth spline which I hope matches the 28 spline on the 930.

Tonight I'm going to try putting in some seriously stiff mounts instead of my somewhat stiff mounts.

I'm also going to measure the flange position in full droop and compression and see where I'm landing. Put some numbers to this issue.

Dave

OK, good but there are many more 930 joints in the offroad world.

And yeah numbers are usually good. Like: what IS the travel of the front struts.. Measure and post it to eliminate that from worry

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Towona
Tony P
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

June 02, 2015 02:00PM
I have both Hotbits and JVABs for my Mk2. I have broken 2 driver side axles (including one brand new 0km axle) that I directly attributed to over extension of the inner cv joint while the Hotbits were installed. These breakages occurred immediately after the car hand been elevated on a hoist/jackstands, the hotbits to force the LCAs too far down and pull on the axles, then when the car was put down on the ground/floor and you started to drive off, you could feel the axle bind up and something snapped inside the inner CV.

All suspension parts/geometry are OEM (other than the coilovers and the upper mounts). I don't have that issue with the JVABs. Sitting side by side on the floor, the HB unit is about 1.5" longer overall than the JVAB unit (measuring from the upper camber bolt hole to the top mount)

Runamuck Rally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 02:04PM by Towona.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login