Aaron Draper
Senior Moderator

Good Rallye car build?
June 02, 2015 01:39PM
Poll
19 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Which would you reccomend Focus or Golf

I know, an amateur asking what would be a good idea or first rallye car. But I am finally able to build myself one. But i don't know where to start. Like do i need a hatchback or a coupe? Wide body or some special body? I want to make a Ford Focus rallye car or a VW Golf. Can you guys help and tell me how i could accomplish this. I have yet to find a rallye event but not looking to find one until I actually build one. What kind of engine build would I need to put it in the car?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

Re: Good Rallye car build?
June 02, 2015 02:27PM
Go visit Grant at http://rally.build/
Rally.Build is located at:
885 Parfet St, Suite C
Lakewood, Colorado, 80125

Make friends with some of the Rallyists and guys that do hill climbs in CO.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2015 03:14PM
Bad poll.
No choice for bacon
No choice for Xratty
No Choice for the miost fuawkin obvious choice Volvo 240
no choice for the wannabe hipster ironic Bowel MovemenT Wonder car so you can have the joy of braking suspesion parts, exploding diffs and dropping diffs out of the car if the motor doesn't drop a valve 3 different times first..
No choice for Dodge Colt Vista

Aaron.. you know what makes a rally car a rally car and not a street car or not a road race car?

What's your budget?
What's you skills set?

what sort of other motorsport or crazy ass stuff have you done...

Read here more... and then tell me why you want to chose one of 2 cars which critical parts needed for having fun are extremely difficult to find, and extremely expensive...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 06:42PM by john vanlandingham.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

June 02, 2015 03:41PM
You want to build something or you want to go racing? Budget? Fab skills? Time?

There have been a fair number of nicely built 2wd rally cars for sale in the US/Canda recently. That is where I would look.

A couple of notes:

1) Rust is your enemy with mk2 and mk3 Golves from certain parts of the US... find a clean car or shell
2) Never seen a competitive Focus build in the US short of throwing 6-figures at one. They have many weaknesses -- suspension, gearbox, suspension, weight, suspension, weight
3) Ignore John unless you have lots of fab skills or are willing to pay for fabrication well beyond cage work
4) A new offering from USRT will solve one of John's complaints about expensive bits to make Golves go fast/fun. John is going to tell you that gearing is #1 for fun and is too expensive for FWD cars in general. USRT is releasing a K03 & K04 retrofit upgrade for 2.0L ABA 8v cross-flow motors found in both mk3 and mk4 VWs. Uses all factory 1.8t plumbing so an easy & cheap junkyard parts run and you have TORQUE which make the gearbox a non-issue other than finding a limited slip differential (there are plenty of options available from Gripper & Kaaz).
5) Talk to Grant at Rally.Build for getting started.
6) Talk to John for shocks/struts
7) Do what you want but don't complain when people tell you it is stupid.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2015 06:23PM
And pay close attention to the word TORQUE. Thats how gearboxes are rated.
Focus MTX75 is SAFE for loads torque---same gears and shafts and bearings and synchro hubs as my Ford Coswiorth MT754x4 box..
Parts like any alternate final drive are absurdly expense

Golves's boxes, CVs, driveshafts and especially outer CVs has been a chronic problem costs billions of DNFs since the MkII arrived here---for those that drive with vigor and thankfully that's not a lotta people..
So if you look at the FWD car because self proclaimed experts in US forums assert it is the best thing--simple straight assertion--with references to ONLY US events---because nobody on any gravel anywhere else in the whole world knows anything cause America is Numbah 1 and you want to do same as everybody NEARLY who has come before you, then pay attention to the self-proclaimed US and Canajian Experts..

If I was forced to do a FWD car other than the one I have built and driven, I sure as hell would look into some Honda thing as long as it had struts and was at least 98-99" wheelbase..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

June 02, 2015 07:57PM
Josh Wimpey

...............2) Never seen a competitive Focus build in the US short of throwing 6-figures at one.

Ok... ...Im pretty sure the drivers of the cars pictured below would disagree.
Correct me if I am wrong..but they have all had good results and I'm pretty sure none of them are even close to six figure builds....

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
Attachments:
open | download - downloadfile.jpeg (28.5 KB)
downloadfile.jpeg
open | download - IMGP2201.jpeg (44.2 KB)
IMGP2201.jpeg
open | download - images-1.jpeg (11.7 KB)
images-1.jpeg
open | download - images-2.jpeg (15.1 KB)
images-2.jpeg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2015 08:05PM
RALLYRS
Josh Wimpey

...............2) Never seen a competitive Focus build in the US short of throwing 6-figures at one.

Correct me if I am wrong..but they have all had good results and I'm pretty sure none of them are even close to six figure builds....

Thank you..and thanks for the opportunity to plug my suspension---on the consistantly fastest Focus in Canada---who routinely wins overall 2wd--- Andrew Kulikowski on JVAB Soooper Bitchin suspenders...

And now his team mate Gary Sutherland on JVAB Sooooper Bitchin 50mm Suspenders...

Focus has its issues but like EVERY car if you want to have fun you are going to be making a good number of parts stronger and better

At least the Ford box is strong.

Still though...

The question remains why the OP is convinced doing a car that real parts cost 5-7-10 times more is a good idea?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

June 02, 2015 08:11PM
Yeah judging by his post he needs to learn a lot more about rally and work a few and hang out with some rallyists before he chooses a model to build.

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 02, 2015 09:49PM
MassiveWolves
I know, an amateur asking

Everybody in north American rally are amateurs at rally...don't feel bad, or feel you are un-worthy or ignorant...or whatever...

There are a few people making a living sorta at working on cars, a couple maybe who make parts and build engines...But nearly everybody is amateur...

And in this sport I am as well but amateur comes from Old French meaning "one who does something for love---amor---
see:
amateur (n.) Look up amateur at Dictionary.com
1784, "one who has a taste for (something)," from French amateur "lover of," from Latin amatorem (nominative amator) "lover," agent noun from amatus, past participle of amare "to love" (see Amy). Meaning "dabbler" (as opposed to professional) is from 1786. As an adjective, by 1838.

professional (n.) Look up professional at Dictionary.com
"one who does it for a living," 1798, from professional (adj.).

There are many who throw obscene amounts of money around but that just means they are foolish amateurs....

I don't know if you have seen the figure that one of the more astute guys in the sport Anders Green out in Norf Carolina came up by crunching numbers about who comes in and enters events...
He said something like 43% of all people who entered an event in the 2000s did a total of 3 events---and disappeared forever...

That should be adding in the calculus that you have to do..

Try to talk with people who have done more than 3 rallys and who will talk straight...

And remember, MOST of what you'll read in North American forums is intentionally narrow point of view...
Across the differences in brands, agae intentions there seems near universal agreement that one should pay NO ATTENTION to what people choose to built, how they build, how they look at the task of driving, how to sustain the sport, nothing..

They always say "This ain't Europe, things are different there..."

And of course, naturally since none saying that have competed in Europe, nearly none can speak as equals with any rallyists in Europe,

they never even begin to explain WHAT is different and WHY it should be not just ignored but an Oath of Silence should be observed...

'it goes without saying"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 02, 2015 11:50PM
john vanlandingham
Thank you..and thanks for the opportunity to plug my suspension---on the consistantly fastest Focus in Canada---who routinely wins overall 2wd--- Andrew Kulikowski on JVAB Soooper Bitchin suspenders...
For someone who regularly ridicules the 'b-spec' crowd for over-inflating their results... you get pretty shameless when you have the chance to promote your boingers.

I think if you looked a bit deeper into this you'd have been clearer that you were talking about the fastest focus in Eastern Canada - there was a faster one in the west according to CARS stats - and that he was winning overall 2wd (and making the overall podium) at poorly attended regional events in eastern Canada.

But I guess it is all in how you say it, not what you say.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2015 01:52AM
ALS FTW
john vanlandingham
For someone who regularly ridicules the 'b-spec' crowd for over-inflating their results... you get pretty shameless when you have the chance to promote your boingers.

I think if you looked a bit deeper into this you'd have been clearer that you were talking about the fastest focus in Eastern Canada - there was a faster one in the west according to CARS stats - and that he was winning overall 2wd (and making the overall podium) at poorly attended regional events in eastern Canada.

But I guess it is all in how you say it, not what you say.

Look Don, for a not-even-a-noob-yet you sure think you have answers to everything..
A real Google world champion....

If you think there is a limit to the amount of ridicule that needs to this fake shit B-spec bullshit needs to be buried with then you're grip on what rally is is "unsound"....
Production class was bad enough--a playground of cheaters and whiners that should be left to the girlie-men who drive on road race courses.

B-spec is just a made up class not even as real as made-for-TV bullshit like X-games and Globular Wally closs..
3 people ever in the "history" of the class, maybe never more than 2 entries, usually 1 entry, usually near last--except "walking wounded and 1st time out beginners...a class made up by magazines and ad department hacks...whore mongering alpha and omega.

If shameless promotion and press releases sent everywhere in all the media of last place finishes and 1 car in class wins and mentioning overall wins of people I know and like and respect is in your mind is the same thing--and comments are the same thing then you're screwy..

Idea! rather than Googling to try and prove me wrong in nearly every single one of your posts, why don't you buy a nice shiney B spec car and enter a rally or 2 and go win... Then you can taunt me....

OK?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

June 03, 2015 08:10AM
in western canada the roads are really good, b spec cars could survive and are a viable option for beginners to understand the demographic. not really a anarchic view but none the less, all hail megatron?

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
danster
Haggis Muncher
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

June 03, 2015 08:53AM
Sod rally cars for the moment.
I want pics of the Mahoosive Wolves which I'm guessing ate the bacon option from the poll.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
ALS FTW
Don K. Oates
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
looking

June 03, 2015 10:29AM
john vanlandingham
Look Don, for a not-even-a-noob-yet you sure think you have answers to everything..
A real Google world champion...
That's the funny thing. I really wish I didn't need to google as much as I do, but you kinda make it a requirement.
I like to learn, and I like to have relatively complete pictures of things when I do learn. So, when somebody says 'the consistently fastest focus in Canada that regularly wins 2wd overall' I'm genuinely curious about what the other focuses are doing and what other cars the green boingered focus is beating to win overall.
Its on researching the results that it becomes clear that the claim was conditional, at best, even though you didn't do anyone the courtesy of outlining the caveats. (IE: The Fastest focus in Canada at events where there are not other focuses running AND regularly winning 2wd overall in regional events, or regional portions of events where the much faster national guys are entered.)

john vanlandingham
If you think there is a limit to the amount of ridicule that needs to this fake shit B-spec bullshit needs to be buried with then you're grip on what rally is is "unsound"....
Now, I didn't say that at all... did I.

Production class was bad enough--a playground of cheaters and whiners that should be left to the girlie-men who drive on road race courses.

john vanlandingham
If shameless promotion and press releases sent everywhere in all the media of last place finishes and 1 car in class wins and mentioning overall wins of people I know and like and respect is in your mind is the same thing--and comments are the same thing then you're screwy..
And you're compartmentalizing again, in a serious way.
I don't intend to take anything away from Kulikowitzkie, but your claims on his behalf seemed a bit over reaching. What would have been the harm in being a bit more forthcoming and saying 'the fastest focus in Eastern Canada' and 'winning overall 2wd in the Regional events.'

john vanlandingham
Idea! rather than Googling to try and prove me wrong in nearly every single one of your posts, why don't you buy a nice shiney B spec car and enter a rally or 2 and go win... Then you can taunt me....

Don't label me as a BSpec proponent. The class and lack of significant buy-in from the competitors doesn't interest me, and frankly when I do dive in to the sport, I'll be looking for a class where I have a lot of competition. Right now, in Western Canada, that would appear to be Prod4WD, but we'll see if the mini truck class takes off. stRanger things have happened.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

June 03, 2015 11:04AM
RALLYRS
Josh Wimpey

The orange one surely had metric tons of cash dumped in it--maybe not a 6-figure initial build but certainly would cost close to that to replicate from scratch.
The yellow one has never been driven fast.
Andrew's car is explained above and is not in the US anyway
The white & blue one has an impressive number of DNFs and occasionally goes quick for short periods of time. It also may not be a 6-figure build but it isn't cheap to replicate either.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login