VW 020 4.25 Ring & Pinion source??

Posted by ElectroTech 
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Godlike Moderator

Re: VW 020 4.25 Ring & Pinion source??
June 06, 2018 05:36PM
john vanlandingham

Now you see why I suggest the cars and the builds I suggest...I have 5 T5 trannys in the garage I pad $75, $50, $50, and $0 for with GOOD ratios--ecellent really for a 2,0 to 2,3 turbo car>
I have I don't even know but 4-7 Toyota 8" ring and pinion sets..Highest was $75 for the whole diff..
With a LSD...

Just that alone puts a guy ahead thousands...versus ANY FWD car..

FWD will work just the same and if you drive it hard, like Lemme see...My best place overall was a 3rd OA on a National stage...37s behind the National Chamipinion for that year--it was funner than shit..
But the cost..

Those 3 simple things..Borg Warner T5, Toyota diff and gears and broad powerband..
That's more than enough for top 6-8 in so called Nationals...

So i am guessing you are advocating for the Voll Vows? would you get a 2 door not turbo, turbo or a 4 door? Did some of them come with a Borg warner T5?

Also, John do you still sell the Brantz? Looking at getting the International 2S Pro, with plug and plug kit, without driver readout socket, but with a few sensors for rear wheels, your thoughts?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Erik Christiansen
Erik Christiansen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VW GTI

June 06, 2018 11:53PM
Frank Gossett

Thank you, I've been volunteering since the mid nineties and dreaming just as long. Now that I have a few pennies to rub together, I bought a car and I am starting to see what I don't know.
I have questions about which intercom to get, which computer to get, which helmet, etc? all this while on a budget. Just spent $700+ on a seat since I am a big guy, and that hurt.

Appreciate the help on gearing. Someone linked to a quaiffe gearset in Europe in another thread but I can't find it now. bummer. And MTS site is closed so I can't price anything from them.

A lot of these come down to personal preference. I use an Alfa-Pro and it has been very reliable and easy to use. In fact it's so reliable I haven't been in the market for a rally computer since I bought it in 2004, so I don't now what the latest offerings look like. I think some people even use apps with gps nowadays.

I have a terratrip pro intercom and it's not the best but it works. It has a line out you can plug into a camera audio jack, which is worth the few extra bucks above the Clubman if you ever want to record co-driver audio. Peltor is higher quality and a bit more expensive.

As for hemlet, try some on and see what fits you best. An integrated intercom headset and hans posts will save you the time and headache of having to install those, but might be more expensive. And if the integrated headset isn't the same brand as your intercom you'll need an adapter.

I think Philippe was alluding to the CARS rule that requires seats to be replaced within ten years of manufacture? I don't believe RA, ARA, or NASA have expiration rules for seats.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2018 10:39PM
Frank Gossett
john vanlandingham

Now you see why I suggest the cars and the builds I suggest...I have 5 T5 trannys in the garage I pad $75, $50, $50, and $0 for with GOOD ratios--ecellent really for a 2,0 to 2,3 turbo car>
I have I don't even know but 4-7 Toyota 8" ring and pinion sets..Highest was $75 for the whole diff..
With a LSD...

Just that alone puts a guy ahead thousands...versus ANY FWD car..

FWD will work just the same and if you drive it hard, like Lemme see...My best place overall was a 3rd OA on a National stage...37s behind the National Chamipinion for that year--it was funner than shit..
But the cost..

Those 3 simple things..Borg Warner T5, Toyota diff and gears and broad powerband..
That's more than enough for top 6-8 in so called Nationals...

So i am guessing you are advocating for the Voll Vows? would you get a 2 door not turbo, turbo or a 4 door? Did some of them come with a Borg warner T5?

Also, John do you still sell the Brantz? Looking at getting the International 2S Pro, with plug and plug kit, without driver readout socket, but with a few sensors for rear wheels, your thoughts?

I'd get one with no rust.. And probably just get a 4 door..cause the relative rarity nowdays of 2 doors---and hence replacement doors...which are wear items.
Motor? I wouldn't worry...a LOT is fun is posible with n.a....
Now what I would spend money to build that's something else..

And a lotta factors go into to that...Like how crazy you wanna be? Budget?
A very restrained turbo with emphasis on BROAD power delivery is a very E----A-----S-------Y car to drive veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrry quickly..and in the long run is cheaper...
But it depends on how serious, how much self control, how thinking you are...

Big subject and the answer is---as always--depends.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login