Posted by William Marenich 
William Marenich
William Marenich
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

VW Golf odometer sending unit
June 30, 2015 09:10PM
Hey VW drivers, where have you been mounting your odometer sending units? Do you have a problem keeping them protected from being ripped out? I have a Alfa-pro and the past owner had the sending unit pointed bottom-inside of the brake rotor. The magnet is MIA, so I would like to find a better place to mount it. I also plan on running two sending units.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Re: VW Golf odometer sending unit
June 30, 2015 10:51PM
Speedo cable.

Self-righteous douche canoe
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

July 01, 2015 08:25AM
I always ran off the speedo cable.

Most protected I've seen was attached to the inner CV on the passenger side axle.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 01, 2015 12:24PM
Question: Is your sensor on the front or rear? Did you replace the rotors? Did you take them off and put them on the opposite side by mistake? Our sensor is just a prox sensor so I welded a nut on the back of the rotor. If you put that rotor on the wrong side of the car, guess what? The sensor doesn't have anything to trigger it.

I found the speedo cable sensor works fine on transits, not very accurate on stage, but if you're using notes that shouldn't matter. I've got an obd2 aba motor (not at goofy ABA/motronic thingy like you lol...) and the ecu needs the vss on the trans so you have to get creative if you want to use that with the mk2 gauges. I decided not having the motor cut out at high rpms on stage was more important than an Odo so I just use a GPS for MPH. Our terratrip runs off a sensor on the rear wheel which is way more accurate for fwd if your wheels are spinning a lot on stage. It gets knocked out of the way by gravel on occasion but the metal isn't that thick so we just bend it back.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 03:42PM by DG_Rally.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

July 01, 2015 01:45PM
DG_Rally
I've got an obd2 aba motor (not at goofy ABA/motronic thingy like you lol...) and the ecu needs the vss on the trans so you have to get creative if you want to use that with the mk2 gauges. I decided not having the motor cut out at high rpms on stage was more important than an Odo...

First of all, you can fix the ECU-needs-the-VSS thing with a simple 555 timer circuit to generate a steady pulse and feed it to the ECU instead of the line coming from the intermediate box. Then you can just toss the intermediate box.

Secondly, I split the odo cable and insert a Terratrip odo sensor in the middle. Once reassembled, the cable feeds right back into the speedo like normal.

Self-righteous douche canoe
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 01, 2015 03:53PM
hoche

First of all, you can fix the ECU-needs-the-VSS thing with a simple 555 timer circuit to generate a steady pulse and feed it to the ECU instead of the line coming from the intermediate box. Then you can just toss the intermediate box.

That would be the "have to get creative" part I was talking about above. And I have no idea what you mean by intermediate box. I've found that using my GPS for MPH takes much less time an effort. Personally, I'd rather not have a speedo at all. Its just a distraction, no reason to know how fast we are going or have my co-driver peeking to see how fast we're going when his nose should be in the book.

hoche
Secondly, I split the odo cable and insert a Terratrip odo sensor in the middle. Once reassembled, the cable feeds right back into the speedo like normal.

Yes that is how I installed the Terratrip odo sensors that I've used. Pretty simple, but don't lose that tiny allen key or your are basically screwed when your 30 year old odo cable snaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 03:59PM by DG_Rally.
William Marenich
William Marenich
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
91' VW Golf GTI

July 01, 2015 05:42PM
Right now the sensor is mounted at the rear and is attached to the dust shield. I want to make this clear, I did not mount this sending unit! It was installed by the previous owner.
I have checked both rotors and the rare earth magnet is no where to be found. It appears that this car may have had ABS brakes at one point. The front upright/spindles have mounts for the sensors. This make me curious, because I may need to check with Alfa and see if I can use a different style sending unit and use the Rear ABS Speed Sensor Ring inside the rotor hat.

As far is mounting a sensor to the transmission I am using the gear driven speedo cable on the O2O.

I forgot to mention. My speedo is way off, now that I installed a new ring and pinion. Once I have the this Odometer working correctly, it has a MPH gauge on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2015 05:47PM by William Marenich.
Dante
Allan Dantes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

July 02, 2015 07:56AM
Kind of off subject, but we've been using the IPad for the last 2 events. Once calibrated, it is extremely accurate. 900 miles of testing in the UP and we have never been off by more than .02 of a mile! It has some awesome features when utilized on recce too. I removed my Terra trip before Expose at Magnum. Not needed after using this.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ase-rally-com/id600267078?mt=8

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 08:00AM by Dante.
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

July 09, 2015 12:57PM
The Terratrip 303 in my Golf reads off a magnetic probe mounted in the ABS sensor hole through the stub axle backing plate. Inside the disc there are 2 magnets, each glued to wheel studs.

We at first had problems with the Terratrip probe since it is very sensitive to probe/magnet. We then switched to a Timewise probe. It is much less sensitive to gaps, problem solved.

At Perce-Neige this year, we used the rallycomputer.ca app running on an Android tablet. My co-driver found it worked very well, and it was actually more accurate than the Terratrip.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 09, 2015 02:43PM
What are you guys using to mount your tablets on the dash? Ipad in particular.

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

July 09, 2015 02:47PM
DG_Rally
What are you guys using to mount your tablets on the dash? Ipad in particular.

RAM tablet mount, non-lockable. You can either use the adjustable mounting arm, or directly mount it to a brace of some sort (what I did).
Dante
Allan Dantes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

July 09, 2015 03:06PM
My codriver uses a hard case and zip ties it rigid to the dash.

This is an old picture from LSPR. Since then we have removed the TerraTrip and expanded metal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203806979147268&set=pb.1003263673.-2207520000.1436472299.&type=3&theater

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

July 09, 2015 03:13PM
We made a bracket from sheet aluminum formed to the shape of the tablet. Inside the mount is some grippy rubbery stuff to hold it in. It's riveted to the Terratrip mount as seen here.

https://instagram.com/p/yuWEmWROqI/

We also wired in a USB port for power.
Dexter
Dexter Clark
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally all of the things

October 14, 2015 02:05AM
Dante
My codriver uses a hard case and zip ties it rigid to the dash.

This is an old picture from LSPR. Since then we have removed the TerraTrip and expanded metal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203806979147268&set=pb.1003263673.-2207520000.1436472299.&type=3&theater

That looks pretty nifty. I want to take a peak this weekend.

This may be sufficient, Bill. I'll follow up.
Dante
Allan Dantes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

October 14, 2015 08:42AM
Not a problem. I have since noticed their decals on Gary DeMasi and Johan Bjorkquist's crucks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login