Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Clever setups for door handles & windows?

Posted by Paddy1337 
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

Re: Clever setups for door handles & windows?
December 11, 2015 02:00PM
tdrrally
i would guess that is why the wrc cars use power windows, do to the cage being in the way of a crank. a window breaker is a good idea even with non-power windows, but what to do with lexan windows?

just plugging in "wrc 2015" into google image search, looks like VW, Citroen, and Hyundai are all using windows with the little slidey porthole in them, which I believe don't roll up/down, crank, electric, or otherwise.

I'd assume to meet any sort of egress requirements they're mounted similarly (albeit more permanently) to some "towing windows" I've seen on road race cars - solidly enough to stay put, but weak enough mounting that they could be kicked out if needed.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

Re: Clever setups for door handles & windows?
December 12, 2015 08:14AM
Aaron Luptak
tdrrally
i would guess that is why the wrc cars use power windows, do to the cage being in the way of a crank. a window breaker is a good idea even with non-power windows, but what to do with lexan windows?

just plugging in "wrc 2015" into google image search, looks like VW, Citroen, and Hyundai are all using windows with the little slidey porthole in them, which I believe don't roll up/down, crank, electric, or otherwise.

I'd assume to meet any sort of egress requirements they're mounted similarly (albeit more permanently) to some "towing windows" I've seen on road race cars - solidly enough to stay put, but weak enough mounting that they could be kicked out if needed.

i will confess it has been several years that i have watched a wrc event, but the subarus and evos had power windows. i lost interest in the wrc after the groupe A days. the FIA remark was more sarcasm. hard to show when typing sometimes.

i do understand the point of the thread, how to get out of car when the doors will not open and windows can not go down? through in fire or a bad water landing and it gets real quick!

i plan to use lexan and the window breaker will not shatter it. this has me rethinking my power windows too. my 1985 celica had power windows as i recall the power door was lighter than the non-power not by much but a pound or so. for the mustang i have one set of power doors and one set of shells, i may just save the shells for the skins. at any rate i will put both to the scale and see how much difference there is.

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login