tin
Valentin Brovko
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda MX3

tin
Re: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
October 30, 2016 11:57PM
for comparison look at the bars/fins and endtanks of the eurojet (the first intercooler I posted is a Calsonic unit that came of the Nissan Pulsar GTIR and will run you $150 used)

Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

October 31, 2016 09:44AM
DanielSL
The top row of three holes is where we will install the mounting tubes for the front light bar.

And you need lights on a rallycross car why?

Oops, read on and got beat to it.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2016 09:45AM by wvonkessler.
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

October 31, 2016 03:11PM
A good quality intercooler core will support the HP you need without being massive like some of those China-made eBay items. This is a Bell Engineering 9" x 12" core efficient up to 256 hp. Build some decent end tanks and it'll flow well with minimal pressure drop.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 09:13AM by Ascona73.
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

November 01, 2016 12:13PM
alkun
Light bar for the rallycross car?

More and more places are running night events once or twice a year. Usually late in the year when night starts earlier.

I think Detroit is running their night event in two weeks.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2016 01:13PM
Ascona73
A good quality intercooler core will support the HP you need without being massive like some of those China-made eBay items. This is a Bell Engineering 9" x 12" core efficient up to 256 hp. Build some decent end tanks and it'll flow well with minimal pressure drop.

Bob, you're right but realistically this thread started in what? Early May? And in 6 months the guy has managed to overcome monumental struggles and bolt on 2 shocks and that's it..

I don't think he's going to be at the point of fabbing up end tanks anytime in the next 10-12 years.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 01, 2016 01:49PM
Be fair John, you forget to mention there's also been some serious sticker application going on.

Shit like that takes time to get them all stuck on in the right place with no bubbles.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2016 03:58PM
danster
Be fair John, you forget to mention there's also been some serious sticker application going on.

Shit like that takes time to get them all stuck on in the right place with no bubbles.

You're right...It IS hard. And that's something that I'm not so good at..Bubbles and even worse CREASES!

Did I tell you about the time when we were putting door numbers on?
Pure hell! But taking them off was even worse; most of the rattle can paint came off with the sticker and i had to do a re-spray and that took a half a can of my old favorite "Zylonite" which was then 99 cents a can. Took me at least 20 minutes to do..

Those were the days..Who would have thought it...

Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! *We* used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from *our* hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, (pause for laughter), eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 01, 2016 05:11PM
DanielSL
Weather is looking good...

How the heck did I miss this. Obviously the weather is good, Dan stays in Florida. He can't blame the weather for lack of progress.

Over here it's now winter so dark before 5pm and it feels cold as fook because it doesn't drop that far below freezing to dry the air.
In summer it's light, but that generally only allows you to see the rain drops pissing down.
Due to these inclement conditions a lot of the denizens of these isles haven't evolved enough to cope with when the rain stops and the sun actually shines.
During these rare sunny times the normally white with bluish hue of our skin quickly turns pink as it frazzles in the rays emitting from the fireball in the sky. A situation often compounded due to drinking loads of beer to keep cool whilst forgetting to apply sunblock.
Any significant spells of good weather are usually not spent working on rally cars, no they are spent trying to revive a lawnmower back to life to cut the bastarding grass.
And due to the wonders of the modern world manifesting in the prevalence of ethanol fuels, the rubber gaskets and diaphragms in the lawnmower's carb are virtually guaranteed to be shriveled to the point the fecker won't start or run properly, que more beer consumed in frustration...

So in hindsight, I hereby apologise to Dan, because fitting two rear shocks in 6 months is productivity I can only aspire to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 05:16PM by danster.
tin
Valentin Brovko
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda MX3

tin
November 01, 2016 05:45PM
Wrenching in all this cold... yer hands freeze into the shape of open box wrenches, saves loads of time when you don't have to go diggin around in a pile of em trying to read the numbers in the winter darkness. Can torque right to spec by listening for the click in yer elbows too. And it doesn't hurt so bad bashing a frozen fist into a pointy bolt.
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

November 01, 2016 06:59PM
Danny, to be fair, I don't "stay" in Florida. This is merely where I hang my hat and work.

There's the family home in N.H., the log cabin in N.H., the ski cabin in Vermont, the house on Big Hero Island in Lake Champlain, the summer home on Mt. Desert Island in Maine, the family home in Boston, the vacation estate in Bridgehampton on Long Island, the house here in Florida, the hunting property in Florida, the sailboat here, the Yacht in Fort Lauderdale, and the property on Vanua Levu, Fiji. Jesus, I just read that... I need to consolidate.

Just this summer and September; I've been in Vermont, Maine, N.H. twice, Boston, and New Jersey twice. Took the sailboat out for a long weekend, and spent a week on the Yacht. Combine that with other hobbies, interests, family obligations; and oh yeah, work, to pay for it all... That doesn't leave much free time.

For a thread that started off as a fun hobby, with bonding with my step-sons as its goal. One which began with a post that stated quote; "This will be a slow build, piece by piece, as budget allows.", it amazed me what you guys expect sometimes.

It will get done as I feel it should, with its importance very low on my list. The only thing that may make things move a little more quickly is this last weekend I narced myself out with my wife, and she now knows about it. Which means no more hiding parts and pieces, and not having to sneak around 30 minutes here, or an hour there to work on it.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2016 09:52PM
DanielSL
Danny, to be fair, I don't "stay" in Florida. This is merely where I hang my hat and work.

There's the family home in N.H., the log cabin in N.H., the ski cabin in Vermont, the house on Big Hero Island in Lake Champlain, the summer home on Mt. Desert Island in Maine, the family home in Boston, the vacation estate in Bridgehampton on Long Island, the house here in Florida, the hunting property in Florida, the sailboat here, the Yacht in Fort Lauderdale, and the property on Vanua Levu, Fiji. Jesus, I just read that... I need to consolidate.

Just this summer and September; I've been in Vermont, Maine, N.H. twice, Boston, and New Jersey twice. Took the sailboat out for a long weekend, and spent a week on the Yacht. Combine that with other hobbies, interests, family obligations; and oh yeah, work, to pay for it all... That doesn't leave much free time.

All those homes and properties and you decided the budget for suspension was $1200...

Bullshit much?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 01, 2016 10:04PM
John; what I have been given, inherited, and received in trust do not affect my budget. Be it properties, or investments. A rallycross car is just that. A car. A toy. For a hobby. It is not a purpose built, stage rally machine. And therefore has a budget. If you ever plan to be successful at any walk in life, you may want to learn some things. Like some of the richest people still shop at Wal-Mart. Some of the most affluent millionaires don't have servants, or staff. The first key to making money is saving money.
I am lucky enough to be middle class. Maybe upper middle class, considering I live in Florida. So where my money goes, is still important to me. But don't worry, I'll make sure to splurge on whats' important. Mainly safety gear. I'm just happy I found a reasonably priced, and better alternative to the crap you build. Oh wait, you don't build it. You buy Bilstein, and then claim to improve on their product. When they have real engineers, and a real engineering department, and a real engineering budget. You need to have a jack fail when your head is under a car, and you forgot to put in the jack stands. At least that would do this forum a favor.
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

November 01, 2016 10:47PM
When you're done wishing people dead, can I have a loan for my purpose built stage rally machine? I need at least 12 more rims and tires... And this NA build of mine is def gonna need a gnarly intercooler, to like, cool the inters. And uh, since you got the light hookups, man, hook me up. Lights are expensive!

Invest in someone whose buildtimeline is even longer than yours!

Rally Capitalism, Baby!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 10:50PM by Paul Buck.
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 01, 2016 10:51PM
Paul; if I get some down time between the Fort Lauderdale boat show, and the New Orleans boat show; I will definitely PM you some details on this vendors offerings. I will send you housing sizes, lumens, draw, etc...
If there is anything I can do, just let me know. Even if its getting them at my dealer price, or freebie samples. I am more than happy to do what I can for the community.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 02, 2016 08:18AM
DanielSL
If you ever plan to be successful at any walk in life, you may want to learn some things. Like some of the richest people still shop at Wal-Mart. Some of the most affluent millionaires don't have servants, or staff. The first key to making money is saving money.

Somewhat limited examples of being successful in life, all based around money...

But what if some folks choose to define their "success in life rating" by incorporating aspects other than money into the coefficient utilised to grade themselves? eye popping smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login