Posted by DanielSL 
DexterVW
David Baker
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

Re: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
August 31, 2016 07:01AM
What we are all trying to do is get you to a very competitive car with less budget and time wasting. Fuck the hotbits, waist of money you could spend on a driving school, another race, a truck and trailer, a new set of bocce balls. Buy the HD's with a warranty so when one does F-up you can just get a new one.

Bilstien HDs and stockish springs, DONE. Everyone else's opinion (which is what you are fishing for on this forum) matches.

If you go coil over for some insane reason like you want to piss away money on your rallyxer, buy from here https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-72-09-220/overview/ and save yourself a few bob. But also don't buy alloy coil over sleeves... cause they can and do mushroom under these conditions. See it's those little nuances that we've all wasted our own time and money on.

If you want AMAZING opinions and solid input that will net you a VERY competitive car stay here, if you want a build thread start a Blog and drop us the link so we can all laugh together.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

August 31, 2016 07:26AM
David; Hence why I am buying the HD's, for the front. Already bought the HotBits for the rear, because they gave me a killer deal on a pair already in north america. Some reason or other, they had rears by themselves. So I took advantage of the killer deal.
I will be attending the schools at the FIRM, as it is only a few hours from me. Trailer taken care of. Two duallys to choose from, for tow vehicle status. Already have the bocce balls, lol.

Jetta VR6 wagon springs are "stockish", will handle the duties, and give me the lift I need. Good info on the alloy sleeves, as that is all I have found yet. Do not want a part failure on the front end, with all the money going into the engine. Just ordered a skid plate, so last thing I need to do is turn it into a shovel with a strut failure.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 31, 2016 10:10AM
DexterVW
If you want AMAZING opinions and solid input that will net you a VERY competitive car stay here, if you want a build thread start a Blog and drop us the link so we can all laugh together.

It is kind of interesting how an Italian is misusing a forum since it was the Romans who conceived the forum as a place for discussion and debate.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 31, 2016 10:14AM
Going to a rally school won't give you much insight on driving an SCCA type rallycross, especially for the PRICE. They are usually more gear towards stage rally skills. If you just want to do it for fun go for it, but realize that is a huge chunk of money that can fund events with your car.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

August 31, 2016 10:46AM
Thomas; In this case, it will work out well. The FIRM, where I will be taking the class(es) runs a Rally Sprint series of their own. They also are in my Region, and send 2 cars, and 3-4 drivers to every RallyCross event held.
So if I get an instructor that is one of the drivers in our Regional RX's, not only will he be able to teach about the RX needs and RS needs, but he will have familiarity with the courses I will be running on.

If I was going to do something crazy with my money, I'd go to team O'Neil, since they are based about 20 minutes from my ski cabin, about an hour from the house I grew up in. All those years watching Mt. Washington hill climbs is what started this obsession. Met John Buffum when I was 16 and saw him running the factory Rallye Golf.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 31, 2016 11:31AM
DanielSL
Thomas; In this case, it will work out well.

No you have shown yourself to be extremely resistant to instruction. You decided a long list of not merely slightly wrong conclusions but extremely stupid decisions and are totally resistant to good, solid and understandable advice...hence you paying them to futilely attempt to instruct you is a waste of their time and your money.

The FIRM, where I will be taking the class(es) runs a Rally Sprint series of their own. They also are in my Region, and send 2 cars, and 3-4 drivers to every RallyCross event held.
So if I get an instructor that is one of the drivers in our Regional RX's, not only will he be able to teach about the RX needs and RS needs, but he will have familiarity with the courses I will be running on.

So what. The knowledge you need is how to pay attention to the world outside of your anger filled, rage drenched , appearance of status filled head, not a few simple flat corners in a flat field at slow average speed.. We've already figured out your major problem----excessive and pointless aggression and defensiveness and you have admitted the same....evidently from long ago..You are still as you were. Life has taught you nothing, why would you expect an instructor to be able to penetrate your skull when your own evidently tragic life has taught you nothing.
Waste of time..
DON'T FUCK UP---there. send me a check for the cost of the school.

If I was going to do something crazy with my money, I'd go to team O'Neil, since they are based about 20 minutes from my ski cabin, about an hour from the house I grew up in. All those years watching Mt. Washington hill climbs is what started this obsession.

Maybe you should realise that your obsessive nature is the problem.

There is serious debate among thoughtful people about the cost/benefit of even O'Niell's syllabus but it is not anything to discuss here..In your case it would simple be even a greater waste of their time and your money...And you should have said "If I were to continue to do crazy things with no point for my money I would..."

Met John Buffum when I was 16 and saw him running the factory Rallye Golf.

Good you met John. He's a great driver---not for his 110 National wins against numbskulls like me running an old WRC level Ninteen fucking sixtynine Saab, but for his being so far in all North American rally history, the ONLY American to dare to match the Europeans on their own turf and have any respectable results---and having done that to some degree in a different sport, I know how hard it is to do the "drop in for one event" way that he did it...
His continuing passion for the sport also is cause for respect....And his ability to shift perspective and speak straight---when there's no mike and camera around.

One little point.. Unless it was strictly for evaluation or test-of-concept I doubt very seriously you saw Buffum in a Rallye Golf. Or maybe just for shits-and-giggles.

O'neill ran a Golf in the early 90s in allegedly "Production" trim....and as all us old salty dogs know in actual fact ALL the Production cars and especially the VWs run out of or descended from Guy Light's Michigan operations were all hilariously cheating. Indeed to call the amount of egregious, over the top, obvious cheating "pushing the rules" make a mockery of language..

His sucess overall in the Golf somehow got him a GROUP N--that is virtually bone stock "G60 Rallye Golf" car loan for a one off appearance at 1991 WRC Finland...
Back at the times results were hard to find..Speaking with a number of people there at the event deeply involved, they either remember "No I remember nothing" or the best "I think he was in the 60th-80th place overall then DNF....terrible car"

In other words, nothing..not on same page , not on same day of week as any "real" driver.
Just happy amateur, and there is nothing wrong with that...nothing at all.
remember what I said of "on off appearances"...very hard. Usually meaningless...just debt.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

August 31, 2016 11:49AM
John;

It was O'Neils car that I saw Mr. Buffum drive at Mt. Washington. I can't be sure, as I was a teenager, but I believe they both ran it that year. So probably for the shits and giggles. It was before 92' I am sure, because in 93' I moved south.
I had no clue that O'Neil ever ran in Europe - especially in a Golf. Those days, we barely had cable in New England. Besides the local rally/hill climb scene; news of rallying was left to visiting the Audi and Saab dealerships when my fathers cars were being worked on. The mechanics in the back always had the posters, and pics up on their walls.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

August 31, 2016 01:36PM
^^^ Geez...this is almost civil conversation. Need far more Jackass involvement to keep the thread buzzing.

So a 1500 buck budget for pointless suspension, but what was decided for clutch and lsd (that's lsd diff not drugs m'kay)

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
MattP
Matt Pullen
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

August 31, 2016 01:52PM
danster
^^^ Geez...this is almost civil conversation. Need far more Jackass involvement to keep the thread buzzing.

So a 1500 buck budget for pointless suspension, but what was decided for clutch and lsd (that's lsd diff not drugs m'kay)

For $1500 you can go to Hertz/Budget and get a new car for every round for at least a couple of years.. and yes I have done that

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

August 31, 2016 03:05PM
Danny;

Clutch/Flywheel is a clutchmasters Stage III, with a lightened flywheel.

LSD is most likely going to be a 3J NXG plate style, once I finish my research on them. They have 3 90 degree and 1 45 degree option for the 02J box; and I haven't started reading up on which type will be best for my track conditions.
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

August 31, 2016 06:50PM
danster

The phrase "disease of American Capitalist" is rolling around in my head.

I would point out that Leon just posted his awesome Rabbit/Caddy/Golf/Miata contraption up for sale for the shockingly low price of $3750 (I wouldn't sell my RX-7 for a dime under $8k and it isn't as built as his car is) and his car is phenomenal to watch out on course. Controlled, composed, and FAST.

Something something stick shit on side of car and still not clear broad side of cone.

Leon's car is one of the "stupid fast FWDs" I've mentioned with stock springs and decent dampers. In the front, anyway, he has a Miata suspension in the rear, says it is awesome at keeping the back end from kicking around over rough stuff like twist-beam cars like to do, and it eliminates the possibility of rolling your car when a stub axle breaks like happened to his Golf in 2014.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 06:53PM by Pete.
alkun
Albert Kun
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 31, 2016 10:35PM
LSD for rallycross? do people do that for fwd? sounds like it will understeer, but at least you will still have one wheel drive after you inevitably snap a cv with turbo power and tight corners.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

September 01, 2016 06:20AM
I cannot believe the Caddy is up for sale. Did Leon get bored with RX? Is he building something even more radical? His build is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. He is an amazing fabricator, and competitor.

Yes, in Modified Class, if you want to win; you eventually put in a lsd.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

September 01, 2016 09:48AM
Pete
I would point out that Leon just posted his awesome Rabbit/Caddy/Golf/Miata contraption up for sale for the shockingly low price of $3750 (I wouldn't sell my RX-7 for a dime under $8k and it isn't as built as his car is) and his car is phenomenal to watch out on course. Controlled, composed, and FAST.

I haven't looked at the build thread since maybe the first event, and only know Leon by reputation, but HOLY SHIT that is cheap for that car.

(http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7089677-Rallycross-VW-Caddy-build-thread , catching myself up now)

alkun
LSD for rallycross? do people do that for fwd?
I bought the car that is now "the rallycross car" (as opposed to "the stage car", both of which haven't moved in 2 years now sad smiley) simply because it had an LSD in it. (Also, it was basically the same price as just buying the LSD...)

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
DexterVW
David Baker
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

September 01, 2016 02:49PM
LSD, why not just lincoln lock it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login