Advanced

Sourcing Volvo parts

Posted by Not Trolling 
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Professional Moderator

Sourcing Volvo parts
June 29, 2016 06:28PM
So... I want to wake up my 242GT which has the bone stock 2.1l mechanical fi.

From what I gather, a K-cam and exhaust are the first places to make changes, followed by decking the head.

So... where would I look for a K Cam?(Neither IPD or RSport seem to have them, unless i'm blind)
Would IPD's VX cam with an adjustable gear give me improvements?

Where would I head for a header? I'm guessing a custom build would only be as good as the builder and would likely cost and insane amount without any guarantee it flows well.

Exhaust is pipes and hangars... the IPD performance exhaust kit seems like a deal for what it is. (I was juts quoted ~$1,000cad for a custom build manifold back 2.5"

This is for a TSD car, and I'm not convinced I want to start tearing it apart to do the head. Any thoughts?

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

Re: Sourcing Volvo parts
June 29, 2016 07:58PM
John has a source for headers, but the primaries are pretty big on the one that Eric got (maybe they offer something smaller?). The Stahl headers are hilariously undersized and don't really come alive until 5000 rpm. I got a nice header through KL Racing in Sweden, it was $265 USD shipped to my door. The primaries are a bit smaller than the one Eric has on his car, but otherwise identical.

K-cam is a fun OEM cam, but there are better options. IPD VX, which I think is a copy of an ENEM cam, is slightly warmer than the k-cam... if I'm not mistaken.

IPD "Sport" exhaust is decent for the money. The under axle pipe gets a little beat up on my DD, but you could add an over axle pipe for cheap.

Seriously, deck the head. It's a great power adder. Dial in a bit more advance in the ignition too (5 deg added on the b230 in the blue rally volvo).

K-jet can also be adjusted to add more fuel across all revs and loads. There's a little screw in the fuel distributor that you can adjust, but I'd recommend that you have a wideband.
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

June 29, 2016 09:23PM
You've prolly already seen this,

http://www.k-jet.org/articles/archives/b21-and-b23-cams/

You live in the land of K Cams, better a cheap k cam than a $200 ipd cam that may or may not be better for your use. I seem to recall two people from this very forum, one of whom has already chimed in, saying funk the ipd cam just get a k cam.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 29, 2016 11:17PM
Paul Buck
You've prolly already seen this,

http://www.k-jet.org/articles/archives/b21-and-b23-cams/

You live in the land of K Cams, better a cheap k cam than a $200 ipd cam that may or may not be better for your use. I seem to recall two people from this very forum, one of whom has already chimed in, saying funk the ipd cam just get a k cam.

Yeah with all the K cams stacked like cord-wood in Canada IF one could be found for $50-75 ja shore ja betcha go K cam---but remember: it IS an emissions cam..
For just a few dollars and some postage a guy could get a nice FUN cam intended to be a FUN cam.
Of course those cams working are predicated on carving 1,5 to maybe 2mm off the head...and the use of lash caps. If head comes off for shaving, of course one should drop in better springs---the do poop out...and man do i have a nice solution for valve springs...

The big deal with K-jet is it NEEDS a fairly good "signal" or pop to move the airflow door up so lobe separation has to be done with K-jet in mind...also more cam means the need for more fuel and that's where K-jety is a YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE pain...back when all you guys were pre-teens the solution when you could find them was Volvo turbo fuel distributor and warn up regulator...

Used to common as chips... 80mm airflow door, and a bigger fuel dizzy. And importantly with K-jet to get the right fuel-slope--enrichment up to but not be blubbery rich everywher else, the SHAPE of the venturi above the airflow plate must be right...It has to be a dizzy intended to rev.
So a poor mans things was to find the correct PN for last year Wabbit GTI....again, rotsa ruck..
But with those cars would rev and be happy...

So in order:
compression
a real cam intended to be a fun cam
fuel...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

June 30, 2016 12:23AM
I always wondered how a VW fuel dizzy would work on a Volvo. Seems like you could cobble a VW 16v CIS-E setup together and make it work wonders.

To add to what John mentioned about fun cams having smaller base circles, and therefore requiring lash caps.... VW air cooled valves can be used to take up the space AND you can get them in a larger diameter to match the crazy porting you'll be doing to this 2.1L monster winking smiley
NGTD
Dave Cotie
Elite Moderator

June 30, 2016 09:40PM
The easy button is a +T or slap a turbo'd B23 out of a 740 in it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login