Audi UR Quattro Rally Build

Posted by BRAIDusa 
mdcare
Elite Moderator

Re: Audi UR Quattro Rally Build
August 15, 2019 05:59PM
deleted

spammer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 12:44PM by Administrator.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

August 20, 2019 06:38PM
BRAIDusa
Pete
Could you not rotate the radiator so it is behind the throttle body?

I am pretty sure I've seen a few AAN-engined small-chassis cars that were set up this way.

Maybe, not sure.

Probably not. It turns out that people modify the AAN intake manifolds to clear.

I have 7:1 compression 2.3l 10-valve turbo engine with a late model head, that I may be trading for a modified AAN manifold. I did so very much want to set the North American horsepower record for a 10-valve, but that is sort of like being the largest fish in a small pond. The highest number I could find was 369whp, which I could beat fairly easily with the setup I have been accumulating.

But you can fall over that much power with a 20v, and not worry about if you're going to hole a piston from detonation or melt a valve from high EGTs, or do both at the same time.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 06:40PM by Pete.
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

August 20, 2019 07:24PM
Pete
I have 7:1 compression 2.3l 10-valve turbo engine with a late model head, that I may be trading for a modified AAN manifold. I did so very much want to set the North American horsepower record for a 10-valve, but that is sort of like being the largest fish in a small pond. The highest number I could find was 369whp, which I could beat fairly easily with the setup I have been accumulating.

But you can fall over that much power with a 20v, and not worry about if you're going to hole a piston from detonation or melt a valve from high EGTs, or do both at the same time.

I have a friend in Burlington Vermont, and about ten years ago he told me about his neighbor in the industrial park he worked from. Supposedly the kid had a 4000 Quattro with a 10-valve engine and a GT42 Garrett on it making over 550 whp.

Guess he blew it up over and over getting there, but eventually he got it to be reliable as his daily driver.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

August 20, 2019 08:02PM
Ascona73
Pete

I have a friend in Burlington Vermont, and about ten years ago he told me about his neighbor in the industrial park he worked from. Supposedly the kid had a 4000 Quattro with a 10-valve engine and a GT42 Garrett on it making over 550 whp.

Guess he blew it up over and over getting there, but eventually he got it to be reliable as his daily driver.

If true, I haven't heard of him.

The fucked up thing with the 5 cylinder "community" is that it's like they are allergic to fuel. They run super lean, like 12-13:1 under boost, then wonder why they have to retard the timing so much that they turn the exhaust valves to putty.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Outback Wagon EG33, 911 Carrera

September 12, 2019 12:14PM
Solving Intake Manifold Challenges

We found an intake manifold!

It’s a new old stock from Wagner Tuning. A fellow Audi nut had it in his stash and no longer had plans for it. We do! This thing should be plug and play and make moving forward very easy. We test fitted it with the 034 Motorsport phenolic spacer kit and it fit perfectly! Trouble is, nothing else would fit to it. Firstly, the throttle body and power steering pump now want to occupy the same space:

And the fuel rail won’t fit and has nothing to bolt to. At least the injectors line up with the injector holes and there are no inserts to source.

Time to get creative……….

Paul Eddleston
BRAID Wheels USA www.BRAIDUSA.com
Team Illuminata Motorsport www.teamilluminata.com
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

September 26, 2019 08:46AM
Solutions for our beautiful intake manifold

Last time we conversed we were reveling on the beauty of our aftermarket intake manifold and despairing at the frustration that nothing would fit around it. Now we think we have solved all these issues. Read on:

First we made a throttle body adapter to place the throttle body above the power steering pump:

Then we started to hack up the OE fuel rail. We stripped off all the brackets and fuel lines to verify that we could use it. The injector holes lined up and the rail snuggled up nicely against the intake runners.

Then we created fuel lines and incorporated an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, a fuel pressure gauge and even a fuel sampling port!

And somehow during this process the manifold itself got painted gold to match the valve cover.

We also came up with a way to secure the now floppy dip stick tube.

We feel quite good about solving these problems. Of course there are a few minor details to work out such as the throttle cable angle of attack and mounting of ancillary items but they should be easy to figure out. At least now we feel it is time to introduce the engine to it’s new home so they can get acquainted. We do need to run brake lines and a few other bits and bobs around the engine bay before we bolt it in but it’s nice to have the engine out of the workshop.

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

October 10, 2019 10:39AM
We finally have a center console!

The saga of the OE center console is over! This piece took a very convoluted path to get to us from Germany but it arrived via (Friend returning from a trip to England) courier and couldn’t wait to install itself under the dash.

This is the same piece used by most if not all the works cars and comes off lower spec cars not sold in the USA. We could have chopped off the lower half of the UR’s console but we really didn’t want to ruin one and it would never have looked so tidy.

The upper bay will house the OE heater controls, if we can find them again, while the lower bay is still up for grabs. We could install the OE cubby for storage, which would be useful as we’ve lost our glove box, but it might end up being home to the brake bias knob and USB ports. As a bonus, it does come with an accessory socket so there’s that!

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

October 24, 2019 09:31AM
Proper Gravel Rally Wheels!

We ordered more BRAID wheels for the car. This is the third set! We sold the first set including the tires. We have a problem. We justified this set of gravel wheels by ordering them double drilled so we can also use them on our 911 rally car. That car now has five sets of wheels yet only does about 300 miles a year. Did we mention we have a problem? Anyway, we think they look really cool.

Even though they are ET20 they still sit pathetically inboard of the wide body fenders; as they should. LOL

These are a classic BRAID gravel wheel in 15x7. Let’s hope these MRF rally tires don’t age out before we finish the car!

Paul Eddleston
alexinvancouver
Alex
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2015 Fiesta ST, 1990 celica alltrac, 2018 WRX

October 24, 2019 11:22AM
I' m really enjoying this thread.
A few years ago I almost bought one of those for the purpose of building rally car but ended up building what every one else builds lol
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

October 24, 2019 12:11PM
alexinvancouver
I' m really enjoying this thread.
A few years ago I almost bought one of those for the purpose of building rally car but ended up building what every one else builds lol

Glad you are enjoying it. We are beginning to think there's a good reason everybody else builds what everybody else builds. LOL

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 07, 2019 08:49AM
THE ROAD TO RADWOOD - Part 1

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men………..” Robbie burns said that, way before Quattros were invented. Still applies today.

When we left you we had just installed our center console and were about to start working on installing brake lines before we put the engine in. Well that plan got blown up as the car got invited to Radwood Detroit, the car show for 80s and 90s stuff. So our first thought was “Nah, It’s not finished” but then someone suggested that if we got it on its wheels and put the engine in it would still be cool and people would love to see it. So that’s what we did, or tried to.

So this was our starting point, with the engine on a stand and just shoved into the engine bay and the car still on the wooden build table.

We didn’t have a plan for getting it off the table but thought it would be a dam site easier if the engine was still out of it. But first we had to prep a few things. Chiefly bolting the front tie rods onto the uprights. We hadn’t sourced nuts yet but realized some lug nuts of the correct thread would do for now:

And that we’d also need a steering wheel in order to manipulate it around.

We temporarily installed the rear firewall (again):

And rigged up the door strike pins so the doors would stay closed:

We also bolted down the Corbeau seats as best we could. Some adjustments will be necessary before final assembly:

Next time we'll mount the engine and transmission together and get it bolted to the chassis.

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

November 21, 2019 08:03AM
THE ROAD TO RADWOOD - Part 2

We thought we should mount the transmission as well as the engine only has two engine mounts. We figured the whole package would be much more stable mounted together. We don’t yet have a flywheel or a clutch but neither of those are necessary just to bolt the two lumps together.

We recently sourced some pin stands from Motamec in England so our plan was to lower the car onto these initially as that would only mean dropping it a few inches. Plus, the screw jacks we planned to use at one end of the car were to long to allow the wheels to reach the ground in one go so it would have to be a two-step process anyway.

So our plan was to lift the rear using screw jacks on the subframe, as far apart as possible and the front using our engine stand. Once we could slide the table away we would incrementally lower each end of the car onto the pin stands then off those using our high lift jack. This is how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/DQMSTl_lBjA

That’s the first time the car has been on the ground in about fifteen years!

Now the easy bit, throw the engine in and put it in the trailer. How hard could that be with no front on the car:

But wait, what? Who knew the AAN engine brackets wouldn’t line up with the Quattro engine mounts? Oops.

A quick swap to the 10 valve units and we were back in business:

But what’s this? Now the hood won’t close!

Will we make it to Radwood after all? You’ll have to wait to find out.

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

December 10, 2019 10:09AM
We Made it to Radwood!

It turns out this super easy, bolt on aftermarket intake manifold just keeps giving……………us problems. Now the engine is in the hood hits the throttle body, even after we built a custom adapter to stop it hitting the alternator! Well, we soon realised we didn’t need a throttle body to push the car into the trailer so we took it off and adjusted the hood pins so it at least could be locked down. We’ll figure that out later.

So we pushed the car into the light of day. The first time it has rolled on wheels for fifteen years or so. It was during this process that we realised an eyeball alignment is not really accurate and properly aligned wheels make pushing so much easier! It wasn’t bad in a straight line but with the slightest amount of steering lock and it became very difficult. Still it looks pretty good in the day light.

And In. Yes, we used the trailer winch.

The car was very well received at Radwood and look resplendent parked alongside its stable mates.

We must admit, getting the car in the public eye inspired us to push harder to get it finished. We might even have a deadline now!

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 30, 2020 10:16AM
HOOD CLEARANCE

Back from Radwood we were inspired to get the car finished for next year. Not the least because we realized that 2020 is the 40th anniversary of the Quattro as it debuted at the Geneva Motorshow on March 1st, 1980. We don’t think we can get it ready for March but certainly having it done sometime in 2020 seems a worthy tribute. So lets get cracking!

First we have to get the hood to close. It turns out the strengthening ribs on our fiber glass hood are about twice as deep as the stock hood’s. That and the fact that this engine was never meant to go in this body are hopefully why there is interference. We hope so because we decided to cut a big hole in the hood!

And then make it even bigger!

It fits now and is almost smiling.

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 27, 2020 09:47AM
MIRRORS

It’s nice to conquer the big projects like intercoolers and radiators but sometimes those plans get stalled due to parts availability or even just the magnitude of them. Then it can also be nice and quite gratifying to check off a small project, even something as seemingly trivial as door mirrors.

Yes, we installed the door mirrors. But first we had to track some down and then decide where to put them. These cars in period were never quite the same as one another but they all seemed to share a common mirror, the now ridiculously expensive, for a mirror, Talbot bullet-shaped classic:

Price for new ones are over $300 each but, of course, something this easy to copy has been replicated by many and we found a set of knock offs in in England for just $65 .

Next massive decision: where to mount them? Some cars had them mounted to the doors in period, including the Rothmans cars after which ours is modelled. Others had them on the triangular part at the bottom of the window frames where the road car mirrors were.

Both locations position the actual glass in more or less the same place so functionally there is little to be gained with one or the other. If they mount to the doors they seem to be white and if on the window surround they are black. Also, if we mount them on the window frames we still have the problem of filling the hole left by the original mirror.

At this point is should be clear where ours are going. Yes, on the window frames. They are already satin black so will not need to be refinished and they will automatically fill that little triangular hole. Well, the mirrors won’t but the triangular plate we’ll have to make will.

First mockup took a lot of trial and error drilling.

Which left quite a few additional holes on the inside, which, to be fair, was always going to need a cover anyway.

We initially mocked it up in cardboard:

And then cut them out of 1/8” aluminum. A bit shorter as we realized we needed to extend the top bar in order to mount the door card.

But then we found a piece of very thin carbon fiber and decided that would be way more appropriate, especially as the surface wasn’t flat anyway.

We still made the outside pieced out of aluminum as they had to span a large void.

That gave us everything we needed.

Just had to slap it all together.

We may paint the screws and washers black one day.

Paul Eddleston
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login