Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Critique of this suspension design (John?)

Posted by dreamsofjvl 
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Professional Moderator

Critique of this suspension design (John?)
October 29, 2016 12:55PM
I have some pictures of a car that has intrigued me the last little while. Wanted the anarchists opinions on whether it is suitable for stage or not. Lets keep the concept of the comparison as a "this design is better/worse than a 02-07 STi for X reason"

Front

Rear

So my personal critique of what I see:

Front -
1) Current factory setup seems to have a lot of cv axle angle at maximum factory droop. Could be difficult to keep cv axles happy if going for additional travel?

2) Should be extremely easy to get Bilstein 50mms in there without having to fabricate knuckle mounts as the strut tube goes directly into the knuckle

3) Aluminum factory control arms (look very easy to swap)

4) Aluminum front subframe... don't know what to think of this?

5) Ball joints look rinky-dink

Rear-
1) Coilover would require cutting the unibody and modifying/adding turrets to the towers. Makes things difficult in Production classes, not so much an issue in open

2) Coilover would also require something to bolt to at the bottom, currently the shock bolts to a single shear bolt which is no bueano

Thats just my non-learnded off the cuff analysis. Relative to a stock 02-07 WRX/STi, it appears getting lots of travel would be more difficult. Some of the equipment seems strong in its design (keeping the spring on the arm keeps force off the single sheer shock bolt and tower, which would mean very simple and inexpensive 50mm bilstein would also work in the rear), but other parts (like the front ball joint, front tie rods, and that weird upper lateral arm thing in the rear) may not be as durable.

Thoughts?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NGTD
Dave Cotie
Mega Moderator

Re: Critique of this suspension design (John?)
October 29, 2016 02:29PM
R32 Golf?
alkun
Albert Kun
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

October 30, 2016 06:37PM
Looks like utter crap, it will all break.
mhooper
Michael Hooper
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
ae86/gone

November 04, 2016 08:46PM
For some reason pics aren't showing up on my phone... Kinda funny, I was coming to the site to post a nearly identical question, but with different car pics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login