Posted by LexusFman 
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

Re: Whos the fanboy now????????
November 24, 2016 07:58AM
I've been trying man, but snow just hit, meaning everybody wants snow tires all at once! (I'm a Tire Technician at Mavis). After work it's so late and I'm so pooped I just end up clonking out. I would spend nights at the shop but I got no heat!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 24, 2016 09:35AM
i hear you on that nothing slows a project like long days and family holidays. i may sell my house and buy a studio/shop to live in, makes it easier to putter along on a project until its DUN!

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

November 24, 2016 10:00AM
tdrrally
i hear you on that nothing slows a project like long days and family holidays. i may sell my house and buy a studio/shop to live in, makes it easier to putter along on a project until its DUN!
Already ahead of you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 24, 2016 01:02PM
LexusFman
I've been trying man, but snow just hit, meaning everybody wants snow tires all at once! (I'm a Tire Technician at Mavis). After work it's so late and I'm so pooped I just end up clonking out. I would spend nights at the shop but I got no heat!

You can sleep in your rally car
But you can't rally a house..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

November 24, 2016 03:18PM
john vanlandingham
LexusFman

You can sleep in your rally car
But you can't rally a house..

Well yeah, I was gonna do some work to the shop to winterize it but then I got raped by I WANT SNOW TIRES WAAAAAAAAAH. I just need a day off damnit.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

December 07, 2016 07:42PM
Where's the best place to get parts online? iPD?
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

December 07, 2016 08:26PM
Rock auto, Tasca Parts, or FCP. IPD will make you go poorererererer.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

December 08, 2016 07:21PM
So I checked out the Volvo yesterday and got a little time with her. I pulled the plugs, they don't look black or anything but the exposed part with the nut was kinda rusted. Didn't strip or anything tho. Only cylinders #1 and #4 are getting any kind of consistent spark. We got #3 to spark a tiny bit once, but it was faint and we couldn't repeat it. #1 didn't spark until my buddy cleaned up the distributor terminals. I didn't get a chance to put any gas in it because once I found the time to hit up the Volvo, I literally didn't have enough money to fill up my gas can. Also, me and my buddy noticed one of the belts was completely fuxked,I think it was the one to the alternator, so I was thinking about doing all of the belts, getting a distributor cap and rotor, and then drain gas from the fuel line going to the rail to put new gas in and see if we're getting fuel to the party. Also, it feels really good to finally work on my Volvo shmoke some weed and drink some beer with my buds.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 03, 2017 06:05PM
Ok so I did a patheticly small amount of tinkering, and swapped the cap and rotor. (I didn't buy new parts, swapped it from my 2nd motor.) Now I'm only getting spark from #4! I noticed when I swapped out the cap and rotor the distributor looked different from the one that it came off of. It didn't have a slot for the electrical connector (like the one on my spare motor), and there wasn't anything in it except the rod thingy the rotor spins on which I thought was weird. I'll post a pic I took of the one in the car. Also, I found out I'm not getting fuel. Thumbed through the Haynes just like JVL said and found a blown fuel pump fuse. The fuel thing I think I can figure it out, but I've read pretty much everything the Haynes manual has to say about redblock ignition systems and I'm still pretty much stumped. My guess is either my car is missing parts of the distributor or it's just a different ignition system (For those who don't know, since the Volvo 240 was sold from '75-'93 theres like 5 versions of EVERYTHING).

Also, I put gas in it. 93 premium. YAYY
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

January 03, 2017 09:49PM
So there's basically two types of caps for a too-ferty.
Chrysler ignition cars (generally a white cap), or normal Volvo's with an orange cap. Normal orange makes getting parts easier.
What you has? Lh 2.X?
Sounds like you should grab some ghetto cheap plug wires, clean up the ORIGINAL cap and rotor, and then see what happens.
Also, check and CLEAN, every single fuse and the contacts in the fuse panel. You will thank me later.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 04, 2017 06:22AM
It has an orange cap on it that says Bosch. We already cleaned original one when I first tested it for spark the first time. The second time, we tested it with a multimeter and cleaned it up again. Apparently we didn't do a good enough job. Old cap and rotor or "new" cap and rotor, same story. We tested and swapped the plug wires from my old motor too. Same story, no spark on anything but #4. I don't understand how we could have gone backwards! Here's a pic of whats in my car with the cap and rotor off.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20170102_201809563.jpg (28.9 KB)
IMG_20170102_201809563.jpg
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

January 04, 2017 11:33AM
Good news, your car has LH2.4... if it's a manual. See how there's nothing but a shaft inside the distributor? If there was a sensor in there, then you would have more things to check.

Alright, so you have intermittent spark on all cylinders... sounds like somethings not right.
Before you go out and buy anything:
Pull the oil filler cap and have someone crank the engine over. Now look and see if the camshaft is spinning and if the distributor shaft is also spinning.
Do they all spin?
If they do, use the pulley on the crank and the timing marks on the timing cover to locate the engine at top dead center (0deg). Now pull all the screws on the upper timing belt cover and pull the top towards the front of the car. There should be a dimple on the cam gear and a plastic bump to align it with. Do they line up? Are they 180deg out?... Just rotate the engine another revolution and see if they line up. It's magic!

If that all checks out, clean the cap and rotor really well with a wire brush or a scotch brite pad. Then reinstall everything and make sure the distributor is timed properly. The rotor should point at the notch in the distributor housing when the motor is at TDC.

Cool, now everything is installed as it should be. Go buy some cheap spark plug wires! $25.
Go get some new NGK copper plugs. BPR6ES.
Install. In the correct order!
See if it runs. Report back.

And clean the freaking fuse panel!
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 11, 2017 08:29PM
I broke the timing belt cover like you said, and tried to start it. The crank pulley and the power steering belt spin but the cam doesn't. The timing belt is still intact. ????
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

January 11, 2017 08:56PM
The timing belt runs crank, aux shaft and cam. Is belt just skipping/jumping over cam pulley? I is confused.

Sounds like you need to pull crank pulley off and see what the haps is.

Don't forget to make note of where your shimmy shims are on the crank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 09:00PM by Paul Buck.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 11, 2017 11:03PM
Paul Buck
The timing belt runs crank, aux shaft and cam. Is belt just skipping/jumping over cam pulley? I is confused.

Sounds like you need to pull crank pulley off and see what the haps is.

Don't forget to make note of where your shimmy shims are on the crank.
I have no clue man how do you think I feel. I'm just a tire technician I can't do this shit lol. I was just down there but my battery was dead from me leaving it on so I didn't get to check that stuff out I was just mostly playing around with it. I pulled the valve cover off and everything looks normal I think but my buddy said it's too dry

And what is a shimmy shim??!?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 11:07PM by LexusFman.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20170111_214949696.jpg (38 KB)
IMG_20170111_214949696.jpg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login