Posted by LexusFman 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

Re: Whos the fanboy now????????
January 15, 2017 06:27PM
danster
Robert Culbertson
Swap takes a weekend at best... if you lay off the weed and booze.

Swap will only take a morning if he and his mates can score some good amphetamines! smiling bouncing smiley

That's the way to do it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 15, 2017 08:34PM
I have a whole motor to swap in the dude says is tits. I'm just messing around with this because I am way too broke to take anything to a mechanic, I don't have an engine crane yet, and I might as well learn seeing as how retarded I am.

Can I hit the head with a hammer till it comes apart, send it to some old creepy machinist guy to shave it a few thou' like the other old creepy guy says to do, and rebuild it? That sounds more fun and I bet the head mechanic mad bucks that my Volvo will be running by March and smoke his mustang and I talked mad shit so....
Robert Culbertson
Super Moderator

January 16, 2017 12:13PM
Cam won't turn ->Find out why.
Head is probably going to need $300 in repairs to make it work if it's all banana'd or needs the cam line machined.
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

January 16, 2017 08:15PM
LexusFman
I have a whole motor to swap in the dude says is tits. I'm just messing around with this because I am way too broke to take anything to a mechanic, I don't have an engine crane yet, and I might as well learn seeing as how retarded I am.

Can I hit the head with a hammer till it comes apart, send it to some old creepy machinist guy to shave it a few thou' like the other old creepy guy says to do, and rebuild it? That sounds more fun and I bet the head mechanic mad bucks that my Volvo will be running by March and smoke his mustang and I talked mad shit so....

too broke to go to a mechanic? Only thing to do is become a mechanic. Take it all apart and figure out whats going on in there.

Just remember; "You have to get it wrong, to get it right."
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

January 17, 2017 05:54AM
I agree with Albert in the above post. I feel for you man. 26 years ago I was a high school kid just getting into SCCA racing with my best friend. Luckily his dad owned a garage, so we had space and tools. But no knowledge. His father basically told us the same thing. To not mess up our daily drivers and track cars, we had to learn.
We went to the junkyards and came back with a longblock 1.8 GTI engine for 100 bucks, and a 1.7 longblock with transmission for 150 bucks. We put them both on the bench and went to town with a Chilton and a Haynes.
Learning the right tools for the job with everything accessible and easy to get to made life a lot easier when we were at the pits trackside; especially when something went wrong in 3 hour enduros, and time was of the essence. Later in IT racing, I always looked back on those days and thanked god that ol' Jack had made me learn myself.
Throughout college I worked as a tire tech, and eventually at Porsche as a technician for my last year of college and the year after; before I got into my career field.
Two and a half decades later, I have lost so many skills learned early on; I had to have a shop build 75-80% of the car I am going to run in RX this season.

Follow Alberts advice. Become a mechanic. And then stick with that platform, as your knowledge base will only get better.

Good luck, and have fun.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 18, 2017 04:12PM
Why don't I get girls? My head game strong.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20170118_170541951.jpg (36.2 KB)
IMG_20170118_170541951.jpg
open | download - IMG_20170118_170510295.jpg (34 KB)
IMG_20170118_170510295.jpg
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 18, 2017 04:58PM
If you can't turn over the engine now, then at least you'll know where the problem is... smileys with beer
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 19, 2017 11:56AM
Ignore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2017 11:58AM by LexusFman.
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 19, 2017 12:05PM
Have you narrowed down the issue; to the block or the head being the one that is seized up, yet?
Pete
Pete Remner
Junior Moderator

January 19, 2017 12:33PM
Alternator smiling smiley

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 19, 2017 06:43PM
I'm almost 100% sure the head is frozen because the accessories spin and the crank pulley spins but the belt doesn't. so I know the bottom end isn't seized. It might not be holding compression good cuz I dont have compressed air to do a leak down test, but I'm pretty sure the bottom end is moving
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

January 21, 2017 10:05PM
So I took the cam out and I don't think it's seized anymore you can see the valves tappets springs and all that shit move when you take the bearing caps off and the little pin still moves idk
DanielSL
Daniel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 22, 2017 12:28PM
How smoothly does the crank pulley turn now, with the head off? Are the pistons going through their rotations with no issues? When you have each piston all the way down, do you see any scoring on the insides of the cylinders?
If you have any scoring, now is the time to hone it. Change the piston rings, and be done with the lower end. While you're honing the cylinders, you can even check your crank bearings. Honestly, all that can be done without even removing the block from the car.
Drop the oil pan, drop the crank, with the pistons still attached. Hone the cylinders with a drill mounted hone. Change crank bearings and wrist pin bearings and rod bearings. Reinstall assembly. Put on new piston rings. Drop in from top. Torque everything back together. Liberal coating of marvel mystery oil on the honed cylinders to prevent corrosion. Spin over by hand every day 5-10 times while you're working on the head. Put fully machined head with port/polish and 3 way valve job back on block.
Have real mechanic set the timing, install timing belt/chain, and set-up distributor for you. Reinstall all new belts/hoses.
Engine at least, maybe even Car ready to go.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2017 01:14PM
DanielSL
How smoothly does the crank pulley turn now, with the head off? Are the pistons going through their rotations with no issues? When you have each piston all the way down, do you see any scoring on the insides of the cylinders?
If you have any scoring, now is the time to hone it. Change the piston rings, and be done with the lower end. While you're honing the cylinders, you can even check your crank bearings. Honestly, all that can be done without even removing the block from the car.
Drop the oil pan, drop the crank, with the pistons still attached. Hone the cylinders with a drill mounted hone. Change crank bearings and wrist pin bearings and rod bearings. Reinstall assembly. Put on new piston rings. Drop in from top. Torque everything back together. Liberal coating of marvel mystery oil on the honed cylinders to prevent corrosion. Spin over by hand every day 5-10 times while you're working on the head. Put fully machined head with port/polish and 3 way valve job back on block.
Have real mechanic set the timing, install timing belt/chain, and set-up distributor for you. Reinstall all new belts/hoses.

Look. you need to shut the fuck up. You are just blabbering..You know nothing, and have nothing to add to this, so sghut up. If the kid wants he knows he can call a competent mechancic and engine builder so go and see if you can magange to take 9 months to bolt a pair of shitty shocks on the car.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Super Moderator

January 22, 2017 03:14PM
john vanlandingham
DanielSL

Look. you need to shut the fuck up. You are just blabbering..You know nothing, and have nothing to add to this, so sghut up. If the kid wants he knows he can call a competent mechancic and engine builder so go and see if you can magange to take 9 months to bolt a pair of shitty shocks on the car.

Except what he said was mostly correct. You're just being a bitter a-hole.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login