Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

GPS rally computers
November 30, 2016 10:17AM
As many if you know, we import and sell rally computers from Monit. The GPS ones start at $600.
A good friend and customer dropped by last night with this little gem. Runs on a lipo battery with 3 day battery life and had a usb jack. Built it Monday night and only wrote enough code for an auto brightness adjuster, interval distances and speed. Kinda fun having smart people around. It used to flash 8008 upon turn on.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMAG1349.jpg (36.9 KB)
IMAG1349.jpg
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

Re: GPS rally computers
November 30, 2016 10:50AM
Is it just GPS based or are there provisions for an IMU or trigger wheel input?
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 30, 2016 10:59AM
i like it

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 30, 2016 11:00AM
isn't ARA considering mandating those GPS rally safe rentals like they have in Canada?

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 30, 2016 11:06AM
Gravity Fed
isn't ARA considering mandating those GPS rally safe rentals like they have in Canada?

Shirley you cannot be serious.

Marketing scam and maybe kickback under the table dealie if i ever saw any...

"Oh you just LEASE the box for ever and it's SOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOO complicated you hafta fly in from fuckin Oz one of our uniquely qualified Super-technicians all for the low low lease fee of....$200 per car per event E for EVAR!!....for your convenience."

Have all the Organisers gone prematurely fucking senile?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 30, 2016 02:31PM
CARS and ARA were both considering using RallySafe for National Championship events/competitors. Scam? Isn't everything these days. Look at how most computer software is trying to transition to annual or monthly fee based. Office, Adobe, QuickBooks and more. Recurring and ongoing fees is where it's at.
This is not necessarily a product we or he is developing, just a cool home project that would probably need quite a bit more development. It could be fun to sell it as a cheap DIY kit where you have to build it and we provide the software open source.

Grant Hughes
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

November 30, 2016 03:03PM
NoCoast
This is not necessarily a product we or he is developing, just a cool home project that would probably need quite a bit more development. It could be fun to sell it as a cheap DIY kit where you have to build it and we provide the software open source.

What microcontroller is it based off of. Does he have any plans of starting a GitHub repo for it or something similar?
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Ultra Moderator

November 30, 2016 04:38PM
john vanlandingham

Have you met Keith? He was senile the first day I met him 12 years ago spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Love you long time Keith winking smiley

Its all about safety though. Of course, when you point out that the number one step towards safety is preventing anything from happening to begin with, and a system like that helps in maybe 0.05% of all rally incidents, well, its all about safety, damn the costs!

You and your friend going to sell those Grant? My terratrip is knackered.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 30, 2016 09:12PM
dreamsofjvl
john vanlandingham

Have you met Keith? He was senile the first day I met him 12 years ago spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Love you long time Keith winking smiley

Its all about safety!!!! eye popping smileythough.

Of course, when you point out that the number one step towards safety is preventing anything from happening to begin with, and a system like that helps in maybe 0.05% of all rally incidents, well, its all about safety!!!!, damn the costs!

Well Vokes I was reading you doing a really well expressed clean and concise critique of this new plaything idea.
I was impressed because here you do your best to present a persona of a spoiled, stupid, snotty punk asshole, and there you wrote clearly and well reasoned.. Good job..Keep it up.

At the cost it--the stupid Australian scammy thing--- is stupid...

We've all read about "13 people drove right by the triangles" and people ignoring OK or lack of any sign---and ZERO consequences from either local steward, organisers or anybody...
So SOLID evidence, oft repeated old stories that people are currently --and have constantly for the 30 years I've been ranting about triangles---ignoring to follow rules regarding displaying triangles and OK sign---and simultaneously, multiple crews ignoring the LACK of triangles or OK signs---all with no consequences....

and now ONLY this scam lease forever thing and fly some scammy fawkin Ozzie bastid over for a nice holiday is going to suddenly get paid attention to by the same crews..
Brilliant.
Now the crux of the argument---and you can barrow it if ya want---- is getting the fan-bois of spending other people's money to explain precisely:
HOW and WHY people will suddenly pay attention
...and logically that generates the next question:

why will they now suddenly DO THE RIGHT THING once the stupid gizmo alerts them to an potential possible "danger"---which could just be some POS blue Subie that is parked there (and be it a POS blue Subie, a big fuckin' Caterpillar road grader or the thousands of trees and boulders left laying around carelessly---personally I don't need much special instruction to not hit the trees and boulders and junk in the woods..

I've heard that the new ARA is supposedly thinking that this is another brilliant way to generate some revenue..Fuckin Great.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Ultra Moderator

December 01, 2016 10:44AM
john vanlandingham

I was impressed because here you do your best to present a persona of a spoiled, stupid, snotty punk asshole, and there you wrote clearly and well reasoned.. Good job..Keep it up.

Buuuuuuuuuutttttt, as a wise man once said, GFY John. GFY. thumbs up smiley

drinking smiley
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

December 01, 2016 11:29AM
my question is what is the cost to make such a gps rally odo?

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

December 01, 2016 11:43AM
That's pretty neat. I have a few friends that are WAY into the DIY electronics. It interests me, but I just haven't jumped into it.

Not to detract from how awesome this is, but what about a cheap android phone or tablet with an external GPS antenna? That's about $200-$250 for all new parts.... And there's plenty of rally specific odo apps in the free-$15 range.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Professional Moderator

December 01, 2016 12:07PM
dreamsofjvl
Are you talking about the time that even though my team withdrew from Olympus and I had no real reason to go that I went anyway because I had said I'd give you a ride to the event so you could co-drive in your first event?
dreamsofjvl
Smartphone or cheap tablet with a GPS reciever and an app will do as much, or more, than any rally odo out there. I still like my Coralba, but I doubt i'd replace it if it died.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Professional Moderator

December 01, 2016 12:19PM
john vanlandingham
"Oh you just LEASE the box for ever and it's SOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOO complicated you hafta fly in from fuckin Oz one of our uniquely qualified Super-technicians all for the low low lease fee of....$200 per car per event E for EVAR!!....for your convenience."

To clear up this with a couple of facts:

- RallySafe can now be run in North America now without bringing anyone in from Australia, but there is enough to learn that event staff need training on how to get things set-up. We have three of us in Canada that are comfortable enough to run with it, but we still have RallySafe staff available on Skype chat during the event.

- The per-event fee covers equipent rental as well as the server side data crunching and visualisation. If teams had install kits in their cars the per event fee would drop a bit, IF teams owned their own units, the per-event fee would drop BUT NOT DISAPPEAR because the majority of the cost is still operational. (Sat comms time as an example.)

- Wanting to own a RallySafe unit is like wanting to own the ground your service spot is on during a rally. It is a proprietary piece of equipment that needs to work on a specific online application. If you own the box (moreso if the sanctioning body owns 60 of the boxes) then you are absolutely tied to the whims of the provider no matter what they do with ongoing operating costs. If you rent, you can look at other options (or threaten to) because you can walk away without ending up with a lot of expensive capital tied up in now useless gear.

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Ultra Moderator

December 01, 2016 12:20PM
Not Trolling
dreamsofjvl
Are you talking about the time that even though my team withdrew from Olympus and I had no real reason to go that I went anyway because I had said I'd give you a ride to the event so you could co-drive in your first event?
dreamsofjvl

I said you were senile, not that I didn't like you Keith winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login