Advanced

Hydraulic Bumpstops

Posted by dreamsofjvl 
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Infallible Moderator

Hydraulic Bumpstops
January 09, 2017 02:43PM
Anyone have a good resource to learn about these/the concept behind them?

I was told by someone that they are "delicate", which surprised me as their purpose seems anything but. I was under the impression most people at the front run them?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mekilljoydammit
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

Re: Hydraulic Bumpstops
January 09, 2017 04:03PM
http://www.kingshocks.com/products/options/ibp-internal-bypass/ Different application and stuff but same basic idea, or at least that's one implementation - Bos calls one of their systems a "needle hydraulic bumpstop" and I'd bet money it's the same thing. Another implementation I've seen patents for is to have sort of a second floater piston at the end of the shock body, spring loaded and with some ports, that the main piston/rod just sorta bonks into. The needle style jobbies would let you do more with position sensitivity though, as long as the needle doesn't miss the hole, but I guess the other style could give you some external fiddly knobs. We all know how important knobs are, right?

Another cool thing that Bos has is a setup to "see" when the wheel isn't on the ground and open the bleed ports up to release the rebound circuit and let the wheel come down. Basically just a method of having the wheel platform have a little bit of lengthwise play compared to the spring platform, and it pulling down on the clicker when there's not weight forcing the wheel platform into the spring platform.

Fantastically cool stuff is out there if you like to geek out on the stuff and can figure out names to look up patents under... but unless you've got megabux to pay someone for the stuff, not all that useful.
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

January 09, 2017 04:32PM
mekilljoydammit
Another cool thing that Bos has is a setup to "see" when the wheel isn't on the ground and open the bleed ports up to release the rebound circuit and let the wheel come down. Basically just a method of having the wheel platform have a little bit of lengthwise play compared to the spring platform, and it pulling down on the clicker when there's not weight forcing the wheel platform into the spring platform.

I'd been wondering how they did that... always assumed it was some sort of inertial thing. Neat stuff.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
mekilljoydammit
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

January 10, 2017 10:03AM
Yeah, there's lots of cool stuff that's doable inside shock absorbers - I especially like Penske's regressive piston designs, and Dynamic's DSSV spool valve dealies. None of it's exactly *cheap* though, and it's all covered by some patent or another even if you could get it to work.

(... pay no attention to the homebuilt shock dyno project in my barn...)
MattP
Matt Pullen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

January 10, 2017 02:52PM
Have a look at this AV

Bumpstops

offroaders have been using them for years to eliminate the harsh axle action at the end of a long suspension travel.

Where you would try and mount them to a car with A arms and a relatively small travel arc will be the question.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
mekilljoydammit
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

January 10, 2017 03:49PM
Yeah, the ones that the high buck rally coilovers use are integrated into the existing oilybits.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Infallible Moderator

January 10, 2017 04:57PM
mekilljoydammit
Yeah, the ones that the high buck rally coilovers use are integrated into the existing oilybits.

Yes, this is what I was referring to.

I have a pretty good basic understanding of their workings, but the main portion of my question is how/why are they "delicate" as he told me.

I need good, strong suspension. Finicky crap that isn't consistent gets a pass. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login