Posted by deaner 
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: Another XR4T build
June 26, 2017 02:25PM
Tinkered a bit this weekend. Was effing hot all weekend and wasn't feeling very motivated, but got the intercooler and rad installed. Nope Nope Nope. Not digging the IC really. Way too big for what I need and I'd rather not be on the brink of melting the motor down at the end of a stage. Gonna sell this thing and track down a 2wd cossie piece. Looks like it means business though lol.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5259.JPG (53.5 KB)
IMG_5259.JPG
open | download - IMG_5260.JPG (49.6 KB)
IMG_5260.JPG
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 26, 2017 02:36PM
That looks like a decent intercooler! Many have run the stacked intercooler and rad but have many reported issues?

Some have mentioned sealing (via a baffle) in between the two so the air MUST pass through both the lC and radidator.

If you're looking for a 2wd IC, post a WTB ad on MCA forum and the numerous Facebook groups, I'm sure someone has one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

What're you looking to do for intake setup (rotated upper, etc)?
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

June 26, 2017 03:22PM
Dave Clark the lesser has a 2wd cossie style intercooler that he's not using. Let me know if you want it. It's what they sold prior to the kit you bought.

It's this one: https://imagecdn2.panjo.com/images/facebook//c7b36ec0-69ad-4549-b865-2bcc9e9e6bb42.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 03:24PM by Robert Culbertson.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 26, 2017 05:41PM
dunhamr1
That looks like a decent intercooler! Many have run the stacked intercooler and rad but have many reported issues?

Some have mentioned sealing (via a baffle) in between the two so the air MUST pass through both the lC and radidator.

If you're looking for a 2wd IC, post a WTB ad on MCA forum and the numerous Facebook groups, I'm sure someone has one sitting on a shelf somewhere.

I def think this intercooler would do its job well by taking a good bite out of intake temps but just looking at it, it blocks the entire radiator(which is technically smaller than stock to begin with.). I just see massive cooling issues under full load for extended periods of time. What do I know though... Maybe setup a spray bar in front haha.

I've got a hogged out 120* upper intake to match the ported lower. Plumbings all taken care of regardless if I run this or a cosworth IC.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 26, 2017 05:46PM
Robert Culbertson
Dave Clark the lesser has a 2wd cossie style intercooler that he's not using. Let me know if you want it. It's what they sold prior to the kit you bought.

It's this one: https://imagecdn2.panjo.com/images/facebook//c7b36ec0-69ad-4549-b865-2bcc9e9e6bb42.jpg

Thanks! I may be interested if I can't get my hands on a genuine piece sooner than later. You know what he'd want for it? I actually got word today from Mike @ Merkur Depot that his old style rep coolers were less efficient than the genuine 2wd ICs. I'm not going to be making heaps of power by any means but I'd like to get the best I can afford if something's gotta be replaced ya know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2017 06:06PM by deaner.
Robert Culbertson
Mod Moderator

June 26, 2017 05:53PM
deaner
Robert Culbertson

Thanks! I may be interested if I can't get my hands on a genuine piece sooner than later. I actually got word today from Mike @ Merkur Depot that his old style rep coolers were less efficient than the genuine 2wd ICs. I'm not going to be making heaps of power by any means but I'd like to get the best I can afford if something's gotta be replaced ya know?

Yeah we found out they weren't the most efficient. He claimed they were "more than adequate" or something like that when we bought them. Maybe at stock boost, but definitely not at 20psi.
I'll check on the price of the intercooler, but it might just be the cost of shipping.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2017 08:00PM
deaner
Robert Culbertson

Thanks! I may be interested if I can't get my hands on a genuine piece sooner than later. You know what he'd want for it? I actually got word today from Mike @ Merkur Depot that his old style rep coolers were less efficient than the genuine 2wd ICs. I'm not going to be making heaps of power by any means but I'd like to get the best I can afford if something's gotta be replaced ya know?

Be careful..Remember the guy on the Mare-koooor forum who was making no-problem boost before, went to some set up like that, made maybe 5-6 psi, then with a helpful loan of a OEM 2wd made boost same as before..Single element change, the best comparison..
Careful..

Here's one at 20 squids
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sierra-2wd-cosworth-intercooler-/182635699123?hash=item2a85ef9bb3:g:WeMAAOSw8d5ZQvT-

Another at 45 squids or best offer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sierra-cosworth-2wd-Intercooler-/142406779307?hash=item21281b01ab:g:lS4AAOSwTM5Y6fuZ

Best Offer sounds good..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Mod Moderator

June 26, 2017 08:03PM
Yeah, the small outlets and crappy end-tank design on the Merkur Depot one is not the best.
The Cossie intercoolers are massively thick!
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 26, 2017 08:29PM
I hear you guys, I'm not too overly impressed with what I have in hand now. They aren't horrible quality pieces I guess but def some things I'd have done different, again...what the heck do I know though?

I'd much rather put a 2wd cosworth unit in and be done. I feel entirely out of my element as my entire background has been old crusty oooowwwwdeee stuff and I don't even know where to really start on value of parts for these things. My NPR repo can be had online for like $250 shipped. I reckon I outta make an eBay account and start bugging folks overseas about shipping stateside haha.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 27, 2017 06:43AM
deaner
dunhamr1

I def think this intercooler would do its job well by taking a good bite out of intake temps but just looking at it, it blocks the entire radiator(which is technically smaller than stock to begin with.). I just see massive cooling issues under full load for extended periods of time. What do I know though... Maybe setup a spray bar in front haha.

I've got a hogged out 120* upper intake to match the ported lower. Plumbings all taken care of regardless if I run this or a cosworth IC.

I started along around for Cossie 2wd intercooler and a guy in my city had one, great price. They're out there to be had.

And thanks on the answer for the upper, I ask selfishly trying to figure out what my own setup would look like.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 27, 2017 11:25AM
dunhamr1
deaner
dunhamr1

I started along around for Cossie 2wd intercooler and a guy in my city had one, great price. They're out there to be had.

And thanks on the answer for the upper, I ask selfishly trying to figure out what my own setup would look like.

That's convenient! Lucky, finding one local.... lol.

The rotated upper and plumbing I have came with the car. The PO was running a Holset and the same type of IC so I got pretty lucky, saves time anyhow. Plus the BOV flange and IAT bung is already there too for when I throw this megasquirt on. Me personally, I would have relocated the alternator and run a 90* upper, just because I think it looks cleaner. I like straight lines though lol. What's your plan?
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 27, 2017 01:21PM
deaner

The rotated upper and plumbing I have came with the car. The PO was running a Holset and the same type of IC so I got pretty lucky, saves time anyhow. Plus the BOV flange and IAT bung is already there too for when I throw this megasquirt on. Me personally, I would have relocated the alternator and run a 90* upper, just because I think it looks cleaner. I like straight lines though lol. What's your plan?

Thanks! Yeah, I was astounded that there was one so close. I guess that's Detroit though, lots of car folks. Bought a set of the stock spatula wheels from him too, to get rid of the mustang turbine wheels I had. Wrong offset and I didn't like the look.

Not sure yet. Saab 900 Radiator (all metal) that I got out of a junkyard car, just need to make a cradle for it. I'm going to wire in the fan switch that's in the Saab radiator too, since the sensor is missing in my system (PO replaced it with aftermarket water temp gauge sensor location). Cossie 2wd IC will fit above that, made easy if you use JVL's suggestion and cut the tabs off the top and flip them around.

For the intake, likely a 90* rotated upper and an alternator relocation, but haven't bit the bullet to try and think about doing that yet. So many other things to get settled before I go moving things around. I've got the 3 groove crank pulley which makes belt routing with the AC bracket relocated alt nice and simple (lucky me!).

I ponder about doing an "over the top" IC hose routing, assuming it would fit under the hood. What I mean by that is easy sloping bends (not hard 90* which you still have even with rotated upper on the turbo side) that would go out of the turbo and across the valve cover into the driver's side inlet, and from the passenger side outlet back over the VC to the TB. I may be dreaming though. I saw a picture of it once, but haven't been able to find it.

There's a lot of hooha out there about IC piping length and bends. Basically from what I've read, it seems that the effects are minimal in terms of piping length, but diameter and tight bends cause more pressure drop (and an IC with a lot of restriction, which the 2WD cossie does not).

More length would seem to be more area that could be heated up in the engine bay, somewhat hindering your goal of lower intake temps (the reason for using an IC in the first place). Except for the turn out of the turbo, using all the hooha, the 90deg rotated upper and a thick but not stacked IC (think: Cossie 2wd) seems to be the best solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 01:22PM by dunhamr1.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 27, 2017 03:38PM
dunhamr1
deaner

I ponder about doing an "over the top" IC hose routing, assuming it would fit under the hood. What I mean by that is easy sloping bends (not hard 90* which you still have even with rotated upper on the turbo side) that would go out of the turbo and across the valve cover into the driver's side inlet, and from the passenger side outlet back over the VC to the TB. I may be dreaming though. I saw a picture of it once, but haven't been able to find it.

There's a lot of hooha out there about IC piping length and bends. Basically from what I've read, it seems that the effects are minimal in terms of piping length, but diameter and tight bends cause more pressure drop (and an IC with a lot of restriction, which the 2WD cossie does not).

More length would seem to be more area that could be heated up in the engine bay, somewhat hindering your goal of lower intake temps (the reason for using an IC in the first place). Except for the turn out of the turbo, using all the hooha, the 90deg rotated upper and a thick but not stacked IC (think: Cossie 2wd) seems to be the best solution.

I guess I'm maybe not reading this right? Are you saying going from the turbo to the DS of the IC and then from the PS of the IC to the throttle body?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2017 03:47PM
Can't imagine anything simpler than this for 10 years ago

Simple. easy..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 27, 2017 04:03PM
Exactly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login