Posted by DanielSL 
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

LSD's for FWD, opinions.
February 03, 2018 05:24PM
I know that in the realm of Stage Rally, plate type diffs are the "go-to" and the best choice for all competitors. But is it better to put a helical diff in over having nothing at all, in the thought process of use in RallyCross, and Rally Sprints?

When I blew up the clutch at the last event of the season, I damaged the insides of the bell-housing, and the flywheel needs to be replaced as well. With less than 200 miles on the build, the shop owner, the head mechanic and I all feel that there was a faulty component somewhere in the package. As it was under competition use, of course nothing would be able to be looked at under warranty.

So while the transmission is being pulled to put the new clutch package and flywheel in, I have two options. Option 1 is to just do the clutch set-up with a new manufacturers product, and get right back to seat time. Option 2 is to wait out one event and throw in an OBX helical LSD which I can afford to do now on top of the clutch job.

I can wait until next season and do the plate type in the off-season. But I just cannot afford it this year after buying the OMP seats and brackets for this seasons events. With a plate style diff; my choice would be either the KAAZ or the 3J LSD. For a helical, I can afford to do the OBX right now, and it is a copy of the Quaife. The real Quaife is the same price as my two plate options, so it would not make sense to go that route.

If I did the helical now, it would also give me a complete spare set-up for when I move up to stage, as I can put the plate style in one of my spare transmissions. Then I could just swap out the entire thing next season, leaving the current one assembled and ready to use.

If the overall opinion would be to just wait and do the plate when I could afford it, I have to budget in the labor again as I would have to pull the transmission again next year for the lsd install.

I know to many forum members the R-X drivers are just "grass-o-cross" and not serious, but I was able to pull off 2nd in class last season, and am pushing hard to improve both myself and the car this season. We built my wife her own Audi TT in the off-season so she could go Stock AWD this season, and that allows me to do more to the GTI to make it more competitive in the future.

Much appreciated.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Vincent Gagnon
The same thing that I just wrote
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 240

Re: LSD's for FWD, opinions.
February 03, 2018 06:55PM
DanielSL
I know to many forum members the R-X drivers are just "grass-o-cross" and not serious, but I was able to pull off 2nd in class last season

Don't you think that the fact that a rookie with a stock car managed to be second proves that it's not serious competition?

Just a thought.

Ask for work.
If they don't give you work, ask for bread.
If they do not give you work or bread, then take bread.

- Emma Goldman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 06:57PM by Vincent Gagnon.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

February 04, 2018 05:25AM
Helical diff isn't very suitable for rally. You have to have both wheels on the ground for it to work. Bust an axle? No drive, dead in the water. Is it better than nothing? I suppose but I would still rather have a welded diff in a FWD car than a Torsen style. Save the money and hold out for the clutch LSD.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

February 04, 2018 06:48AM
Previous discussion on the following thread. (I've specifically linked to my post which has pics of the Kazz and also that Quaife took over the Tran X plate design so another plate option.
The $ to £ exchange rate due to mad UKexiteers may make it a viable option.

Also with photobucket being arsey these days there are now add-ons to Chrome and I heard Firefox too that allow you to see pics PB tried to hide.

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?5,46692,76045#msg-76045

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

February 04, 2018 08:57AM
Helical diffs are not limited slip. There is no mechanism to regulate the two output speeds. They do vary torque but they will happily allow the outputs to runat whatever speed they want.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

February 04, 2018 04:10PM
Doivi, Danster, and Pete. Thanks for the info. I'll hold off, put the funds into other upgrades, and do the Kaaz or the 3J lsd next season. Doesn't make sense if I cannot limp home if I break another halfshaft this year, like last season. One of my two DNF's was from a snapped axle, so I could of at least limped it home and gotten a time if I had a plate diff installed.

Last year may have been my rookie season, but the car was definitely not stock, running in Modified. Running either Michelin or DMack tires depending on surface conditions, with the Audi turbo motor and 5 speed 4.34 final drive gearbox, and the Hotbits rear suspension package.

For a rookie showing, there was still plenty of competition and in three of the ten events, I placed in the top ten overall; with a 6th out of 26, a 5th out of 28, and a 6th out of 28. In all three of those events, the only cars that beat me were the winner of MF overall, and the AWD cars. And I beat a good amount of AWD cars in every event I entered. The MF car that beat me each and every time also won FTD twice in those events, spanking everyone. I also had an 11th out of 21, a 11th out of 33, and an 8th out of 15. So I was pleased with the outcome of the rookie season for both the car and myself. The last thing I need to worry about is impressing some damned Canuck.

Pete, maybe you can make it down to Sebring in July for the divisional race.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

February 05, 2018 09:57PM
Us canucks don ice skates and go down hills... we're a hard bunch to impress.
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

February 09, 2018 10:01AM
The clutch pack limp home theory is over played. Personal experience is even with a KAAZ with extra shims you are going no where with a broken axle and the few others I know (with other brand diffs) have had similar experience. But the clutch packs work great otherwise.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

February 09, 2018 06:31PM
Understood. I am going to put that budget money into some maintenance items, as well as a proper roof scoop and lexan front door windows. Then, next season, I will do the proper Kaaz or 3J lsd. I appreciate all of the constructive feedback.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login