Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

Audi Parts
February 04, 2008 01:03PM
Hello All,

I have a 1990 Audi 90 that I picked up as a daily driver. I need to get myself an education on these cars. It is only fwd so no rally plans for it. I am looking for good source for replacement OEM parts. Does anyone have a recommendation? Are there some trouble parts on these cars that need to be inspected more than others?

I am also looking for some minor upgrade parts like shocks, springs, brakes, etc. Is there any updating back dating that can be done on these cars, to improve performance?

And one last question, is the quattro drive train swappable into a FWD shell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 01:05PM by Andrew_Frick.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

Re: Audi Parts
February 04, 2008 01:15PM
quattro is swappable into a fwd shell... if you have a full spare shell to start with... and a welder... and a LOT of time on your hands. The only one I've really seen done was actually an early 90's cabriolet modified to have a quattro drivetrain.

Big waste of money... buy the quattro if you want the AWD. Not worth the headaches and hundreds of hours of cutting, welding, and fabrication. (Oh... it's not just "bolt up"... floor pans need to swap, suspension mounts need to swap, strut bodies have to be modified to increase camber....)

As for info...
http://forums.audiworld.com/9080/

Figure out what you'd like to do to the car. Things aren't cheap, and aren't readily available either. Brakes are pretty good... put in some good fluid and a good set of pads. Suspension can go a couple different routes depending on what you're requirements are.

2.0L 4-cyl, or 2.3L 5-cyl (10v). I'm hoping you got a manual... but they weren't very common on the FWD models.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 04, 2008 01:33PM
Andrew_Frick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for good source for
> replacement OEM parts. Does anyone have a
> recommendation?

Salta Motorsports (www.saltamotorsports.com) is a Audi/VW service center run by rallyists. They can probably get you any OEM or OEM replacement parts at a discount, though I suppose once you add shipping there may not be as much savings.

Good luck. Audi's are like southern california girls. They look good and are probably fun to ride, but require more work and money than most of us would ever want to put into a girl(car).
I've was tempted more than once to build an Audi rally car, and despite the fact that I'd have had real financial help and free labor help to build the car, I've always made the right choice and not gone for it. I don't like to spend money on car stuff that aren't rally related so I don't even consider Audis for dailies. I love the URS6 Avants and URS4 though.

Grant Hughes
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 04, 2008 01:59PM
Ok, some more information on the car and what I expect. It is a manual with the 10v 5-cylinder motor. The plan is daily drive the thing since the body is rust free, the interior is in mint condition, and most of the systems work but are showing a little age. Mainly the suspension, brakes(lines have some dry rot and pads are worn), and motor mounts.

I agree with your Grant that I do not want to spend a lot of money on things that are not rally related. So expensive options are not the route I want to go.

Doug, what are the suspension recomendations for a street car, springs, and bilstien inserts? Or just just run stock springs and some cheapy KYBs? What about bushings? Top mounts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 02:00PM by Andrew_Frick.
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

February 04, 2008 02:18PM
Andrew_Frick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
>
> I have a 1990 Audi 90 that I picked up as a
> daily driver. I need to get myself an education
> on these cars. It is only fwd so no rally plans
> for it.

Heresy! I mean okay it's a heavy car, but still smiling smiley

>I am looking for good source for
> replacement OEM parts. Does anyone have a
> recommendation? Are there some trouble parts on
> these cars that need to be inspected more than
> others?

Have you tried on ohiovw.com? Some of the site sponsors are VW/Audi suppliers and they're mostly based in Columbus.

PS - When d'you want me to come down and liberate you of those tires and see why your RX-7 isn't running?

PPS - Yes, I *am* on damn near every forum... smiling smiley

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 02:20PM by Pete.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

February 04, 2008 02:25PM
Pete, I will check out ohiovw. I had completely forgotten about that forum since I sold my scirocco about 10 days after moving here.

And since I already own the focus I think that I only really need one fwd rally car at a time.

I am racing in Sandblast this coming weekend so sometime the following weekend, Feb. 16-17 would work for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2008 02:28PM by Andrew_Frick.
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

February 04, 2008 03:26PM
For suspension... lots have gone the Bilstein route; not really sure on the FWD cars. Best bet is to ask on Audiworld with regards to opinions on springs and shocks.

If you want good top-mounts, you need to get hold of a gentleman named Mance at VAP (Vintage Audi Performance). He has been responsible for designing a lot of items for the B3/B4 chassis, and took on the task of producing better mounts for these cars... uses OE Boge mounts with custom "mount savers" to prevent the mounts from collapsing. He has done YEARS of testing on these now. He's probably spent more time on it that Audi did. I've got his "pro-mounts" (OE mounts with urethane Mount Savers and spherical bearings)on the suspension that I built for the 90q rally beater... haven't driven on them though (car is sitting). They aren't cheap... but ask on Audiworld... Even brand new OE mounts (the best quality out there) won't last long... take an OE mount and add his "mount saver", and expect a huge increase in lifetime. I've had mountsavers on my DD 90q for 2 years now with no complaints. OE mounts typically last 6 months before they need to be replaced.

http://www.vintageaudiperformance.com/

turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

February 04, 2008 04:28PM
Andrew,
Talk to the quattrohaus guys who will be at Sandblast competing and running Hamptons car as well. Lots of audi info...

As for parts i order most my stuff from germanautoparts.com. Usually they have everything in stock and get it to me the next day.

Oscar
See you @sandblast

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

February 08, 2008 07:41AM
I want to take a look at this thing, if you don't mind. I was just offered a 90 quattro for a song. 5sp, and yes the 20v engine... it is so very tempting.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login