Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Help on 2007 logbooked car, will it pass tech?

Posted by Frank Gossett 
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Super Moderator

Help on 2007 logbooked car, will it pass tech?
April 12, 2018 02:28PM
Long time rally enthusiast/crosser/volunteer.

I am looking at the rabbit for sale in the classified on the other site and it was last run in 2007 with an RA logbook, which it still has. What will the cage need to pass tech now?

Info: all bars are 1.500 x 0.095 including main hoop. it does not have the additional A-pillar bars but does have the door X and sill bars, as well as the main hoop X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2018 02:56PM by Frank Gossett.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

Re: Help on 2007 logbooked car, will it pass tech?
April 12, 2018 03:20PM
Typically, log-booked cars are grandfathered in. I've run two of them and never "had" to change the cage. They may make suggestions but that doesn't mean you have to do it.

From the 2018 Rally America Rule book (page 34):

Existing rally vehicles with existing 2006 Rally America roll cages will
continue to be legal for the foreseeable future. The safety cage
standards that apply to these cars may be obtained from Rally America.
Contact tech@rally-america.com for more information.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
NGTD
Dave Cotie
Professional Moderator

April 14, 2018 08:56PM
Find a scruitineer and talk to them. Just because it was run in 2007, doesn't mean that it is compliant.

Main hoop at 1.5 is a deal killer in most cases.
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Super Moderator

April 15, 2018 04:07PM
Understood, and yes, i am worried about that as well. I like the car because the opening for the driver to get in is pretty large compared to newer cars.

The car is slow, light, and would probably be a good learner car until I get into something else.

Is there a scrutineer in NY?
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

April 19, 2018 12:14PM
Frank, here are some suggestions:

1. Don't go here to ask these types of questions, unless you like inconclusive opinions from unreliable resources (myself included)... No offense eh, but advice from a Canadian is probably not going to help you here.
2. Contact Rally America first. I think Mike Hurst is your best starting point. Don't talk to one from another sanction (yet).
3. See my post above. The rule book typically rules. It's a Rally America log booked car, the rule above says the cage is legal as long as it is accurate to the 2006 rule book. Confirm with Rally America.
4. Its probably a good car. However, Rabbit parts are getting hard to come by. Unless you have a good source for wear parts like suspension and body panels, take that into consideration.

Rally on.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 19, 2018 02:24PM
DG_Rally
Frank, here are some suggestions:

1. Don't go here to ask these types of questions, unless you like inconclusive opinions from unreliable resources (myself included)... No offense eh, but advice from a Canadian is probably not going to help you here.
2. Contact Rally America first. I think Mike Hurst is your best starting point. Don't talk to one from another sanction (yet).
3. See my post above. The rule book typically rules. It's a Rally America log booked car, the rule above says the cage is legal as long as it is accurate to the 2006 rule book. Confirm with Rally America.
4. Its probably a good car. However, Rabbit parts are getting hard to come by. Unless you have a good source for wear parts like suspension and body panels, grilles, windshields, doors, a dozen of so rear beams (the last guy I know really going good with good vigor was my dear friend Tom Buress and he said "I bend one or two rear beams per weekend...Now he really did go hard but what he did in 1 weekend, the normal guy will do in 3-or 4..) take that into consideration.

Rally on.

there's a reason we started calling the poor little things "Rare-bits" about 20 years ago..

The crazy man Van Damm up in da You Pee when he was visiting for a fun, long day, a year or so ago when i asked him why in the world he was in a Rare-bit he said 1) it's longbook and 100% rust free..(sat in a dry storage for 20 years) and 2) he has 3 more, all low miles , no rust..

And a MkIII sitting too.
Because of the rarity I suggested he sell 2 of the 3 for "Millions!!!!" and start casually cleaning the MkIII because the IIs and III are so much better platforms...They are capable of ---being prepped and driven correctly , of placings right behind the imported hired guns in the 2-3 billion dollar cars.
Or better. (of course with many of the same problems like bendy rear beams, hub and CV failures and increasing scarcity...on that you know we don't use a drop of salt here--luckily---but I can't remember when I saw a MkII on the road last time and MkIIIs are exactly an everyday thing either..)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Frank Gossett
Frank gossett
Super Moderator

April 20, 2018 06:35AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate your perspective on these cars. The poor seller won't like it but I think you are right.

PS - When will the site stop making me read the new member rules before showing me the forums?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login