Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Hella light pods retrofit to LED

Posted by rallyfreak202 
rallyfreak202
Mega Moderator

Hella light pods retrofit to LED
March 04, 2019 02:59PM
let's face it, classic light pods are awesome for looks but lack in the actual light output compared to LED lights/light bars. I'd like to retain the classic look of my roof mounted pods but replace the bulbs with LED. Does anyone know of a conversion/retrofit kit? Attached pic of said car. To be honest I don't know the model of the Hella lights in question.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - ESPR.jpg (54.6 KB)
ESPR.jpg
accentto
Professional Moderator

Re: Hella light pods retrofit to LED
March 28, 2019 06:56AM
One thing that we have come across here, in Europe, is a problem we found early on during snow effected rallies.

The LED's have little or no heat discharge from them, so snow simply builds up and the lights become ineffective. To that end, if there is ANY threat of snow, we still carry an old halogen set on the service van.

Not a massively important thing, but I do remember WRC works crews being caught out the first time that LEDs were used. And that was a Monte Carlo Rally !! ...… tat embarrassing.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: Hella light pods retrofit to LED
March 28, 2019 08:01PM
accentto
One thing that we have come across here, in Europe, is a problem we found early on during snow effected rallies.

The LED's have little or no heat discharge from them, so snow simply builds up and the lights become ineffective. To that end, if there is ANY threat of snow, we still carry an old halogen set on the service van.

Not a massively important thing, but I do remember WRC works crews being caught out the first time that LEDs were used. And that was a Monte Carlo Rally !! ...… tat embarrassing.

Wondered about that since the first time I saw a tractor-trailer with LED taillights in the US that I snuck up on fast in the snow at night. The LED taillights weren't melting the snow on the back of the trailer!

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login