Posted by Zach Gould 
Philippe Bellefleur
same as above
Elite Moderator

Re: BMW e36 vs Volvo 240
April 05, 2019 04:45PM
Not Trolling
Philippe Bellefleur
Well then keep up the good work, you'll get there some day!
Out of curiosity... where is 'there'?
'Cause Cluberro is definitely 'there' at most of the events within a reasonable distance from him either co-driving or crewing. (maybe even volunteering... gasp)

Pretty slow aren't we? since we talkin' bout a build ''there'' probably refers to finishing said build dipshit!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

April 09, 2019 09:44AM
Well, it looks like the bickering might have run off the OP. Either way if he's still checking this I'm also good friends with Justin Mason and the whole 515 crew. As soon as I get moved into my new house here in Kansas City I will be trying to track down a clean manual 240 to build into a full on rally car. My current 240 has been in the family too long to risk stuffing it on stage. The nice thing about the ARA rules is allowing novices to run a turbo (even with a restrictor) fixes the power issues with the Volvo's. The problem in the midwest is finding rust free cars, the salt takes a toll on them.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 10, 2019 05:54PM
Autoxgalant72
Well, it looks like the bickering might have run off the OP. Either way if he's still checking this I'm also good friends with Justin Mason and the whole 515 crew. As soon as I get moved into my new house here in Kansas City I will be trying to track down a clean manual 240 to build into a full on rally car. My current 240 has been in the family too long to risk stuffing it on stage. The nice thing about the ARA rules is allowing novices to run a turbo (even with a restrictor) fixes the power issues with the Volvo's. The problem in the midwest is finding rust free cars, the salt takes a toll on them.

No the kid is probably looking for a car..He seems to be mature enough to recognise the bullshitters who claim BMWs the hot shit (the BMWs that have done good in the country have all been E36 with the 3,0 or the slightly larger 96 version so that's what most people think of...the Cult-person makes references to the "Hintz" car and claims "BMWs" cost only a few hundred more that a PNW Volvo...when that is pointed out to be a ridiculous lie, so rediculous that it is simply bullshit, he comes back and says "I wuddn't talking about those"..Bullshit)

As for finding a rust free car: better spend time on a nice cruise down America fantastic hiways and drive up to the PNW and pick up a couple of $400 -800 cars, than spend years searching and discovering the pearl you got has rotten sills.....
Todays Craigslist finds:
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/hillsboro-volv0-240/6842401246.html

$500
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/troutdale-volvo-240-dl/6856684037.html

$800
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh baby a nice 2 door with round lights, the BEST!
https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/kennewick-76-volvo-242dl/6860681809.html

$1!!!

who has a double trailer? 2 cars for under $1000 + a little time on a road trip

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 10, 2019 06:01PM
On BaseFook Marketplace there's more

Tacoma..$575
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oregon
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2597034927036183/

$300
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's plenty...for $300-400 you can spend some gas money and be ahead.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

April 11, 2019 09:15AM
John, I get what you are saying, I thought my car was rust free and holy hell have the rear "frame rails" rotted through. Maybe time for strut towers? I'd love to buy a car in the PNW, but its not that realistic for me. Portland is 27 hours from me 1 way if I drove it straight through. I just can't justify taking 2 days off work to run up with a trailer and haul them back, especially for a car that might have started life in the midwest and I find out when I show up that its got the same rust issues as a car that I would find back home. There is always the option of flying out and driving a car back, but again being sight unseen that poses a huge risk. I've actually recently been looking at Florida cars, because its closer and I have a buddy out in Miami who would go screen cars for me.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

April 11, 2019 06:02PM
Autoxgalant72
I've actually recently been looking at Florida cars, because its closer and I have a buddy out in Miami who would go screen cars for me.

Florida, title-washing capital of the universe, and nearly surrounded by salt water.

I can't believe Miami to Shitsburg, Kansassistan is more than a six hour difference than Sleazattle.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

April 12, 2019 08:32AM
fiasco
Florida, title-washing capital of the universe, and nearly surrounded by salt water.

I can't believe Miami to Shitsburg, Kansassistan is more than a six hour difference than Sleazattle.

Its actually about 10 hours shorter, last time I drove it took 17 hours. The ability to have someone look at the car before I go buy it is also a huge plus for me, its really hard to risk $1000 or more on an unknown.
Rolling Blunder
Ryan Bouffioux
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Stuporu Turdocharged Grocery-getter

April 12, 2019 05:51PM
john vanlandingham
Oh baby a nice 2 door with round lights, the BEST!
https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/kennewick-76-volvo-242dl/6860681809.html

$1!!!

who has a double trailer? 2 cars for under $1000 + a little time on a road trip

If anyone is actually interested in that car, I'd be happy to check it out. I know exactly where it is, though I don't know the owner. Short-term parking at my place might be able to be worked out for you outta towners. Hell, if I didn't have so many assorted projects already, I'd pick it up.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 12, 2019 07:39PM
fiasco
Autoxgalant72
I've actually recently been looking at Florida cars, because its closer and I have a buddy out in Miami who would go screen cars for me.

Anything would be worth not having to go to Flar-duh and deal with Floridiots.
An ice-pick in the base of the skull would be better.

Ever notice that some of the true crazies here like the "from some angles the Dogde Vista micro-van looks like a Lancia Delta so I bought a Galant to pull the powertrain from for the Micro-van" guy and then there's the convicted child-prositute molester Mass-hole who needs 480HP and 13" discs for his "rally-cross racer"???

Those guys are at large on the streets...
Yikes.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
culberro
Ronald Culberbone III
Mod Moderator

April 12, 2019 08:44PM
john vanlandingham

No the kid is probably looking for a car..He seems to be mature enough to recognise the bullshitters who claim BMWs the hot shit (the BMWs that have done good in the country have all been E36 with the 3,0 or the slightly larger 96 version so that's what most people think of...the Cult-person makes references to the "Hintz" car and claims "BMWs" cost only a few hundred more that a PNW Volvo...when that is pointed out to be a ridiculous lie, so rediculous that it is simply bullshit, he comes back and says "I wuddn't talking about those"..Bullshit)

As for finding a rust free car: better spend time on a nice cruise down America fantastic hiways and drive up to the PNW and pick up a couple of $400 -800 cars, than spend years searching and discovering the pearl you got has rotten sills.....
Todays Craigslist finds:

I'm not sure if you're being obstinate, ignorant, or just trying really hard to lie about me and throw me under the bus.

I never, at any point, suggested an M3. I can't help your poor reading comprehension and your seemingly endless ability to be overcome with blinding rage when anyone suggests anything BUT A VOLVO. This "lie" that you keep mentioning was never said or implied, and is just a crutch you are using to deface me.
You can, in fact find manual e36 bmws for $1-2k with the larger 6-cyl. These engines make at a minimum 150hp and upwards of 190hp.

I merely suggest that the OP look into a e36, as it will offer more room to grow with less money invested as they progress as a driver. I implore you to look over my first 2 posts and think, ponder, and comment on each point that I make.
Remember that all of those points were made by someone who has daily driven Vovlo 240s for 12 years, with a slight break for an engine swap. I've sent more 240s to the crusher than you have ever owned. I am intimately familiar with these cars, in a way that you will never be.

Yes, the Hintz and Nelson BMWs are e36 m3s. The main (only?) difference between a e36 m3 and a 328 or 330 is the motor, diff, and brakes. The 325 and 328 still make 190hp completely stock. Last time I checked, that's about double what a Volvo 240 makes. The turbo Volvo motors will only make ~200hp until you replace anemic stock turbo. And at what cost?

Also, did you even look at those ads that you posted?
The '76 is going to have a fuel system and wiring system that will need to be completely replaced. It also has an automatic trans, non-vented brakes, and small front spindles. Which will all need to be changes out.

The '92 is an autotragic with 230k miles. Not a bad start, but will need a manual swap at the very least. The ECU system on that is also a dead end, as no one is making chips or tuning the lh3.1 ECUs. So plan on making ~130hp at the most before the ECU is the limitation.

The 89 and 87 are all autotragic cars with skinny rods in the '87, and a decent chance that the '89 is as well. The 87 will most likely need a new engine bay harness as it's in the era of degrading engine harnesses.
Autoxgalant72
Tim Ritter
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Bolbo 244

April 16, 2019 10:47AM
john vanlandingham

Anything would be worth not having to go to Flar-duh and deal with Floridiots.
An ice-pick in the base of the skull would be better.

Ever notice that some of the true crazies here like the "from some angles the Dogde Vista micro-van looks like a Lancia Delta so I bought a Galant to pull the powertrain from for the Micro-van" guy and then there's the convicted child-prositute molester Mass-hole who needs 480HP and 13" discs for his "rally-cross racer"???

Those guys are at large on the streets...
Yikes.

Its not any worse than where I'm at with LS swap mouth breathers in (name a rwd car) trying their best to out do Mercedes at the 1955 Le Mans.

There is a car in banjoland (Tennessee) that could be far enough south to have avoided the rust, its about 10 hours away. Been looking through Arkansas and areas south of me, but I guess Volvo didn't sell too many cars to people who's family tree is a wreath.

As for the Bolbo vs Bimmer thing, my good friends at 515 Motorsports have all the resources out there to build an E36 rally car and they chose a 240 instead. They road race the hell out of E36, but decided too costly to keep one running right in rally compared to what the Volvo offered.

I'll just throw out there that my stock 12b turbo with an MS3 controller made 240 whp on a proper eddy current dyno. With a nice Garrett and an intercooler it would make enough to kill the tire budget for a rally car in a hurry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login