john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Dana 30 Hydra-Lock for Volvo Rear Axles
January 07, 2011 11:15PM
alkun
Nope, but I've been thinking about getting of my ass and doing it...

Toy-lett-ah 8 Hinch.
Problemo solved.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Godlike Moderator

January 09, 2011 09:34PM
john vanlandingham
Who said it first?
"after the productive forces have also increased with the all-around development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth flow more abundantly -- only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

And then the Bolsheviks quickly changed it to 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his work" when they wrote the Soviet constitution; they well knew the tendencies of some humans to take rather than create......no matter what the system.

Oh yeah, good technical discussion too. Cheap limited slip = good. Seems like I read up on these about 2 years ago on some Jeep sites and they concensus was that these were kinda weak, but that was for rock crawling and such things, and probably with some added HP to boot. Can't say for a 150HP rally car on smooth gravel roads.

Mark B.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 10, 2011 01:56AM
starion887
john vanlandingham
Who said it first?
"after the productive forces have also increased with the all-around development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth flow more abundantly -- only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

And then the Bolsheviks quickly changed it to 'from each according to his ability, to each according to his work" when they wrote the Soviet constitution; they well knew the tendencies of some humans to take rather than create......no matter what the system.

Oh yeah, good technical discussion too. Cheap limited slip = good. Seems like I read up on these about 2 years ago on some Jeep sites and they concensus was that these were kinda weak, but that was for rock crawling and such things, and probably with some added HP to boot. Can't say for a 150HP rally car on smooth gravel roads.

Mark B.

Yeah events overtake theory. It's a historical imperaitive.
Now Toyota 8" axle has triumphed over and weenie Dana 30 thing. Bigger gears, bigger bearings, 31 spline vs 29, ring and pinion on different model trucks at 4,1 or 4,3 or 4.56 or even 4,88
Or NEW!!!! for $127-185

Zapp on a few ears and mod the flanges to what you need and away you go!
starion887
starion887
Godlike Moderator

January 10, 2011 07:56AM
That whole thought process was what led me to the Toyota 8"; checking this Dana axle was part of that process. BUT, 'twould be nice to have a drop in limited slip for the Volvo so one does not have to weld new spring perches, etc.

Now, if I could just get myself restarted on that Opel project...

Mark B.
Smitty
Michael H. Smith
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab

January 31, 2011 09:41PM
Interesting Dif, I'm interested in other application. Any way I could get some dimensions? John Vanlandingham turned me on to this thread. I need to make an LSD for my SAAB 900 Turbo. Thanks
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

February 01, 2011 08:57AM
Sure, what dimensions do you need?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 01, 2011 10:00AM
Tim Taylor
bearing to flange, body dia, ring gear PCD, ring gear flange to other bearing.
spline major dia.

Thanks Tim.
Smitty
Michael H. Smith
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab

February 06, 2011 11:17AM
Yes, I'd like complete blueprints , but that's a lot to ask. Just a ballpark figure on the body dia. and length from the ring gear flange would tell me if its possible to fit it in this transaxle. Anything you could give me would be a big help. Thanks, Smitty
fidel
lawrence knox
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

June 12, 2013 03:53PM
Tim Taylor

was the width from bearing flange to bearing flange the same as a dana 30 carrier 3.73+ ?

i saw mentions on some jeeep forums that the ring and pinion for the later jeep dana 30 has a larger ring and pinion , crossing my finers they used the volvo 1031 gear sizes, then i can have the bigger R&P with a gear from 4.27-5.88 without having to send a $1k to sweden, or swap axles ( i know, iknow john toyota is were its at)

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

June 12, 2013 06:52PM
Damn...a zombie thread. Never measured it but when I put it into the back of the lemons car I had to hard turn about 0.080" off the back face to make it work. That was a mid '90's Dana 30 reverse-cut housing from a Jeep Cherokee. That was a few years ago and my memory is fuzzy on the details.
fidel
lawrence knox
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

June 14, 2013 07:14PM
Tim Taylor
Damn...a zombie thread. Never measured it but when I put it into the back of the lemons car I had to hard turn about 0.080" off the back face to make it work. That was a mid '90's Dana 30 reverse-cut housing from a Jeep Cherokee. That was a few years ago and my memory is fuzzy on the details.

ok, cool only 0.08" ish, depending on the housings and R&P combo might be able to do a little less .

the big question is how was the feel and function, did it just act like a locker (on/off or annoying) or was it more progresive like a salsbary/ ramp/yataya, LSD.

yeh i reserected the thread, beacause i have to hustle to do a trans swap in my DD , and i realy only want to swap rears once for a while ( 3.31 and 2.95 1st = bad juju, engine only 135ftlbs on the chassis dyno). i have a 3.91 open, not enough multiplicaton (for me), , 4.10 open do able, a high preload truetrack NIB, dont like the lift wheel aspeactes of them ( should put in my wifes 144). F an eaton G80 (most incosintent BS i've ever delt with) . my preference would be get a 4.27 R&P , try one of these diffs (if it was worth a shit) , and call it done( or play with the pressure relife) till i get in some ramp type LSDs and can justify one for a daily.

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
alkun
Albert Kun
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 15, 2013 02:13AM
That diff seemed to work great when I tried it, especially as its in a 150 hp, 1700lb car with a sub 80 inch wheelbase, in the pouring rain...
Tim Taylor
Tim Taylor
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazda 323 GTX

June 15, 2013 11:34AM
In the junkyard fresh state we put it in the car the Hydra-Lock was not agressive at all. It didn't have any quirks other than feeling much more like an open diff than we really wanted on a road racing car. I'm guessing it could use a fresh set of clutch plates and some static preload. It's out of the car now because the Z600 is getting an IRS suspension. So I'll swing you a deal on mine if you really want to try it...say $150 shipped to you. Forget that, I just looked at it and it's the 3.73 and below carrier size.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2013 12:56PM by Tim Taylor.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login