alkun
Albert Kun
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Hey JVL, T-5 recipe?
July 16, 2008 12:11PM
Hey John,

I'm paid up so now feel justified asking more questions. I got a T5, looking to round up the gears and stuff for when its rebuilt. I know all the gear charts are posted here, but I am lazy. So lazy, just tell me what to get are where to get it. Pretty please.

I have a few bellhousings, so we can get to that someday.

-Al
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Hey JVL, T-5 recipe?
July 16, 2008 12:29PM
2.95 first gear set.
Two options, buy the gearset and a rebuild kit and whatever else from somewhere like Hanlon.
What's your T5 out of? There should be a metal tag on the rear case to main case bolt that has the id number. It's usually something like 1352-202.
Not sure about Vulva specific installation, but there's about 250 different options on the T5. Different length input shafts, spline counts, pilot bearing diameters, etc. The GM ones have the right gear ratios and the shifter is further back on the tail housing, but introduces a few issues with the XR that you'd probably not have to concern yourself with on a 240. I think that what Kevin used in his car anyhow.
PS> Search for the T5 identification chart thread. There's some good links in there.

Grant Hughes
mothra
Matt Smith
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

July 16, 2008 01:52PM

looks like gear sets can be had for not to much dough. Assuming the quality is there.

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/3819132/3532263.htm

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 16, 2008 03:53PM
Yup. It's about $300 or so most places. I'd recommend the steel bearing retainer instead of the stock aluminum ones. I trashed my aluminum one in very little time.
The best two options are to either buy a core box, gear set, and rebuild kit or to just buy the z-spec gearbox. they're usually around $1000 to 1200, but sometimes you can find used or recently rebuilt ones for cheaper. I got mine for $650 shipped recently rebuilt.

Grant Hughes
starion887
starion887
Mega Moderator

July 16, 2008 04:09PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
The GM ones have
> the right gear ratios

The Camaro/Firebird T5's have the 2.95 1st gear, not the ones from S-10 or Astro vans. Avoid those for rally, unless you want to pull stumps.....

Mark B.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login