Posted by turoc 
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

14 inch studded snow tires?
October 27, 2008 07:13PM
Now that it looks like Team O Neal rally is part of the ARC What we you guys suggest to use as studded tires for the event? Will studded tires handle OK if there was no ice? Should i run something reaaallly narrow like 165s?

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

Re: 14 inch studded snow tires?
October 28, 2008 09:43AM
Well, if there's no ice, then there is probably deep snow or a packed base... so a good open snow tire would help. In that case, narrower is better. But too tall/narrow and you'll get a lot of sidewall flex and possibly have problems popping of the bead.

What brands are you looking at? If given the option to stud, I'd do it. Ya, you might end up tossing some studs if you're digging into a gravel base, but at that point, who cares. If it looks like it might start out as hard-pack and become ice throughout the day, you might want two sets of tires... one to abuse early on, and one to run later with fresh studs and sharp edges.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

October 28, 2008 11:35AM
I was actually currious about this. I'm not going to be running O'Neil, but still looking at running Sno*Drift. I got an '88 VW GTI and I was trying to figure out what I should run on the stock wheels. I've seen 185/65/14 just for the extra sidewall from stock 185/60/14. But is it better to go with something like a 175? or 165? I'm looking for an overall tire, and don't really have the budget to bring every combination. I know the general idea is to have a narrower tire in the winter so you "bite" down through the snow to the stuff you can grip.

As for tires, I was pretty set on the Winterforce tires but running them without studs. They look to be good open tread blocks and tread design. And at $50 a pop you can't really go wrong.
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

October 28, 2008 01:46PM
For sno drift get 185, I prefer 65 sidewall with tubes in the tires. I havnt had a flat in 3 sno drifts with that setup. Blizzaks are the way to go. By the time you'll get there the roads will be very polished, so a good ice tire is whats needed. The winterforces are decent in powdery stuff, but blizzaks will kill them on ice. Some people like hakka rsi's, but blizzaks are cheaper so thats what I use. I just picked up a set this summer for $34 a tire on closeout from tire rack.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

October 28, 2008 02:02PM
Yeah my co-driver works for Continental so he might be able to hook me up with some tires. But if that falls through I gotta keep my options open on. I was planning on running tubes as well since my amazement with them holding air in tires that shouldn't at LSPR makes me a believer.
C LePoudre
C LePoudre
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
G2 VW Golf

October 28, 2008 06:09PM
Kumho kw19 tires have been good to me, studded with #13 studs. Tried goodyear, 2 flats on 2 stages. I've hit rocks big enough to bent the rim with the Kumhos and not had the tire go flat.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

October 28, 2008 10:23PM
Hankook I-pike 409 is a good studdable tire. Just put the stud size listed on the sidewall in them.

Chris
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

November 27, 2008 11:48AM
Now the debate is between blizzaks or Hankook Ipikes. Will most likely run with tubes in either one. (That is if I can find any!)

rally gods would turn in their graves if they ever knew Lada's were now part of EU rallying!!!
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

November 27, 2008 01:58PM
You know the grip that Blizzaks will give you...basically consistantly good.

The problem is with studded tires, if they are not glued in, and you dont' drive with an egg under the gas you will spit studs.

Chris
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 27, 2008 03:59PM
turoc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now that it looks like Team O Neal rally is part
> of the ARC What we you guys suggest to use as
> studded tires for the event? Will studded tires
> handle OK if there was no ice? Should i run
> something reaaallly narrow like 165s?

That ain't really Narrow! 145s is narrow!
First thing I did at Swedish rally when I went in 1993 was look at tires.
Everybody in the big heavy powerful cars were on 14/65 x 15 or 16 so thats 140mm at tread contact. The casing is wider but looked no wider than 165.
It's about the footprint. In snow the grip comes from the voids and sharp edges, turn in from the square shoulders, resistance to going sideways from that footprint like this---> [] with forward being ^. On ice the grip is from the studs.
The opposite is true with lots of grip when we want no voids and a wide footprint like this----> ===.
165 would be the best you could get.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

November 27, 2008 08:38PM
You are right but i havent seen anything narrower than 165s in the US at least for 14 inchers

Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

November 27, 2008 08:54PM
Don't get all hung up on sizing. Run the size that is recommended for the car on the door jam (probably a 175 or so).

On my Subaru my prefered winter size is 185/65-15's....

The super narrow tires that john describes are for biting through the snow and getting to the ice so the studs can do their work.

Running a "rubber" or even "street studded" tire is a completely different kettle of fish.

Don't sweat over sizing, tire brands, studded or studless, etc.

I have to assume this is your first winter rally?

you have ALOT or worry about and learn before any of this will never make a difference, and i mean this with absolutely NO disrespect.

I've been seriously involved in ice racing since i was 12, and driving since i was 16, won several championships.

I can pass on some knowledge, but the best thing i can tell you is driving in winter conditions is like an art, an art that is only learned through trail and error, and practice practice practice.

Buy some good quality tires...you choose if you want Studded or Non. If you want studded, i can put you in contact with a guy up here (toronto) who studds the Hankooks for our ice race series. He has a VERY good system in place now, so the studs will stay in place (primers, glues, curing, etc). Running these studs is good fun. I don't know if he can ship them etc.

Blizzaks are a good tire, and you CAN make them better..but you don't want to get into that...

But whatever is available, and fits your budget. Drive within your limits, and learn alot, and most importantly, have fun!

Chris
turoc
Ozgur Simsek
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
working on a Veedub

November 27, 2008 09:06PM
Thanks for all the info Chris!
I am considering doing some ice racing events this year in the finger lakes region so I am leaning towards studded Hankooks.

Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

November 27, 2008 09:15PM
check the rules on the studded tires.

i think those guys up there run a "spec" blizzaks series...

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login