Rally Car:
Nada

Re: What rearend do I want?
November 24, 2010 04:11PM
Pete
mellow65

rearend-killing 13B torque

now that's just funny right there. rotary with torque. ha

i'm going a different route then rotary, WAY different.

The (best) one I threw together this year was good for something like 170ft-lb peak, and it was a very, very broad torque curve. Max power was about 200hp at 6800. Awesome rallycross motor.

yeah i know you can build them to make some good power. they are just such a voodoo art to me. how they make a spiral graph give you power is just beyond me. smiling smiley

not really i get how they work, they just are a crazy beast. i'm going piston motor with mine, i know all sacrilegious, but light weight ubber reliable 4 bangers is where the fun is for me. no high strung about to tare it's self apart motors for me.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

November 24, 2010 04:45PM
Mind you, I think I'm on number five for the year. They don't tolerate heat very much. Or dust. Or overrevving.

So I go out where it's really hot and dusty and I rev the piss out of them...
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

November 24, 2010 04:53PM
Pete
Mind you, I think I'm on number five for the year. They don't tolerate heat very much. Or dust. Or overrevving.

So I go out where it's really hot and dusty and I rev the piss out of them...

hence my wanting to go a different path smiling smiley

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 24, 2010 05:04PM
Pete

and like JVL said, depending on options you can find up to 4.88 factory. i got mine from an auto and ended up with 4.30, which should work good for what i'm doing.

one more reason to get the v6 third members was the side bearings were larger and because of that you can do a supra LSD swap pretty easy. the 4cyl and v6 both fit in any 8" housing too, just as an fyi.

rearend-killing 13B torque

now that's just funny right there. rotary with torque. ha

Considering the tach shows geared UP speed not rotor speed, the torque they make at low ROTOR speeds is pretty impressive
What's the gearing? 3 times so rotors going 1/3 what the tack shows...
Pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 12:17PM by john vanlandingham.
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

November 25, 2010 10:14AM
Pete
So I need to hunt down a V6 two-by.

Or a 22R-powered 4-speed 2wd, which were way more common than V6's. They also have the 5-lug 8" rear diffs, but they're 2-pinion instead of 4-pinions. No biggie if you're sticking in an LSD anyway.

Bob
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

November 25, 2010 01:11PM
Ascona73
Pete
So I need to hunt down a V6 two-by.

Or a 22R-powered 4-speed 2wd, which were way more common than V6's. They also have the 5-lug 8" rear diffs, but they're 2-pinion instead of 4-pinions. No biggie if you're sticking in an LSD anyway.

Bob

from all my searching around i never found a 8" in a 2wd truck other then behind the v6s. i did read some random blips about the once in a while fluke of the older 2wd 4 cyl trucks getting a 8" verses a 7.5". maybe with a suspension package or something.

but if it's truly a 4 cyl 3rd member then the supra LSD swap doesn't work. the v6s had a larger carrier bearings than the 4cyl diff. so the bearing combo that you need wont work. to do it right you use a fat supra bearing on one side and a skinny truck bearing on the other. makes the back lash adjuster fit better on one side.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/supralsd3.htm

RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

November 26, 2010 12:21AM
Some reference info: http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

November 26, 2010 11:50AM
mellow65
from all my searching around i never found a 8" in a 2wd truck other then behind the v6s. i did read some random blips about the once in a while fluke of the older 2wd 4 cyl trucks getting a 8" verses a 7.5". maybe with a suspension package or something.

I got three of the 2wd 8" rears out of a wrecking yard, all 22R-powered 4-speed trucks. I got a 7.5" rear out of a 5-speed 22R powered truck on the same day. I noticed that all the 4-speed trucks were 'stripper' models with no power steering and vinyl seats/etc. My father's company had three 22R-powered Toyota trucks ('87's and '88's), and the same thing seemed to hold true....4 speeds had the 8", while 5-speeds had the 7.5".

My own '87 5-speed had power steering and the 7.5" rear axle. I broke that axle thanks to the roll-pin shearing (might have been from the supercharger!) and the cross-shaft slipping out and wiping the ring gear out. I put an 8" rear axle into that truck afterwards (custom length driveshaft required). Never had an issue with that axle...
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

November 26, 2010 12:07PM
Ascona73
mellow65

I got three of the 2wd 8" rears out of a wrecking yard, all 22R-powered 4-speed trucks. I got a 7.5" rear out of a 5-speed 22R powered truck on the same day. I noticed that all the 4-speed trucks were 'stripper' models with no power steering and vinyl seats/etc. My father's company had three 22R-powered Toyota trucks ('87's and '88's), and the same thing seemed to hold true....4 speeds had the 8", while 5-speeds had the 7.5".

My own '87 5-speed had power steering and the 7.5" rear axle. I broke that axle thanks to the roll-pin shearing (might have been from the supercharger!) and the cross-shaft slipping out and wiping the ring gear out. I put an 8" rear axle into that truck afterwards (custom length driveshaft required). Never had an issue with that axle...

crazy, learn something new every day.

although i can tell you from crap i have sitting in my garage that from a sameish year 2wd and 4x4 8" the 4x4 is still wider. and the main reason i had to go with it for my project. the 2wd was to narrow for my brackets to fit and still get some bolts to hold the axles in.

Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

November 26, 2010 12:40PM
RallyTaco

Kick. Ass.

'86-95 is within 1/4" of the right width assuming 2wd and 4wd are the same widths.

Thanks Chris!
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

November 26, 2010 12:44PM
Pete
RallyTaco

Kick. Ass.

'86-95 is within 1/4" of the right width assuming 2wd and 4wd are the same widths.

Thanks Chris!

man apparently people totally missed me posting that on page one, and take a look one post up from yours about the 2wd/4x4=not the same width.

Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

November 26, 2010 01:37PM
mellow65

man apparently people totally missed me posting that on page one, and take a look one post up from yours about the 2wd/4x4=not the same width.

I still don't see it... i see stuff about 1st generation / 2nd generation (isn't that stuff from the 1950s?) and I don't really know Toyotas too much so this makes no sense to me. Too many 2-stroke fumes or something. "Find a pre -'95 V6 two-by", that's something I can wrap my head around.

I found one only 170 miles from me for something like $125, might pick it up next month if it's still around. I had some bids going on eBay that I forgot about. On the plus side, I have a sidedraft manifold for a VW 8v now, and some nice 48mm throttle bodies to go with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 01:38PM by Pete.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 26, 2010 02:00PM
Pete
I have a sidedraft manifold for a VW 8v now, and some nice 48mm throttle bodies to go with it.

HHHhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm. Sound like the foundation for some funsies!
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

November 26, 2010 02:09PM
john vanlandingham
Pete
I have a sidedraft manifold for a VW 8v now, and some nice 48mm throttle bodies to go with it.

HHHhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm. Sound like the foundation for some funsies!

Should be fun with those 13:1 pistons I picked up earlier this month. Cam selection comes next.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

November 26, 2010 02:10PM
mellow65
although i can tell you from crap i have sitting in my garage that from a same-ish year 2wd and 4x4 8" the 4x4 is still wider. and the main reason i had to go with it for my project. the 2wd was to narrow for my brackets to fit and still get some bolts to hold the axles in.

the 2wd axles are not the same width as the 4x4.

the 2wd are about 1.75-2" narrower from what i have found. both the 2wd and 4x4 were from the same early 90s that i measured.

it may not seem like much, but it was the difference of working or not for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login