Posted by SteelSolutions 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Totally Tubular Honda part
May 27, 2011 11:15AM

So I don't think the original reason for going with this tubular subframe ever got mentioned. We were have issues with deformation of the rear motor mount. The engine was moving hard enough to rip the sheet metal on the subframe under the rear engine mount. When purchased the car had solid engine mounts. After trashing the mounts and brackets once we reinforced the brackets and went with poly for the mounts. This made things better and got us through the last 3 or 4 rallies but we had rear mount failure and a torn subframe at OTR.

Hope this cures it once and for all and also brings the possibility of the solid mounts back into the picture

I'd keep the poly if there was any way to do that.

Huge thanks to William and Sean, two great NW rally folk, for getting all this done on a huge time crunch.

Yes, I think we're lucky here in the PNW with the skills set we have readily available.
Got the car back?
(If so good! Time for some Volvo and Xratty work for those boys!)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2011 10:38AM by john vanlandingham.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

May 28, 2011 01:05AM
I think if it fails again, it will break the bolts. They are currently drilled and safety wired. I installed 88 durometer poly inserts this time, the 66 d ones failed. The trans mount bracket at the passenger side frame rail was making solid contact with the frame bracket with no insert failure. I notched the mount bracket for clearance.

It has been a long week for sure. Apart from working my regular job, I have put in nearly 40 hours into the Honda since it arrived. LOTS of things to fix/repair.
krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

May 30, 2011 01:44PM
That is really strange... we've never had a problem with motor mounts or subframes tearing... I'm wondering what the root cause is.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

August 11, 2015 09:41AM
Reviving a dead thread, but just came across this. 8lb EG (K series compatible) tubular subframe.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.569920173089525.1073741836.179072448840968&type=3#!/media/set/?set=a.569920173089525.1073741836.179072448840968&type=3

Probably built for drag racing due to extreme lack of support. For rally I'd still like some more triangulation and I see no rear mounts for the lower control arms, no sway bar mounts, that engine mount is very minimal as well.

When I was at the West Michigan Honda Meet a few weeks ago, I had a discussion with the owner of Hasport about subframe construction and rally builds. But for the most part he said that subframe builds do get driven from the drag guys as the premiere Honda racing (Honda Challenge) does not allow tubular sub-frame or suspension components, so nobody really cares about fabricating them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login