Posted by mellow65 
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

Another RWD motor option, if you can make it fit. smiling smiley
July 26, 2011 10:47PM
Well lady’s and germs, after almost a year and a half of waiting, my long awaited bell housing is done. I “met” a nice old man that just happens to like to do aluminum casting and his specialties is bell housings. He calls it his relaxing time. He’s been playing with the 4g63 motors for years and making all sorts of RWD bell housings for them. I happened to stumble across him and after much whining and pleading and promising to send him whatever parts he needed, he agreed to give it a look and see if it could be done. So a chopped up Subaru transmission, grabbed a fly wheel and a bunch of other clutch parts and threw it in a box and shipped almost to the other side of the country. And they fell in the very capable hands of Bill. Bill worked his magic and turned out something many Subaru guys have been dreaming about for years, a way of using a RWD transmission with a EJ motor.

So you may have some questions, well here are some answers.

Bell housing you say, for what?

To mate any EJ/EG/EZ Subaru motor to either a W55-59 or R150-151 Toyota transmission.

But why would anyone want to do that?

Because up until now, there was no real option to mate an EJ motor to a true RWD transmission. You always had to make do with welding the center diff and hope for the best. And if you were to go that route and happen to see the gears that would now be responsible for all of the power going to the rear, you would be a little scared.

Or if you are like me and maybe you want to run a Subaru motor in a different car other then a Subaru.

Or maybe you just want to stop blowing up your transmissions when you drift your Subaru.

Or maybe you want to make a buggy and use the 4x4 transmission from the toyota and a great motor.

Or...….

What about the parts list? I bet it’s quite the exotic list of parts.

Actually everything you need is going to be able to be found at pretty much any parts store.

Subaru:
NA flywheel
NA starter
NA pressure plate
pilot bearing
NA hydraulic clutch fork and slave cylinder

Toyota:
transmission
clutch disc

Ok, so I’m interested, what does this bad boy cost? Am I going to have to sell my wife? I’m not against that just fyi.
winking smiley

Nope your wife can stay, sorry. The whole shebang will set you back $425 plus shipping.

So, is this a bolt in kit to my Subaru?

No, this is not a bolt in kit to a Subaru. Let me repeat myself one more time, NO, THIS IS NOT A BOLT IN KIT FOR A SUBARU. This is just the magic key that will allow you to bolt your EJ motor to a RWD transmission. The rest will be up to you. I’m sure a kit could be made, but this was not the intent of making this bell housing.

Ok fine, it’s not a bolt in, I get that, but what about a shifter relocation at least?

This is being worked on as we speak. When you call and talk to Bill about the bell housing, ask about the relocater too. He’s been working on making the transmission a cable style shifter. If you don’t like what he’s got going on for that, once again, you will be on your own for a shifter.

So is there a build thread somewhere that I can see it from the beginning to it's final project?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=111709

Any sweet pics?

Of course. grinning smiley

Well I want one, how do I get one?

Here is a copy of a post from Bill.

the kit runs $425.00 that includes the housing , throw out bearing and throw out bearing collar plus shipping

I need to know what trans you intend to use before I can cut the housing, it can use either the W 55/59 Toyota trans in either 2wd or 4wd or it can use the R 151 & 150 Toyota trans in either 4wd or 2wd

They will all be machined to use the 8 bolt engine bolt pattern

japaneseauto1978@yahoo.com
Bill
419 367 1758 cell

All things aside, I ran this by Bill and he is fine with me spreading the word about this bell housing. He doesn't do tons with actually trying to sell his stuff, sadly, because he really makes pieces of art. It's all pretty much word of mouth.

So there you go, maybe this will get some wheels turning on some sort of project you needed a motor for. I know it finally gets me moving towards what my goal with it was.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 10:53AM by mellow65.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: Another RWD motor option, if you can make it fit. smiling smiley
July 26, 2011 10:52PM
Wow thats cool,

Maybe I'll put a subie motor in the volvo. Hows that for heresy?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 26, 2011 11:20PM
Oh kinda cool I uess, but I thought all that mill work I did on a Subie trans case to mate up a T5 was smrat cause of the availability of alternate affordable gearsets was cool beans.

This is cool.

Be cooler if we could do a good bellhousing for a good motor: Duratec
And for like 250-275,

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 27, 2011 12:15AM
john vanlandingham
Oh kinda cool I uess, but I thought all that mill work I did on a Subie trans case to mate up a T5 was smrat cause of the availability of alternate affordable gearsets was cool beans.

weird how i missed that, oh well, i'm fairly sure my transmission will have gears in it, so i probably wont need others. and well the fact that trannys run like 50 bucks, hard to really need anything else

This is cool.

Be cooler if we could do a good bellhousing for a good motor: Duratec
And for like 250-275,

well then, no ones stopping you, go forth and cast away.

i'll take a subaru over a duratec any day of the week.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
Ratfink
Daniel Llewellyn
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
I ride shotty in a huge truck

July 27, 2011 08:13AM
mellow65

I just threw up in my mouth a little...
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

July 27, 2011 10:01AM
So your putting a Subaru motor with a Toyota trans in an RX-7 chassis. Interesting choice.

What makes these transmissions the one that was chosen? What did they come in? Are there alternate ratio gear sets available? Just curious why it was picked.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 27, 2011 10:12AM
Andrew_Frick
So your putting a Subaru motor with a Toyota trans in an RX-7 chassis. Interesting choice.

What makes these transmissions the one that was chosen? What did they come in? Are there alternate ratio gear sets available? Just curious why it was picked.

Can't begin to guess why anybody would use the big Toiletta trans: no alternate ratios, and stock ratios are crap,
hugely heavy trans, very long and bulky.

Only advantages I see is: A) separable bellhousing. cool smiley stoooopid strong

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 27, 2011 10:20AM
mellow65

Huh?
Who, what where when how---and why?

Both need some similar things to be really worthwhile engines for sustained beating such as rods and pistons.. so that's a wash...but
but

but

but,
I'm curious, 'splain me why? Bizarre shape, weak crank, MAIN bearings half the width of some nicer cars rod bearings, bizarre manifolding due to bizarre shape of motor making for extremely limited packaging options...

But I like your bellhousing, prettier than the T5 one that we were carving up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 27, 2011 10:56AM
Andrew_Frick

the reason he went with that is because it fit the most broad customer market. I had to sell it to this guy as a way for guys to use a subaru motor in say a buggy. The toyota 4x4 trans uses the same removable bell housing as the 2wd model.

there are different ratios available depending what you get them from. but here's a list of where you can get the W trannys from

1982-1986 Toyota MK 2 Celica Supra
1986-1992 Toyota MK 3 non-turbo Supra
1993-1998 Toyota MK 4 non-turbo Supra
1986 Toyota Cressida
1992-1997 Lexus SC300
1998-2005 Lexus IS300 5 speed

1981-1985 Toyota Celica
1984-1988 Toyota Pickup 2WD with 22RE(EFI) engine

Toyota Tacoma

mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 27, 2011 10:59AM
john vanlandingham
Can't begin to guess why anybody would use the big Toiletta trans: no alternate ratios,
wrong

and stock ratios are crap,
wrong

and wrong

Only advantages I see is: A) separable bellhousing. cool smiley stoooopid strong

well at least you got two things right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2011 11:00AM by mellow65.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 27, 2011 11:05AM
mellow65
john vanlandingham
Can't begin to guess why anybody would use the big Toiletta trans: no alternate ratios,
wrong

wrong

and wrong

Other crap ratios or some ultra rare, ultra insanely expensive TODA or Gekki or yechi or whatever gearset doesn't count.

Stock ratios ARE crap, sorry.
They're NICE for a 3600lb car to start from a stop.
Anything shorter than 3:1 is too short to allow any shorter axle ratio than maybe at absolute most 4.56

The mid 3s 3.5 ish thing is crap.

It IS huge, and heavy.

Rather than wrong wrong wrong! why not data data data.?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 27, 2011 11:09AM
john vanlandingham
Huh?
Who, what where when how---and why?

Both need some similar things to be really worthwhile engines for sustained beating such as rods and pistons.. so that's a wash...but
but

but

but,
I'm curious, 'splain me why? Bizarre shape, weak crank, MAIN bearings half the width of some nicer cars rod bearings, bizarre manifolding due to bizarre shape of motor making for extremely limited packaging options...

But I like your bellhousing, prettier than the T5 one that we were carving up.

from what i see the crank isn't the weak spot in high boost apps, it's the block, but keep it NA and really all you have to do is keep oil and water in it and they will last you a 400k miles. i wont give that same statement to the newer motors, but i'm not running the a newer motor.

and why not, i get whole running cars for $300-400, sell and scrap some stuff i'm in a motor nothing.

it's what you like, you like your fords, i like my subarus and i don't flame for any ones choices in life. but out of the box reliability and over all being able to beat the snot out of the motor i will still give to the subaru. not unless you can show me several 200+k mileage duratec that are given to stupid teenagers as first cars that proceed to dive it like they are in a video game and still run and start and drive just fine, well then i will be a believer in the duratec.

mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 27, 2011 11:34AM
john vanlandingham
mellow65
john vanlandingham
wrong

wrong

and wrong

Other crap ratios or some ultra rare, ultra insanely expensive TODA or Gekki or yechi or whatever gearset doesn't count.

Stock ratios ARE crap, sorry.
They're NICE for a 3600lb car to start from a stop.
Anything shorter than 3:1 is too short to allow any shorter axle ratio than maybe at absolute most 4.56

The mid 3s 3.5 ish thing is crap.

It IS huge, and heavy.

Rather than wrong wrong wrong! why not data data data.?

w55
First Gear: 3.566:1
Second Gear: 2.056:1
Third Gear: 1.384:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

W58
First Gear: 3.285:1
Second Gear: 1.894:1
Third Gear: 1.275:1
Fifth Gear: 0.783:1

w59 (will admit this is tree stump pulling 1st)
First Gear: 3.954:1
Second Gear: 2.141:1
Third Gear: 1.275:1
Fifth Gear: 0.85:1

WRX

Forester

w58 sitting next to a subaru trans

and my back will contest that the trans is lighter then a subaru trans.

and before you start saying, don't compare it to a subaru trans, you have to, because there is no other RWD option.

this was meant to give an option for someone that didn't want to run a welded center diff. and fine, you may be making a one off subaru to T5, but that isn't going to cover most people. as far as i know there isn't a 4x4 option for the T5. (really i don't know if there is)

also most of us, probably don't want to tear into a T5 and have to replace everything to make them work. I don't have the money for fancy gear sets or dog box or what ever as i'm sure most dont either.

so yes it's great there is options for the T5, how many people actually take full advantage of what is available for the T5. And really at no point have a said the the T5<W58. but once again, out of the box, i can't say the T5s i have driven in my life really shifted that great or felt all that wonderful, but on a couple of my old toyotas i did comment on how smooth things felt in the trans.

if it ain't your cup a tea, no ones asking for you to drink it. this is for the people that have wanted this but couldn't have it, and i thought i would share.

god love how you bring something new to table that is supposed to be nothing more then cool and fuck if you have to sit here and defend why i combed my hair a certain way in the morning.

it is what it is, it's not a perfect answer, but i saw no one else coming up with one so i did.

mekilljoydammit
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

July 27, 2011 11:42AM
From gotten to the point of giving up on my stupid Impreza RS for street use due to repeated engine issues, that pic at the top with the engine going into an RX-7 seems like the opposite of the correct thing; I mean rotary on a Subaru tranny, now that'd be cooking with gas!

But that's just me, and I suppose I have to acknowledge most people prefer boingers for some reason. winking smiley

Very very nice looking piece though.
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

July 27, 2011 11:56AM
mellow65

Does it fit between the framerails? Casual measuring says not without a bit of metalwork.

It would make up for this monstrosity that needs a car to put it in:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login