Posted by aj_johnson 
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

Re: audi 80 back at it!
January 17, 2014 01:04PM
so when do we get to see them suspenders installed eh?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 17, 2014 01:36PM
vbares
so when do we get to see them suspenders installed eh?

AJ bought a house and has been bustin ass re-doing the interior and the floors (we talked about that a lot cause I'm soon moving into my house and in the same boat) and getting the garage set up, but yeah when we get to see these AJ!
Come on (He's working on the bushes on the top mounts seeing if we can use my Ford ones since they're done and here rather than overseas ones which aren't done and over there)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

January 17, 2014 01:45PM
Marc has the ECU right now. Slowly moving tools over to the new shop. Moving couches into living room today master bed tomorrow. Starting bathroom tile on Sunday then tape and texture. Then the kitchen...

Actually I get a break from remodel all next weekend so providing no more electrical gremlins. Ill install em then.
Attachments:
open | download - 20131207_101340.jpg (23.7 KB)
20131207_101340.jpg
open | download - 20131213_171442.jpg (31.9 KB)
20131213_171442.jpg
open | download - 20131229_005022.jpg (27.7 KB)
20131229_005022.jpg
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

January 17, 2014 01:46PM
go local AJ if you can on the top mounts...you must have made some big promises to the misus - I promised mine that I'd be racing and she'd be lucky to have a roof over her head - what a DICK! - but she married me anyway...

John - what about some pic's of your new diggs eh?

Can you tell the rally car is broken and I have time on my hands 'cause I'm not rushing the repairs 'cause they're going to cost me a butt ton of $$$ ?? smiling smiley
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

January 17, 2014 02:07PM
No promises. She lets me see her naked from time to time so I try to keep her happy.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 17, 2014 03:12PM
vbares
go local AJ if you can on the top mounts...you must have made some big promises to the misus - I promised mine that I'd be racing and she'd be lucky to have a roof over her head - what a DICK! - but she married me anyway...

John - what about some pic's of your new diggs eh?

Can you tell the rally car is broken and I have time on my hands 'cause I'm not rushing the repairs 'cause they're going to cost me a butt ton of $$$ ?? smiling smiley

Well it's the house I bought way back in 01 but that I've rented out for the income. There's a big empty lot as part of this whole shebang and we went thru the whole process of sub-dividing it and so now that is a separate lot and all permitted and gas and sewer and water stubbed in and we worked with a local architect (who came around to have me make suspension for his Focus---but I talked him out of it and encouraged him to refresh his existing Fiat 131) to design a smart green house.....but that didn't work out when we got to the construction loan part...So we went back to the original plan when I bought the place: Live in the apartment, rent the house, sell the property and pay down the loan...
Then it turns out my sweet wifey's brother in Bejing decided he wants a house in USA so he's buying the lot AND the plans and is going to build the house..Cool! We're in closing for that at this very moment... When we're done we'll have a total loan left of about $29,000 and a mortgage of around 3.2%---Cool beans....THEN we'll move into the house....
And then with a total of about $300/mo expenses I maybe can feel justified in spending a bit to go drive before I'm toooooooooooo old...

What's the big que paso wif your carro?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

January 17, 2014 03:28PM
Don't want to hijack AJ's thread - but it is Audi related - so what the hey...drinking smiley

Last rally we blew yet another turbo - why? here's the theory:
a) boost host going to the waste gate frequency valve popped off
b) This caused turbina to get over excited
c) while over excited, oil pump may have cavitated over a jump around a corner, dunno - starving said over excited turbina of oil
d) as you know an over excited under lubricated turbina gets all kinds of testy
e) turbina pukes its bearings and carrier parts, some into the oil pan some into the head
f) oil pickup sucks up said bits into oil pump
g) oil pump reduces pressure due to bits jambing high pressure piston - but of course not enough to make the big holy shit light go-off

So I finished the stage, with no turbo and a NA 20v.

Crank needs a polish or a new crank
Pistons need to be replaced
Valve seats adjusted
Cylinders lightly honed

and of course a new turbina with an accusump boyfriend so when she's excited she'll always be properly lubricated...

and that's my story...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 17, 2014 04:55PM
vbares
Don't want to hijack AJ's thread - but it is Audi related - so what the hey...drinking smiley

c) while over excited, oil pump may have cavitated over a jump around a corner, dunno - starving said over excited turbina of oil
e) turbina pukes its bearings and carrier parts, some into the oil pan some into the head
g) oil pump reduces pressure due to bits jambing high pressure piston - but of course not enough to make the big holy shit light go-off

Valve seats adjusted
Cylinders lightly honed

and of course a new turbina with an accusump boyfriend so when she's excited she'll always be properly lubricated...

and that's my story...

And what are you stinkin pour les pistones? fourgé? (this is your chance to get something you want...and I just happen to be a CP Pistons dealer....)
prenez le chance, c'est seulement l'argent!)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

January 17, 2014 05:42PM
Hijack away. May learn something about how to avoid blowing turbo and motors
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

January 17, 2014 06:04PM
ok - here's the way I'd be stinkin aboot the whole deal:

a) This is a restricted moter - what is there to gain to put the forgies in it?
b) Audi panzer pistonies are pretty darned stout as they are good to 400hp
c) Rods are good too, but they have stretch bolts, and ARP bolts require machining the rods. So, I happen to have 2 sets of forged I-beam rods on the shelf, one with all good nuts and bolts - I'll be using those.

Here are the results - how would des forged pistonies help?
Attachments:
open | download - GT2871-32mm Restrictor.jpg (13.5 KB)
GT2871-32mm Restrictor.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 17, 2014 07:03PM
vbares
ok - here's the way I'd be stinkin aboot the whole deal:

a) This is a restricted moter - what is there to gain to put the forgies in it?
b) Audi panzer pistonies are pretty darned stout as they are good to 400hp
c) Rods are good too, but they have stretch bolts, and ARP bolts require machining the rods. So, I happen to have 2 sets of forged I-beam rods on the shelf, one with all good nuts and bolts - I'll be using those.

Here are the results - how would des forged pistonies help?

Well maybe not at all.. I dunno what the Howdy pistones cost, don't know what the available compression ratios are....but back when Robert Gobright used to visit occasionally we were looking at available cast stuff for his Fau Vee and seeing what sorta mix-n-match thing could be pulled off and we'ze were both shocked---SHOCKED at what any of the "usual suspects" pistons cost....like over $400 for 4 cast things that really weren't really what we wanted---ya know they'd "be OK to pretty good" but not "high performance".

Over $400 and that was for a fawkin Vee Dubya...

Now you know that since it has to have a stinking restrictor so people can pretend that it limits something other than Horse Powerz, it will never be happy to rev so if it will only do happily say 5000, then better make it do all the Horsie and Foot/Pounds BEFORE 5000...
And anyways großes Schwein wie ein Audi must make LOTS of torque..
And how do you make torque?
Engine volume x corrected compression and boost is just another for of compression effectively.
Glücklicher, die großes Schwein hat ein motor that is a good candidate for lots of compression AND lots of boost thanks to the small bore diameter it has...

So if you wanted to optimise the comp and booost you can do that easier with custom pistons than fiddling with off the shelf stuff that may not be what you want for the unique requirements of a restricted motor...

And remember the nicest thing with forged pistone is A) they are stronger---so less likely to fail, and cool smiley if things do go badly wrong the fail nicely, they don't shatter and fall in the sump---and leave the rod whirring around by itself doing heaps of evil things...I've had some cast pistons---same brand as in die großes Schwein Audi---fail and shatter and it wasn't purdy what a rod twirling around with no piston on can do in 1/100 of a second.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

January 17, 2014 11:29PM
You can make a cheap accu-sump system out of an old fire extinguisher, some braided line, a ball-valve and a schreader-valve (optional). Great way to keep some added oil capacity and constant pressure.

Steps:
-empty extinguisher, remove top, clean really well.
-Weld on schreader valve to bottom. The bottom will be the new top as the FE is mounted upside down. You can get super classy and adda pressure valve up top if you want as well.
-Plumb oil line from block to ball-valve to bottom of tank. The ball valve prevents the oil from being pushed into the engine when you shut off the engine, well you have to close the valve before you shut it down.

Presto! Ghetto cheap accu-sump for $30.
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

January 18, 2014 05:50AM
vbares

Valve seats adjusted
Cylinders lightly honed

and that's my story...
Are you heart set on a 20v audi? why not look into a newer design 20v or an ABF-T… or or.
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

January 18, 2014 07:47AM
John
So if you wanted to optimise the comp and booost you can do that easier with custom pistons than fiddling with off the shelf stuff that may not be what you want for the unique requirements of a restricted motor...

The AAN pistons, which are going into this motor, w/the 20v head offer a 9.3:1 comp ratio - we can run 26lb of boost on 93 octane pump gas - what would be a target for comp ratio and boost be given 32mm restrict?

Displacement is currently 2.2l - so could be jumped to 2.5l and still fit in the rewls..

A set of new stock pistons are $600, set of forged is $700 sad smiley

Tell me more about what you would do to improve this configuration?

Brian
Are you heart set on a 20v audi? why not look into a newer design 20v or an ABF-T… or or.

I've considered the 07k - all aluminum Audi 20v, believe it to be 2.5l - but just to get the motor setup for loongitudinal duty would require about $4k and many hours of re-fabbing shnizle - for what gain outside of weight would I get for the $ and hours?

Remember - I'm a classic grass roots guy, this particular catastrophe will turn a 4 race season into a 1 race season - the pot only has so many beans in it...
Pete
Pete Remner
Super Moderator

January 18, 2014 10:23AM
07K are iron block not aluminum! They're a lot shorter in length than the old fives but not significantly lighter.

I guess it's six-of-one. If you live somewhere where people actually bought expensive Audis in the 90s, you should be able to find a 3B or AAN fairly cheap, but where I sit it looks cheaper to get a 2.5 engine and the bits to mate it longitudinal rather than try to source the old Audi bits. Plus the head flows like nobody's business, the engine is a lot smaller packaging-wise, they're common as dirt since the 2.5 was used in the "Lease German luxury for $199/month!" base model Jettas that VW cranked out like sausages...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login