Posted by dirty_d 
DexterVW
David Baker
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

Re: VW Motorsports Shifter
October 20, 2011 06:30PM
My .02 take the 600 bucks as an acceptable loss on trading up to an 02A/M trans in your dub. Sell off your old 020 to a turbo vortexer that doesn't know how weak they really are and then buy the Kaaz for the 02M and shifter pieces... unless its a MK1 its a bolt-in operation. You shouldn't loose more than 600 on that deal. Welcome your new hydro clutch, ease of rebuilding and stronger trans overall.

Next up.. instead of mounting the cable controlled box under the car... with a little welding and cutting you can build one of these for under 20 bucks... and voila!! Motorsports shifter! The top one is a mk4 shifter on three pedistals and the lower a mk3 with the bottom cut off and the legs welded on. Learn how to adjust the cables (takes 20 seconds to adjust) and go on to worrying about something else, not adding more complex custom stuff to your car. Another upside... you can "borrow" shift cables from cars in the lot if you ever break one.

OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2011 06:43PM by DexterVW.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

October 20, 2011 07:00PM
i really dig the coffee heater in your golf.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 21, 2011 01:07AM
Tim Taylor
I can absolutely make those at the $600 price point if you can find ~15-20 people who want one (sadly this is the part where it always falls apart). I've been kicking around doing something similar for my Toyota transmission. They're all basically the same geometry with slightly different motion ratios.

If you want someone to bring a Golf around to prototype with, I could probably arrange that... winking smiley
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

October 21, 2011 01:22AM
fliz
So how do you make this work on an 020?

And does it work that much better than replacing the plastic linkage parts with heim joints?

I don't usually have a problem with that end of the linkage, but I find it aggravating when the shift rod bushings gum up with mud/crud and the shifting gets crunchy. Also, this would alleviate the can't-shift-because-I-broke-a-motormount problem.
lapinGTI
Nicolas La Branche
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Rabbit GTI 1984

October 29, 2011 05:01PM
Hi,

I am working on a VW motorsport replica shifter for my solidworks cours. It's almost done, i have all part and the asembly file.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If anybody really interest in a production, i can send the files that can be use to produce G code for CNC. In exchange of all the machines parts. What do you think of the drawning?

Rabbit GTI 84. Rally, GR2.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Elite Moderator

March 19, 2012 12:10AM
Bringing this one back!
A few weeks ago I had the rally car out at a track day and everything is fine. Get home and the car won't go into reverse. The vw has the 020 box with the USRT shift linkage. Now before I get a good idea and replace the tranny with an 02a, can someone measure the length of the 2 longer shift linkages? I'm hoping that it is an adjustment issue. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to what happened. Thanks.
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

March 19, 2012 08:51AM
Robert Culbertson
Bringing this one back!
A few weeks ago I had the rally car out at a track day and everything is fine. Get home and the car won't go into reverse. The vw has the 020 box with the USRT shift linkage. Now before I get a good idea and replace the tranny with an 02a, can someone measure the length of the 2 longer shift linkages? I'm hoping that it is an adjustment issue. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to what happened. Thanks.
Check the orange bushing in the shifter box as well as the one that mounts to the bracket attached to the subframe. The "golf ball" piece tends to melt or wear away over time. you can buy the busing rebuild kit for cheap if you have not done so already. its a crappy design overall and i think the USRT adds more complication then needed.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Elite Moderator

March 19, 2012 01:20PM
The orange bushings and the golf ball are all in good shape. I have a friend coming over with the little alignment tool tonight, hopefully we can get it figured out!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login